Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Store Front Environment

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Will be taking this concept thats up on big sandwich games and make it :)

StoreFront_HIGHRES.png

Also gonna add to it as just having one building is way to boring for me :P

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    cool man, glad to see you taking a crack at this, we have a had a few come in but most were rather lackluster, I'm interested to see your take on it.

If it turns out bangin' ill be sure to shove it in the art director's face for consideration when when are hiring.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Osama would be Proud :)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    cool beans, get crackin.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Indeed this shall be a sweet piece.

AK
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looks a little bleh right now havent been able to work on it too much but heres some progress:

SFwip1-1.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm that's a nice concept. I may take a crack at it as my next project.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start man. The part under the sign is a little off. The posts holding up should stick out further than the ledge itself.

Good progress thus far. Keep it up.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    yeah just noticed that, i was messing around with the lenght and hieght of the building and forgot to bring those out :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    can i has unreals?

SFwip2.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, if you want to get really picky, those support beams wouldnt really work since theyre not grounded in anything solid. like, right behind them in a thin wall. if they were a little higher and also acted as the ceiling beams for the inside room then it would make more sense. unless they already are, then im an idiot.

anyway, way too saturated so far. this does look interesting though, keep it up.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i think once you get the balcony railing the support pillar won't look so weird. might even be sorta be cool to have some 2x4 boards prop'd up against one of them to sorta reinforce a pillar.

Also agree... desaturate some.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i wasent gonna post this due to i didnt really do anything but add the railing add dirt and play around with the lighting.

the color pallete changed a bit too my dad told me the new color looks better but i think i should stick to the concept what does everyone think?

SFwip3.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Lay off the bloom and over saturation because right now you're blowing a lot of the texture detail away... BUT... the railing is f-in uber, seriously starting to see a good piece in the making man.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah little bright. But good progress so far. Coming together nicely so far.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Lay off the bloom and over saturation because right now you're blowing a lot of the texture detail away... BUT... the railing is f-in uber, seriously starting to see a good piece in the making man.

yeah i got a little trigger happy with the bloom, i think its becuase im one of those guys that loves the effect bloom makes :P

ill turn it down also will work on desaturaing it a bit more :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    yeah i got a little trigger happy with the bloom, i think its becuase im one of those guys that loves the effect bloom makes :P

ill turn it down also will work on desaturaing it a bit more :)

I'd go with a lot more. The reference is a tan that's about 30% saturated, yours is a yellow sitting at almost 70%.

I like the railing too though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Wooooooaaaaa, hahah steady on there mate. 1s things 1st, the railing looks great and has a nice color pallete/detailing.

I dont understand the rest in the latest pic though, insanely saturated and glowing almost, looks like the railing is floating in a scifi acid trip and not grounded together at all. I would desatureate it probably by atleast 50-70%. How are you bosting it, directly though the diffuse or by boosting the post processing levels? If its PP like the bloom, I would suggest going in the other direction.

In terms of lighting I would have a medium amount of yellow/tan in the color of your key light and let that add some saturation and help harmoize it all. then focus on bloom after you get some nice highlights and surface material definition. I agree that some bloom can make scenes look dope, just make sure its a subtle final touch rather than something used to try to make stuff look good right out the gate.

some stuff I would suggest studying that could prove a useful reference is: the 1st couple levels fo R6 vegas, Socom: confrontation (heheh shameless plug) , or resident evil 5 (especially this as its mindblowingly gorgeous in most areas) also, that hl2 insurgency mod had some nice middle eastern stuff and its free.

keep at'er man, the normals on the pillars and railing are looking great so far, I would reccomend focuing on communicating and elaborating the details in the concept eg: scraps of trash, dusty road etc to realy take it to the next level. seeing how you have progressed latley in the past few months I bet you can really knock this one outta the park dude.

cheers.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good man keep her up. I didn't even know sandwich had an art test. I might get cracking on this one or the balloon art test which looks sweet BTW.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your producing alot of work at the moment at a good level and you are showing improvement... but you do seam to work within your comfort zone. it would be nice to see you really push either technically or conceptually.

besides that the peice looks nice, id push the destruction and wear and tear though make it look more nartural.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    your producing alot of work at the moment at a good level and you are showing improvement... but you do seam to work within your comfort zone. it would be nice to see you really push either technically or conceptually.

besides that the peice looks nice, id push the destruction and wear and tear though make it look more nartural.

i couldent agree with you more, for my next piece i want to think it through a little before i start anything as i want to diversify my portfolio.

anyways heres and update didnt work on the lighting at all i just took mostly all the bloom out, road textures is just a bsp model with a random texture on it so thats why its so ugly :P

been looking at the concept more and realised i fucked up on the color choice as you can see with this image so ill be redoing the diffuse maps on the building texture:
    SFwip5.jpg

work is really getting in my way, might need to fix that :shifty:
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    with those pillars you could make one long tilable in V texture/model that you could chop up at different heights and then add the top bottom stains with a decal, this would give you alot of freedom.

with the colour tones, it would be nice to get the saturation in the shadows and protected parts while making the exposed washed out and sunbaked, maybe a two layer diffuse and blend with verts for the main wall material
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    with those pillars you could make one long tilable in V texture/model that you could chop up at different heights and then add the top bottom stains with a decal, this would give you alot of freedom.

with the colour tones, it would be nice to get the saturation in the shadows and protected parts while making the exposed washed out and sunbaked, maybe a two layer diffuse and blend with verts for the main wall material

i might see what i can do, gonna play around with the color a bit more, worke don the barrier and colors today after work im burnt out lol hope to get more done tommorow:

SFwip6.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better colors...can you post one of the concept and this one next to each other?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i wouldnt go with this angle as it makes the house seem badly distorted, and you are hiding the hole in the wall that way, i would try to match the concept 100% but this looks good man, great job !
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking at it now...i'm not buying the paint erosion/chipping on the top floor. Too clean...as if the paint just chipped right of. The concept looks more like a lot of fading, some deep scratches...and it looks like some erosion from water dripping. Also, the dripping off the beams is really dark...i'm not even sure the beams would drip like that
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Dirty ae, i need to get crackin on some stuff as well... inspiration!

I agree with se7ered though. The paint right now is sticking out to much (not physically sticking out) but it seems like its not blending in the way it should, is it a decal? Maybe try mess around with the blending in unreal, additive or something.

Moar!!!