Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

U.C.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
I am in a class at the AI - San Diego. For this class we were to take part in the Unearthly Challenge. We were to find a concept and model a similar style scene.

Here is the concept I chose. It was in a stack of other concepts to choose from so I do not know who created it originally. But whomever made this, I give them credit for it.

32_zombie_morgue.jpg

So I used this concept as a base for my project. I liked the style and layout of this image so I keep mine very similar.

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am choosing to not do water in my scene.

So far I have everything, that I want in the scene, modeled and unwrapped.
    I have till next week to do all the texture and lighting (thinking Unreal if I have the time).

The lighting in these shots is temp. Will replace at a later time.

ss_01-1.jpg

ss_02.jpg

Sitting around 34,000 tris

C & C welcome and appreciated
  • bounchfx
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you know how to render with wireframes in Maya? Besides screen grab, because that never works out good for me.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    what's wrong with screen grabs?
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using two monitors. It never seems to look right. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or something.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey AK, where you have the candle shelf hanging with the broken chain, it would be cool to add some candles on the floor below it, like some fell off when the chain broke. The lid off the coffin thats angled looks good too, before it was too neatly placed aside.

Where you see inside of the open one too, it would be kinda cool to see some rotting mush. just yellowed decaying puss/muscles would do the trick. That or some kind of decay trail from where it escaped, and is leavin bits of the body where he goes. haha. That can be done w/ alphas tho.

As for texture materials, are you planning to keep the same design choices as in the concept art? Photo ref or handpainted. I think a stylized handpainted look could be really cool with this concept.

W/ 2 monitors you should still be able to "printscreen" then paste into photoshop, and just trim off the edges you dont need.

Good luck to you over the weekend dude!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool idea.

have a question. how come all these people at ai sd are doing the unearthly challenge now? its been over for a while. is it just for the class and not official? lol, just asking.

anyway, good luck with the concept.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zero: yes were are just doing as school project. The normal challenge is done in teams of 2 or 3, I believe. We did ours by ourselves and only in 11 weeks. We have to have a "portfolio" quality project by the end. On top of the rest of the classes this has proved to be quite a challenge for most in our class.

Jim: thx dude. I thought about the candle thing but I forgot, for the fact I was on 30 hrs of no sleep when I added those. I do like that idea so I shall add those soon. I had originally thought about adding decaying body parts but fell short of time. I do plan to make blood trails from where they came from, i.e. the tomb area and the coffins. Thought about doing hand painted textures but not sure yet.

Here are the wire screen grabs:

ss_03.jpg

ss_04.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    A.Kincadehey man, to render wires, you can add a toon shader to the whole scene. there are tutorials out there about this.
    It's easier just to do a screen grab. but rather than doing the wire frame mode in the viewport, just smooth shade all in viewport then select everything. That way you don't get the back facing wires too cuz thats just messy.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just turn on wireframe on shaded from the viewport view menu.
  • OldKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here ya go buddy

RENDERING WIREFRAME

1. In the Render Options choose May Vector. If you do not see it in the list, go to Window > Settings Preferences > Plugin Manager and check the box next to VectorRender.mll. You should now see it appear in the Render options window.

2. Choose the Maya Vector tab.

3. Under 'Edge Options' check the box for 'Include Edges'.

4. Set Hairline and Edge Weight to preference but leaving them set to default works very well.

5. Edge Style should be set to Outlines if you want Quads to show. Changing it to Entire Mesh will give you triangles.

6. Change the Edge Color to anything but black. White works well since you can change the color in After Effects or your favorite compositng program.

7. Close out the render settings window.

8. Right click over your model and choose Edges then select the entire object so that all of its edges are selected.

9. Under the Polygons Menu Set choose Normals > Harden Edge - this is what lets you render the entire wireframe. Not doing this will cause it to render only an outline around your model, kind of like what a Stroke does in Photoshop.

10. Render your scene.
  • OldKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .... when was this due
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt your a freakin genius. Thanks bud. Finally something that works good. Could not get anything to work because I thought I did not have maya vector. Stupid preferences. lol. Thanks again.

Oh and it's due next Wednesday...

Here some updated wire frame shots. Sorry for the mess you saw earlier. :)

final_ss_01.jpg

final_ss_02.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The chains hanging from the ceiling should be taut, save the one kitty-corner from dangling one.

kpcrit00.gif
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Not neccesarily KP. If the links are all screwed up orientation wise, and if the wood block they are attached to isn't too heavy, it is completely positive to see that effect in the real world. I think it looks fine like that. What you are suggesting screams CG.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx KP & Blender

I messed around with the chain a little as you said. It made for a slightly more interesting profile.

I thought of it being sorta a light little platform that would sway easily if someone were to knock into it or something.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah from the looks of it, one of those chains probably weighs more than the platform that they're holding up. You've got some solid meshes to work with, looking forward to seeing this with some texture work and lighting done to it.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick update of the texture work so far. Lighting is still W.I.P.

final_ss_03.jpg

final_ss_04.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my final shots for the Unearthly Challenge we were working on. It is not all I'd hoped it would be by this point but I am happy with it for most part. I'll take the good things and drop the bad. Will add more later on in spare time.

final_ss_01-2.jpg

final_ss_02-2.jpg

final_ss_03-2.jpg
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AK, the small flames on the candles read really well. The LVD UC is done now!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I know you want to leave the chains kind of twisted looking, but to me, they still look sort of weightless and floaty, they could use some more work if you have the time to burn on it.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'd definitely make the chains straighter, they look like they're floating a bit. The space in the links don't suggest they are tangled, looks like theres room for movement/gravity. Lots of potential in this scene.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks sir, renegade, and jimbo.

Yeah I've spent a lot of time trying to wrap my head around them chains. I've tried a bunch of different stuff with them, was really just going for a more interesting profile for it. But I do understand and see what your saying about the weight issue. We actually were talking about it when I presented it as well. So in that since I should probably change it, for I do not want that to be too distracting from the rest of the scene.

Although I am done for the class, I will more than likely keep working on this and really refine it now without any time constraints.

Thanks for the advice/comments. I appreciate the help.