Home Technical Talk

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
so just started today I've been getting this error message from the bottom right task bar:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

it will randomly happen while using the web. And makes gaming impossible as it crashes any game pretty much instant.

Anyone else get this problem recently??
a search of the web shows hundreds getting this problem back in 07-08 but thats all i've come up will and there is no solid solution to the error.

am i the only one in this boat?

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    There's some "solutions" that you can try here: http://www.nvlddmkm.com/

I've had to deal with XP and a 9800GTX BSOD with every direct X / openGL application before so i know how frustrating this is, i hope you find something that works :(.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I had this problem a while back, I believe it was signs of the graphics card dying out. I only say this because my graphics card did indeed die recently, and towards the end this error occurred more and more often, making it impossible to use any 3d applications/games until the screen got covered in green/pink/black pixel glitches gradually and then it would just crash without the nvlddmkm error - ultimately my computer wouldnt start at all without resting the graphics card.

So from this I think it was a overheating problem, or at least heat drastically affected its performance in some way. This wasn't a simple overheating problem that can be fixed by improving the other components of your pc/airflow/whatever, something was broken for sure so I RMA'd the thing and got a new upgraded gfx card in return :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just got a new pc and vista64 is giving me this problem quite often.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running vista 64-bit as well with a 9800 GTX+.
    took the card out yesterday and cleaned it and so far no problems anymore. I figured it was an overheating issue but there was no drastic increases while I was monitoring it. But there was a decent amount of dust in the card so I think that was the issue.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I'm running the same thing. x64 vista with a 9800GTX. I will occasionally get this problem if I hit the "G" key for game mode in the UT3 editor in complex scenes. But it doesn't happen every time. Very random.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i know it happened quicker the harder i was pushing the card so maybe it has to do with bottle necking of data flow.