Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some random work

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Diwan polycounter lvl 13
Hello everyone, I'm quite new to polycount. Have not been an active member here and my good friend Adam reminded me of how much of a good forum it is with lots of talented artists! So here I am, and below is some stuff I've done for classes last quarter.

render.jpg

Another Picard...

MappingforGames_Final02.jpg

Some props inspired by the Persian Empire:

gryphin.jpg

bazu.jpg

kulah01.jpg

and this is what I'm currently working on aside from schoolwork, the Fightclub scene for the Game-Artist move contest:

door.jpg

Thanks for watching, any c & c would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think your coffin golden thing is the best piece you got there, or at least the one that looks finished. You should try and concentrate in painting details into your textures. Give it more depth with shades and color contrast. Try to light your work with a simple 3 point lighting to show off depth and contour on your work. So far i see some solid modelling... some wireframes and UV layout with ur txtures could help so we could give you some hints on how to make things look better. Your work is on the right direction. You just need to give that extra umph to you work so it stands out. Its time and dedication on the details that make a difference here. Hope that helps.
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    well, you aren't off to a bad start. Take step back and look at a couple of your pieces for a bit. Like the portrait of Patrick Stewart. compare it to a photograph and try to take as many mental notes about what different between the two. then try your damnedest to correct them. (i.e is his mouth really that wide?) It's easy to get caught up in the moment and be like "DAMN, look at what I just made!", but you aren't doing yourself any favors by staying in that mindset.

The Persian statue is another good example. You obviously have a reference photo, so pay more attention to it. Does the statue in the photo look as lumpy as the model? Are the ears you modeled really the same shape as the ones in the photo? Couldn't the made extend the same distance down the back and have much crisper edges than what you made? Ya just gotta get in the habit of asking yourself these kinds of things.

Your'e on the right path though, just push a little harder...
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    PERSEPOLISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    The fact that it's Persepolis means you should definately pay more attention and make it super nice. I've been toying with the idea of doing a bunch of Persepolis statues for ages and baking them and shit. You need to bring out the sharp lines more. The clear lines are part of what makes the persian statues so awesome.
  • Diwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    oh wow, I wasn't expecting anyone respond to this thread lol.

glottis8 thanks! its actually an armor piece for the lower part of the arm, used in 18th century Persia, but everyone see it as a coffin haha whatever.

whipSwitch and Harry: Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments. Its funny cause I've got the same comments about the statue and captain picard's mouth from my teacher haha. They where both from my zbrush class, (love zbrush) but I def need more practice.