Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RTS unit modeling

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shamusboy polycounter lvl 9
I've been working on several units and elements for an RTS game I am involved with and would like to get some feedback on a couple of models I've been working on. I don't have them textured just yet as I'm still working on getting the polycount down.

The first model is a British (circa 1880's) Peon unit.

BritishPeonWIP.jpg

His polycount isn't too bad at 620 but the joints still need work.

The second unit is for the opposing Martian force and first I'll show the original concept for the unit.

Martian_design.jpg

And here is the model.

FrontThreeQuarters.jpg

The polycount here is far to0 high at 824. I know I've spent a few too many polys on the feet and perhaps the face, so I'm still working on this aspect.

All the models will have at least one LOD level each, so it may not be too bad. Still, the lower the better.

Feedback, suggestions and critiques are very much appreciated.

Replies

• moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha, ilike that second one! are you planning on rendering it similar to the concept? or going a different direction with the skin?
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    That concept is awesome. It has such an egyptian/african feel to it. I hope that style finds its way into the 3D art of the game, even if it's just expressed through the martian buildings.

As for the models, They're looking good so far. All I'd recommend is that you loosen up their stiff body on the human. It's early days though, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
  • flow3d
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    I dont have any love at all for the first model,

but the second one - LOVE it! :D
    there are a bit of wasted reduntant polygons around the crotch, feels kinda busy you know..
    also a few vertexes in the face which could be merged and still retain shape.
    and, instead use those polygons on making another segment on the neck, because that pillar looking stretch of polygons doesnt look good or animate well.

I like the loli tits, I tend to do the exact same shape and polygons when I make brests :)

wanna see more of this blue model! ... not as much the first one ;)
  • Shamusboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Shamusboy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

@moose: Yes, I want to see how close I can get to the original concept if only to see what works and what doesn't.

@ tanka: I was going for an African type theme here most definitely. I was looking at modern African artwork and riffing on that. I'm playing with the building designs still but again, they'll be inspired by African themes most likely.

@flow3d: Thank you very much for the suggestions, I'd very much like to hear what you think of the revisions.

And here is the revised model. The polycount is much more managable now and I've refined the basic geometry to better reflect the original design. Once the geometry is settled, I'll work on the texture and normal maps.

Again, critiques and suggestions most welcome. Thanks :)

Martian_Refined.jpg