Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First decent character model WIP, need feedback

Hi, all. I'm a recent graduate student, but my portfolio is quite lacking at the moment, to say the least. I hate pretty much every 3D project I've ever done in school, except for this character that I started at the end of my second to last term. The rest range from run-of-the-mill amateur crap to topological eyesores.

2viewhead.png

3view_wire.png

questionshot1.png

Anyway, I've got this character that's intended to be a game model with a sort of hypothetical optimization for the UT3 engine. I can honestly say that it's my best work to date by a long shot, and there are a few pointers I'm fishing for.

1. Any suggestions for optimization? I know there have to be a few edges I can remove, particularly around the arms, legs, and scarf strands. He's at 8,686 right now, but I'd like to cut it down below 8,000 polys if possible. I know there are some aspects of detail that I can just as easily simulate with normal mapping, I'm just not entirely sure what.

2. The inside of the coat below the belt (as you can see in the third image) has me thinking. Do I really need that inside layer of faces, as well as the faces along the bottom edge that connect the inside and outside? I want to make it flowing, possibly applying a cloth modifier to it, and I really have to question whether or not I need that level of thickness.

3. The connections between the torso, the legs, and the bottom part of the coat are all loose and separated. I have honestly no idea how I'm going to connect them. A former instructor of mine had me detach the flowing part of the coat as a separate element to prepare it for the cloth modifier. Do I need to do the same to the scarf strands if I intend to make them flow?

Thanks for looking! :)

Replies