Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

heavy armor sculpt now with more fatty

*Current*

heavy2z.jpg

So. some concept art first !

heavyheavycopyes3.jpg

heavycopyxj0.jpg

so im designing this for a game i am working on, second image was the first attempt. first image was the second attempt although it is just the torso. the upper right concept torso was picked as the one to work on first.

BIG NOTE : the arms and legs are just placeholders so i can get a feel for how humanoid arms and legs would work. the shoulder guard however is part of the actual armor.

heavy2.jpg

one other note, the human will be inside the torso.. so its basically a mini mech design as opposed to a powersuit design.

i am liking how the armor is turning out, the upper half is fine ill sculpt some real arms for it soon, the problem now though is the legs, im thinking maybe non humanoid legs? like the hind legs of a dog or something, basically some kindof leg that will fill out the shape better from a side view.

Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah will definitely need better designed legs, as it looks really unbalanced at the moment.

Perhaps something like these (minus the Transformer parts)

Decepticon+Dropkick-+robot+mode+_legs+detail_.JPG

but with bigger feet.

or

ed209-24.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leviathan, my thoughts exactly.

thanks for the images btw !
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arms dont seem to proportioned with the head, even in a mech suit. But thats just my opinion, The Modelling and Zbrush are professionally developed.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Reminds me of Vader.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathelmz wrote: »
    The arms dont seem to proportioned with the head, even in a mech suit. But thats just my opinion, The Modelling and Zbrush are professionally developed.
    the arms and legs are just placeholders

:shifty:
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daark : you mean darth vader?

placeholder arms are still there.. but i tried (maybe in vain) to flesh out the legs out.

not really sure what to make of it right now.. it kind of looks like a bunny mecha ?

heavy2u.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    planaria wrote: »
    daark : you mean darth vader?
    No, Big Van Vader, and his Mastodon mask. The red sculpt looks just like him to me. :poly136: (But those pictures I linked aren't very good for comparison). Maybe this is better.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno, doesn't look mechanical enough and does not really flow well with the torso. Also feet are too small, I'd guess he's a pretty heavy dude so the feet will need a bigger surface area if you don't want him to crush the ground beneath him.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leviathan , yes i would have to agree. i think if i pull the torso down further so it goes away in the sideview it will look a bit better.. and probably another leg piece instead of those weird tuby things would be better. ill try the bigger feet, mecha designs sometimes have small feet but ill see what looks better thanks.

daaaark : vader is awesome !!
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Dunno, doesn't look mechanical enough and does not really flow well with the torso. Also feet are too small, I'd guess he's a pretty heavy dude so the feet will need a bigger surface area if you don't want him to crush the ground beneath him.

Stop taking Leviathans advice, its just not looking better with the direction he has given you. I liked the first concept better.

Im sure if you would have listen to my advice you would have fully enjoyed it better. Just becuase Leviathan has some nice sketch paintings dosnt mean that he gets this "Automatic" inclination to where your artwork stands. Listen to the one who know your concept, rather than wanting to change the whole perspective of it. Open the character with the normal legs. take a look at this concept, all i did was move the arms up, as for them legs, make them thicker at the top adjecent to where you beleive the human legs would comfortable fall into.
    12-5.jpg
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the mechanics of this by the way have you thought about how it will really walk or about how cool it would look?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notebook guy :

Before i worked on this i was looking at powersuits and really thinking about how humans would fit into them. basically what i came up with is that it would be extremely uncomfortable to be in this one since the proportions would have been so off for how much armor it has that the human inside wouldn't fit very well. at best you would be riding the crotch on the inside like it was a motorcycle. and if your arms managed to reach into the powersuit arms they would only fit in part of the way. this is why a lot of Japanese mecha suits have the second set of arms and such so the pilot will actually be able to move the arms around. if your arms are stuck in a cylinder you cant really control it by having it follow your arm movements or its arm movements would be constrained by how much yours can move, which would'nt be a lot. so in the end i just opted to have the person in the middle of the cockpit, sitting like you would sit in a lazy boy, they would have a bmi on that would just read your thoughts, that way you dont have to worry about these annoying mechanical problems. also the "head" is not where the humans head is. its just a central cluster of sensors that pick up visual and other such info the pilot needs to operate the thing.

the arms wont be moving that much, there pretty much just there to house guns. the rabbit leg design atleast in its current form should move pretty well. the other option though is to just seriously fatten up some humanoid legs. those would have to be some tree trunk legs. when i get the time to work on it ill mock up something and see what i can come up with.

and anyways in most games even if you have a human character there arms hardly move at all.. essentially all the arms are there for is to hold the gun, maybe do gun reload animations, throw a grenade.. but for the game im doing it will just be firing the gun and aiming. the thing i need to worry about though is the pitchangle animation .. when the player aims up and down and that's one reason why i prefer the legs to be wide apart so that you can run and aim 180 degrees down at the same time.

hopefully when i get some time i can try to work on two versions of this, one with rabbit legs and one with tree trunk human legs.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well since doing what deathhelmz mentioned was the easiest thing, ill start off with that for today.

heavy2.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so working on beefing up the legs ..

heavy2.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i added in the arms.. in noticed in this shot that i completely forgot to fix the back up doh !

heavy2z.jpg
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
    its lookin really good so far
  • torontoanimator
    im loving how modular it looks :) it really looks like a bunch of mechanical parts, very good job!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    take a look at the first and most recent versions... great progress man. Lookin really solid, this is really gonna shine with a good spec map (har har)
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, i think im going to go through it and try to clean up everything and maybe add a tiny bit more detail in parts. then its on to retopo and things like this.

mostly im afraid of the texture part of the whole thing though .. but ive got a few ideas for making it look nice with cavity maps and using parts of the normal maps to select areas for dirt maps , not to mention the aomap.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi!
    I think it looks kinda cool but I would say, but maybe be careful with the zbrush sculpt approach. You could try to take a few screenshots with a more usual shader applied to it (or export as obj and open in another viewer) to see how this all holds together.
    In my experience this kind of sculpt tends to lose it's strength quite a bit once baked (looks soft/blobby in the end)

You could also use this base as a guide to create a very tight meshsmoothed model - this might be closer to what would be required in an actual game production pipeline.

Good luck!
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior .. yeah im definately cracking out on the zbrush approach. hopefully today or tomorrow i can throw together a retopo mesh to test it out and see what you guys think.

my biggest problem though is just texturing them afterwards.

btw this IS going into a game. however its just some indie game.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heavytorsowip.jpg

first low poly test in blender, just did the torso to see how things look.

its currently sitting a bit high at about 1600 tri , my target for was about 5000 tri .. so that leaves me 3400 to do the arms and leg.. so 800 or so for each limb ? not very much but it might still work.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive seen next gen characters go up to 10k so i wouldn't worry about 5000, There's too many variables to consider to determine a standard across all games. So go with as little as you can to represent what you need to, but not so little as to impair how good it looks. Your main concern is the outline at all angles, stuff that stick in like a lot of those circle and square depressions can be handled by the normals alone.

Sometimes you have a boss character that needs to be impressive, and you get to put a ton of polys on him at the cost of him having no minions around and a simpler battlegound (Berial from Devil May Cry 4's demo is a good example of this). So I would say put your goal under 10000, and make the challenge about staying as far under that as you can without sacrificing outline quality.

Making a low poly isn't as much about staying under a certain amount as much as it is about not having polys for pointless reasons.

You should show your wire frame too so people can tell you where you're using them needlessly.

edit : Wrote 1000, i meant 10,000
  • notebookguy
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art-machine thanks for the tips.

i would normally also go with 10k but unfortunately i have to use this sucker in tgea (i hate this engine btw) also the game plans to run 32x32 and maybe higher games soo im thinking 5k should be the max limit for lod0 and then have 3 more lod levels that aggresively go down .. like second level will go by half or maybe 33 percent at the lowest.. but 3 and 4 lod levels will go down quite steeply as at that point the model should be far enough away you can. im thinking 3 should 800-1000 and 4 should be somewhere around 200-300 assuming it will all hold together..

i would post more today but i have a monster hangover from some solid gold party my friends and i got pissed at. but here are the wires for your viewing pleasure.

heavywires.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    actually looking real nice keep at it man :)
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definately a few problems with some of the details not being as sharp as i would like.. ill be seeing what i can do to clean things up in the photoshop stage..

also need to start thinking how i will texture it, which is easily the part i am the worst at.

heavyo.jpg

heavy4.jpg

also for the curious a wire shot.

heavywires.jpg
  • altasa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    again, this also looks very good
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the zbrush sculpt is a good sketch, but to really make this rock you need to do it in traditional hard surface subd style. Or refine it even more in zbrush.