Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Saidin311

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Well I like the idea of doing a machine. Because I'm pretty bad with organic forms. So maybe a machine can be a stepping stone to use my hard edge modeling experience on something more dynamic.

I'm certainly not limiting myself this early to this type of design, but this is what I first started to think of today.

Also, I'm pretty horrible drawing on my tablet, so excuse the bad sketches.

The idea is that the machines found that insects had the highest survival rate or any living creature and had existed on the planet the longest so in order to create something light and survivable they mimic'ed ancient fossilized insects for their scouts and light armored warriors.

idea4.jpg
idea1.jpg
idea3.jpg

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, solid idea there, get to concepting. A giant mechanical cockroach scout FTW.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Go go trilobite discman.

It's a neat idea, but it might be tricky to have him really stand out from the crowd unless you go nuts with the mechanical internals.

Maybe you could have a controller with a whole swarm of these little guys.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys!

Yeah I totally had the idea of a swarm too. Actually 3.

What I was thinking would be the trilobites (tri? 3? get it? hah) would move as a trio. Each scout doing something different. All working in tandem, but one would be recon, the other would be weapons, and the other could be ultility of some sort, with claws etc.

I like the idea of some sort of controller. I love this idea of alchemy for creating base ideas, also since I'm not so good with drawing I can really get an idea out quickly.

Started with some sort of crab/spider idea where the trilobites would dock on the back end of the hive sack. etc. I'm worried I might get too far away from the mech brief. Or end up creating dual classes. But It's early so I'll just continue to brainstorm.

alchemy_thumbs1.jpg
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    I'm liking the left one but I'd do some more to see what else you can come up with.
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i def like the idea of a controller. I don't know how I would fit multiple characters within the limit. Def like the top left idea. Keep it up
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lunch time doodles. Trying to stay loose, alchemy gives me a bit of comfort over straight drawing in ps... Just trying more insect ideas.

I'm really in love with the idea of small scout machines (a trio of trilobites if you will) I may end up just trying to model out of a few things because I can probably do it faster than trying to draw the concepts for the different parts of each machine.

But I'm also maybe getting on board with the idea of an insect-like War Machine, something that would stand very high (multiple stories) and blow shit up. With a giant housing on its back where other machines could dock and/or fight from. (might be too much like war of the worlds though, I hated that movie)

Alchemy_thumbs2.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I don't understand tablet drawing. There's just something missing from my brain when it tries to figure out how to actually draw with a tablet. I've done better drawings on paper when i was 3 years old! :P

But just to embarass myself with crappy drawings I made a simple 3d model to work from for some more ideas about my trilobites. The first trilobite I'm gonna do is the recon one. It will have quite a few camera's (HAL style) on both the top and the bottom. An armored carapace and then a spinal vertebrae type thing.

The spine will be consistent to a degree among all 3. As well as the out armor. The difference on all 3 will be mounted weapons on one, and claws on the other, maybe even two spines.

edit: i'm also starting to think the more i think about these the more they turn into matrix sentinels, which i don't like.

I want to convey speed so I'm going to keep the bodies slick, but as it stands I want them to be a bit beefier than my first idea.

It's also very early so I'm most certainly leaving myself open to new ideas. But it's so much easier and faster for me to model the ideas than fart around with shit drawings in photoshop. So I don't mind abandoning these if a better idea comes to me.
    idea7.jpg
    idea6.jpg

On with the crap paint job.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting ideas, and I like the idea of the swarm.
    The latest update isn't my favourite, I prefer the more fun shapes that were more insect-like--You could probably find a way to keep them looking a lot like insects, but with all mechanical parts.

I say keep working on detailed insect thumbs until something really feels right. :D

Good luck with it!!