Home General Discussion

Unity 2.5 game engine available for windows now!

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    so many game engines being released to play with :), still waiting on Infernal Engine demo :/
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet, I've been using the Developer Beta they put out at the Global Game Jam and freaking love it. Just bought myself a liscense, great program. :D
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Hot. It's like they are cramming the jaws of life into my billfold. No real excuse not to pick up a copy of this now.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I will let my boss know, but turns out our programmer wants engines with access to source code. Not locked out of it. I can understand his point though. Why are so many engines locking that off from developers?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sweet! isnt there some pro version that lets you into the code more?
  • boyd600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is great, buying this tomorrow!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    You can get a source license for more $$. I've been using Unity on the mac for about 2 years. Killer engine, even for artists.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Meh buddies at Cornered Rat Software are working with this.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I've been working with Unity at work for a few months now and I love working with it, and now that I dont have to shift over to a mac I will love it even more!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »
    You can get a source license for more $$.

Hmm.. Its never good financially when they have "contact us @ for licensing information" .
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    First thing that caught my eye is the way the engine handles asset importation. It sounds way too easy :poly122:
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Seamless integration with blender - not to mention it supports blender's animation actions so I only need one file for a character and all its animations stored as separate actions within. Save it and my game updates automatically. So awesome.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Oh happy day!
    this changes everything...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are the shadows?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    seamless blender support, :o~
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think you get shadows with the indy license.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »

well, so much fer unity. next!
  • rul119
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes , shadows are only pro feature

i´ve used it for one year on the mac and i´ve done some stuff that i though was impossible to do for me being an artist, is really easy to create a game/prototype/mockup

i think is worth to check the demo
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Dynamic shadows are a pro only feature. They are nice, but no where near CryEngine quality. And tbh, for performance reasons, and quality, lightmaps are a better way to go w/ Unity.

A Unity Pro license though isn't all that expensive.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I know there are a lot of torque haters out there, but considering the licensing restrictions on Unity Garage Games is bound to put forward some competitive pricing for Torque 3D.

Here are some images of the Rivers and Roads system:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3365175191_9db41dc23c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636/3365175751_3c16f6abba_o.jpg

And here is the lighting system video:

http://vimeo.com/3459341

Also Torque 3D will support the collada format, I and I was pretty sure I heard something about assets dynamically reloading and refreshing in game so you can just export and see your work instantly.

All of this will be out before the end of the year, and should make torque much more usable for small teams and individuals.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, question for all of you with experience working with Unity.

Let's say I wanted to create a simple MetroidVania platformer. Nothing too fancy. Player character jumps around the environment and shoots. Enemies follow fixed, pre-defined patterns. 3D graphics with 2D gameplay. For the moment we'll assume that there would be no doors. Each room is its own level.

How difficult do you think it would be given Unity's toolset? How long do you think it would take? (just for the coding and logic, not the art)

I'm not terribly interested in Unity for its graphical prowess. I don't care that much about some of the more advanced shading features being missing from the indie liscence. I'm most interested in Unity for its prototyping possibilities. How capable is it as a platform for getting basic gameplay types up and running?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    neo axis seems to be a bit more up my street, though i haven't delved too far in to it yet
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard - It depends on your experience in Scripting. If you have previous experience using any of the supported scripting languages (Javascript, C# or Boo/Python) I'd imagine you could create that in a fairly short time period.

Depends of course on the scope of the thing, both feature wise and length wise, but it'd go very quickly.

It's certainly the easiest engine I've ever used for such things.

And to put it into a bit of perspective, Unity was one of the engines widely used during this year's 48 hour Global Game Jam, which means that there were some pretty goddamn impressive games made in 48 hours using unity.

So to answer your last question specifically:

How capable is it as a platform for getting basic gameplay types up and running? - Very goddamn capable. Amazingly so. Just download the trial and give it a go around for yourself.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    neo axis seems to be a bit more up my street, though i haven't delved too far in to it yet

Having used both, I'd definitely go with Unity, unless there's a specific thing Neo Axis has that Unity lacks and you need. We used Neo Axis where I used to work. It's a decent engine, but nowhere near the quality of Unity. We also ended up running into a good deal of technical issues with Neo Axis if I remember correctly. Though that was nearly a year ago, so I suppose it may have improved since.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    finally out for windows and no dynamic shadows D: ? if i wanted to precalculate lightmaps for hours and hours id be using unreal or source *shacking fist*
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Richard - It depends on your experience in Scripting. If you have previous experience using any of the supported scripting languages (Javascript, C# or Boo/Python) I'd imagine you could create that in a fairly short time period.

Snap. There goes my last excuse not to buy this thing. I have years of scripting experience in Flash. I'm fluent in Actionscript 2.0 and 3.0. And I actually already know C#. Object-oriented scripting is no big deal for me. Ditto for using scripting in conjunction with existing libraries and functions. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to try it out at the moment. Gotta do my taxes this week, and I've been trying to stay consistent with Dom War IV.

Screw it. I'll download the trial when I get home. I can afford to spend a few extra hours seeing how it feels.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of torque haters out there, but considering the licensing restrictions on Unity Garage Games is bound to put forward some competitive pricing for Torque 3D.

Here are some images of the Rivers and Roads system:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3365175191_9db41dc23c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636/3365175751_3c16f6abba_o.jpg

And here is the lighting system video:

http://vimeo.com/3459341

Also Torque 3D will support the collada format, I and I was pretty sure I heard something about assets dynamically reloading and refreshing in game so you can just export and see your work instantly.

All of this will be out before the end of the year, and should make torque much more usable for small teams and individuals.

As a torque user. There is no Colladra support in TGEA. You have to use an ancient method of having null groupings and bounding boxes.

"assets dynamically reloading and refreshing in game so you can just export and see your work instantly."

Are you sure your not thinking of the next Gen Engine that they are touting now? Leaving 1,8 users up a creek since they promised many features they couldnt deliver. Now want to charge more for a new engine? There are no dynamically reloading assests. Also, you have to hand code all your shaders.. THEN start the engine to see any effects. Then tweak the code, then restart the engine.

Maybe all this info your receiving is on the Next Gen engine that Garage Games has been working on. The current TGEA engine at least, uses ancient import methods.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like the collada route is getting more popular. I've had a look at Neoaxis, it isn't as spontaneous as other engines out there, but has a good forum full of info. Unity has no pathfinding, as such, there are some people working on it though. I'm not going to spend too long delving into AI/A* programming if I can help it.

Are GGames still using the collision mesh export lots of linking to objects crap, or are they going to use collada?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    As a torque user. There is no Colladra support in TGEA. You have to use an ancient method of having null groupings and bounding boxes.

"assets dynamically reloading and refreshing in game so you can just export and see your work instantly."

Are you sure your not thinking of the next Gen Engine that they are touting now? Leaving 1,8 users up a creek since they promised many features they couldnt deliver. Now want to charge more for a new engine? There are no dynamically reloading assests. Also, you have to hand code all your shaders.. THEN start the engine to see any effects. Then tweak the code, then restart the engine.

Maybe all this info your receiving is on the Next Gen engine that Garage Games has been working on. The current TGEA engine at least, uses ancient import methods.

I'm ONLY talking about their next engine which is called "Torque 3D". You thought i was talking about TGEA, but the next engine is called Torque 3D while the current one is called TGEA. Torque 3D is suppose to be out before the end of the year.

Also pricing information has not yet been released. It will cost more than TGEA but then again it will offer TONS more than TGEA.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/16679
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like the collada route is getting more popular. I've had a look at Neoaxis, it isn't as spontaneous as other engines out there, but has a good forum full of info. Unity has no pathfinding, as such, there are some people working on it though. I'm not going to spend too long delving into AI/A* programming if I can help it.

Are GGames still using the collision mesh export lots of linking to objects crap, or are they going to use collada?

They are going to keep their existing proprietary format called "DTS" but will put in collada support and probably make that their main format.

With regards to collision. You no longer need to export a collision mesh. TGEA supports polysoup collision so you need only hit a check box in engine to turn on collision and turn it off, and its all perfectly accurate.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    They are going to keep their existing proprietary format called "DTS" but will put in collada support and probably make that their main format.

With regards to collision. You no longer need to export a collision mesh. TGEA supports polysoup collision so you need only hit a check box in engine to turn on collision and turn it off, and its all perfectly accurate.

Ahh, thats much better with the collision, only have a torque license 1.5 so I didn't know about that. The future release looks promising, they have some nice dynamic lighting.

back to the thread topic i guess now, oops.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Polysoup only works well with simpler meshes. You still need a collision mesh for assets and things like vehicles. Otherwise the system goes to a crawl.

Your right, I did misunderstand you, but I can tell you MANY TGEA users are very upset with how Garage Games is handling this whole shift to their next gen engine. From not fixing things promised with the current, to the new pricing scheme. Don't suppose you have heard about the programmer turn around at them? How can they expect to have a consistent engine when they cant even keep a core group? Or for that fact, their crappy documentation on even the current engine thats been around for years. Even their wiki still leaves alot to be desired. From listing of methods no longer used, to missing the supposed examples the wiki links too.

Look, maybe the new engine will be everything they touted. In the meantime they have burnt many bridges with the developer group they supposedly where focused on.

Anyhow, lets get back on Unity. Which is a much better system by far.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Torque has always been a bunch of cobbled together broken shit. Every aspect of the engine has been in a state of 'it will work better in future updates' for this entire decade.
    With regards to collision. You no longer need to export a collision mesh. TGEA supports polysoup collision
    Why use a collision mesh when you can do things with much more effort? :poly142:
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just downloaded the Unity Demo for windows and I have to say its really impressive. I have never seen a game engine that's so easy to use. The learning curve was almost non existent thanks to the help buttons and excellent documentation.

Importing a model from Maya was as simple as saving my scene and then directly importing it into unity. It was basically a single step art pipeline. Its definitely worth ever cent it costs.

I think the only good thing about torque by comparison is access to the source code and much more liberal licensing. I'm pretty much in agreement here with everyone on TGEA losing a battle with Unity. Torque is just a big ball of source code that you can turn into something given the time and resources; where as unity will actually help you make a game right of the box.

I think most people would take instant results over cheep source code, but I know there are some projects, like mine, where source code is a must. However, I am, now, defiantly aware of why everyone is so excited about Unity.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the licensing is a bit harsh. no shadows for indie users.

you get all the graphical features with the indie licence of neo axis

I mean do they really think I am going to spend all that extra money just to get shadows?

For casual users its bit but much I suppose

i phone licensing is a joke:(
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    warby wrote: »
    finally out for windows and no dynamic shadows D: ? if i wanted to precalculate lightmaps for hours and hours id be using unreal or source *shacking fist*

you can use dynamic shadows you just have to pay alot more and get unity pro which I do think is unfair as shadows should really be a feature even in the indie version in my opinion.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Im excited to play with the demo. :)
    sucks with haveing the shadows cut off but i guess they just need something to make the pro version really worth to buy. But even the pro is very cheap in comparision to other engines.

@ Ruz
    why is I phone licensing a joke??
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D wrote: »
    why is I phone licensing a joke??

Probably because they charge a fee on top of whatever base liscence you purchase, and that fee is twice as much as the actual indie liscence. So, $200 for a base indie liscence, and another $400 for iPhone support. It's $600 to use Unity to make iPhone apps. And of course, that isn't even figuring in the fee you have to pay Apple to distribute your application on the iTunes store.

This sort of pricing structure is assuming a decent return on investment for iPhone apps.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    How about you go and build your own 3d game engine on the iphone for 600$ ;)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    there is a opensource engine framework for the iphone by the lead engine coder of GTA and editor of the shaderx books. The framework was also used as base for the torque iphone engine. That said it's more a framework than a engine, and more for the coder types, but it has physics, graphcs, iphone related input... a very good start if you have a coder at hand http://oolongengine.com/
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the guys at Unity were nice enuff to respond in the Area to my shadowless indie disatisfaction:
    @claydough: sorry but that’s the choice that we’ve made and you can always upgrade if you feel the desire to use Pro features.

well. that solves everything.
    grrrrrr....

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/stories_bts/bts_detail/unity_ceo_david_helgason/
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Must need to see if this will make it easier for me to make my own games. ^______^
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    Meh buddies at Cornered Rat Software are working with this.

Nah, they just pay us to use the name it's our (tm)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Claydough, I don't understand why the shadows are such a big deal for you? Are dynamic shadows required for whatever game you want to make? Because honestly, you'll get a better looking game by baking your lighting anyways, as well as better performance.

And Xenobond, definitely try it. I've been using it full steam for 3 weeks and tinkering with it for a couple of months, and it's been amazing so far.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    dynamic shadows can be an integral part to a game.. so imho yeah it does limit you
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its not really an issue in making full game, its just the fact that you want to mess around with it and see what it can do.
    you are not likely to upgrade just to get to test out the shadows.

In fact its more likely to just annoy any potential client
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    From what i know there is now way at all to bake lights in unity! From what i read you have to bake it in a different app but i cant understand how that make sense, you then also have to build your whole level in that app which is kinda stupid!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster - *can* is the important part of that phrase. That's why I asked if dynamic shadows were integral to the game he was making. If they are Unity indie is a bad engine for his project.

Ruz - that's like complaining that Maya Complete will just annoy potential clients because it's missing some features. You want all the features, pay the full price. They're not running a damned charity for hell's sake. The fact that there even is a 200 dollar version of an engine this good is pretty cool.

Davison - That's how lots of game pipelines work. It's not ideal, I'd definitely also prefer in-editor light baking, but it's by no means that huge a deal, and pipelines can be built to accomodate it. I've used maya for light baking on multiple projects before.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Claydough, I don't understand why the shadows are such a big deal for you? Are dynamic shadows required for whatever game you want to make? Because honestly, you'll get a better looking game by baking your lighting anyways, as well as better performance.

Baking is fer level builders, housewives. and potheads.

Doesn't matter now. downloaded their shadow demo. ( download and judge fer yerself )

( why the shadows are such a big deal for you? )

I dunno myself sometimes It's not like many are in a rush to leverage cinematic shadow composition on a grand Tolandesque scale anyway.
    I guess I am propagandizing. The first thing I do when I get my hands on any engine is check out the dyn shadow quality situation.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Davison - That's how lots of game pipelines work. It's not ideal, I'd definitely also prefer in-editor light baking, but it's by no means that huge a deal, and pipelines can be built to accomodate it. I've used maya for light baking on multiple projects before.

But that makes me wonder how much performance will be lost when you build it fully in a different app? Unity has als that nice stuff like instances, prefabs, terrain, "Speedtree"and "LOD". Unity is mostly used for makeing low budget casual games and casual gamers usally dont have a good pc. Which also makes the very performance hungry dynamic shadows kinda useless for such games.

They should have made something very good for light baking and didnt programmed dynamic shadows at all instead IMO! :)