Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some critique on this character im currently working on...

OrcConcept.jpg?t=1237856336

orcprofile.jpg?t=1237856378

close2-1.jpg?t=1237856422

shield-1.jpg?t=1237856847

ugh2.jpg?t=1237856464

ugh5-1.jpg?t=1237856519

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    are you wanting it to look like your concept at all?
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you wanting it to look like your concept at all?

yea Dekard I thought about it, as far as the color of his skin is concerned I may change my texture according to that? If i add har I will have to re-sculpt and normal map him im assuming?
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think he was talking about the face...lets say you gave me that picture and said "I'll give you $100 if you find me this orc" ....and then i brought you back your model....i probably wouldn't be seeing that hundred dollars
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    se7ered wrote: »
    i think he was talking about the face...lets say you gave me that picture and said "I'll give you $100 if you find me this orc" ....and then i brought you back your model....i probably wouldn't be seeing that hundred dollars

Priceless!!! :D

Rock the mullet???

On a more serious note.... looks good thus far. You could probably push your sculpt in the face area a little more. Solid start. Keep up the good work.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont overhaste your steps,

Its sometimes good to lay it aside for a week, and get back on it and see what you can change.
    If you were in the mudbox phase, you could have changed alot of things.

but right now, you posted quite late.
    so all the feedback you will get will set you back quite a bit, and people will give you less crits you can work on since its not likely you will go back some steps to fix it. (starting a fresh model is better at times)
    so for next time, its better to post early

also including a wireframe shot is a good move

dont let this demotivate, make sure to finish it and learn from it as much as you can! :)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model is pretty neat,the shield sculpt looks unfinished.Mainly due to the rough sculpted details that u have on it.You can go for a more patient approach with that.May be try using alpha stencil maps for a neat sculpt which shows good curves. also prepare the base mesh to suit the design which might be time consuming as well,but its worth.
    Vj
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    go right back down to the first subdivision layer, and work in the major forms from your concept. the long thin face, big chin etc. the concept has character, the model has none.
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it. Im already learning a lot thus far...
    Rock the mullet???
    Yes!!

Also I noticed with fresh eyes, his ears are super red, does anyone agree?
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tighten the edge loops on your non organics or use chamfering.
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tighten the edge loops on your non organics or use chamfering

Ah ok notebookguy thanks....
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made changes to the face today to grab the likeness of my concept, would have shown it sooner but I was trying to get high score on Mercenaries mode in RE5, anyway here it is.....

what should I change, or not change.....?

orcrevise.jpg?t=1238185569
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    nothing, i think he really looks like an orc
    maybe disort his face symmetry more (pull ears up/down, lips, etc, small horizontal changes)
    then add the skin pinches like around the lips in other places in the body and in various scales

also - his crotch is too low, give him teh wedgy
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe disort his face symmetry more (pull ears up/down, lips, etc, small horizontal changes)

Hey shotgun, I actually plan to set up a rig for him in a pose actually, so he will have a bones in his face and ears to change his symmetry. Thanks for the help...

Here is an update on a more likeness of my concept, im actually deciding to go with the green hue because im just feeling it more, besides I did a character last year with the same color scheme as my concept so I wanted to change things up a bit....

feedback is much appreciated....

orcrevised3.jpg?t=1238473110
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should more on form in low-division
    It look bulky ...
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get some professional critiques on the work that I have done for this character so far. I have recently decided to trade the sword in for an axe that I currently started working on, I feel it will suit this character better than a sword that looks like it came straight out of Gandalfs arsenal.

Thank you.

orcwip-2.jpg?t=1238888594