Home Technical Talk

Work flow for a certain room - - Old Gym

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Hi, I'm trying to re make a room for Unreal 3d for some practice. Here's the reference image: http://www.bestmmatorrents.com/

To see it in full you have to right click the image in the background and hit view background.

I'm relatively new to game art. I'd have no probs doing it high poly for production, but I know the techniques need to be different for games.

How would you guys do it? The texturing would you tile it? How would you do the windows in the walls, etc.

Please don't restrict your comments to just how you would do those two things. Just tell me as much as you can lol. I want to know a good, accepted workflow for making this sort of thing.

thanks.

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I can't figure out your reference. if YOU can view the background, then copy just IT'S URL here, so we can see just that. I don't even see a background on that page, just black.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finding this image felt like a scavenger hunt. It feels like there should be hidden data in it to point me on my way!

Anyway,
    http://www.bestmmatorrents.com/themes/bestmmatorrents/images/backall.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    How would you guys do it? The texturing would you tile it? How would you do the windows in the walls, etc.
    Depends on your 'budget', and your style.

You could tile the floor. Or you could give it all unique texturing if you really want to. It's a hardwood floor, no one is really going to notice either way.

You can create 1 window, texture it, and copy it all around, or you can texture them all individually.

Depending on the budget, you might model out those ceiling supports, or they could be textured planes. Depending on the camera angles, there might not be much visual difference between both techniques.

What is your platform, polygon budget, and what angles will it all be viewed from.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    go modular, tile your textures and your geo.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your platform, polygon budget, and what angles will it all be viewed from.

There's no budget. It's just a personal project. I just wanted to know what would be the best techniques you guys thought might work for it. I guess I want it to be viewed from multiple angles: I want the player to be able to go in there and walk around in Unreal 3.

What size textures would you generally use? tiled 1024 by 1024 for the floors and walls? Also, how would you do the windows? If you look close you can see they have a smooth curve to the top of them. What would be the best way to do that for a game?

cheers
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, but with Unreal would I make the walls in the editor, or would I make the walls as static meshes? The windows are what is confusing me at the moment. I can make em in Maya, but shouldn't they be done in Unreal?

Also, can you guys give me a run down of how you would approach it? In regards to texturing and modeling?

thanks.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    make modular pieces of walls, floors and windows and assemble them in unreal. Theres many ways of making something like this. Just experiment and find a workflow you like!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason people aren't going to tell you exactly how to make this is like Peris pointed out there are half a dozen ways to make this and in this case none of them are really wrong. If you can think of a way to make it, its probably going to work just fine. Because this is just one room and not part of a bigger environment or a whole game you are very free to spend a liberal amount of everything to make it look good and it won't impact performance.

Of course it would be a good idea to make the most using the least, hopefully you don't need anyone to tell you that. Using the least amount of resources without it looking like garbage is pretty much standard operating procedure. Just don't be wasteful and things should be fine. I personally think that's the way to go. That's pretty much your guideline for just about any project. Being creative with your construction is a big part of the job.

As for world brushes vs props, it doesn't really matter there are plenty of games out there that demonstrate both methods.

Honestly in the time its taken to try and wring out ideas, you could have done it 2 or 3 times.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Vig, I asked my teacher at Uni and he pretty much said the same thing as you.

I was just curious how other people would do it is all. I know how I could do it. It's just that I wanted a few different opinions to learn from.

It's coming along nicely now, cept that I made a 1024 by 1024 texture for the wall that has a line of grime near the bottom, which doesn't work with my wall because I'm using a wall that isn't 1024 by 1024.
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although I don't have an answer to any of your specific questions, I can give you the following links which help a LOT. Its just a matter of digging through it to get the answers you want.

Official Unreal Developer Network

Here is a website chock full of tutorials and information. This Link is the tutorial homepage. [I actually found this from an old PC post; so credit given to Hourences, the site holder]

Link 1 This gives some general standards and dimensions for the typical Unreal environment.

Link 2 This page is basic terrain creation

Link 3 Physics added to the environment

And then of course, there's Polycount's own Unreal Engine 3 - MASTER THREAD

May not help in the short run, but definitely will in the long run.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all those links. Like I said, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about it all, so those links are awesome. Cheers.