Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crit for Crysis Level

Hello everyone,

I've just discovered the PolyCount forums, and I have to say there is some really amazing and inspiring work here.

Anyway, to the point of my thread.
I'm making a custom Crysis map for my interactive Design class at uni. I was just wondering if you guys would be able to offer some constructive criticism on what I've done so far, so I can make improvements in certain areas of the map that need it. Any tips, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

crysis_level2.jpgcrysis_level3.jpgcrysis_level4.jpgcrysis_level5.jpgcrysis_level1.jpg

Thanks for the Help :)

-Clayton

Replies

• |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome to the forums,

There's not much to crit here tbh, two tiny islands connected by a wooden walkway/bridge with giant palm tree on one of them is a bit to little to crit. Pretty generic custom crysis map.

Try coming up with something more unique.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    only crit is that the map is strangely dark ?!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep looks as if you have a transparent grey layer above everything
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What type of map are you looking to make? Singleplayer/Multi?

Either way, its quite sparse right now, and any fire fights would have players constantly in the open with no cover. Adding more land/vegetation should help that.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    the main problem i see here is that your level lacks an overall concept. What kind of game-mode is the level intended? Multiplayer-Map, Singleplayer-Mission?
    What kind of area do you want to show? There are tons of things you can aim for whithin the Crysis theme: a small outpost, an Radar or communication - Site, ...

I think you should really think about what purpose the area will have. If you got that clear then try to imagine how such an area would be constructed. Which kind of buildings are needed. Try to imagine which assets will be needed to fill the area and at the same time fit to the location. (A tank might be a bad idea.)

If someone is looking at your overall level it should be clear what purpose the area has AND that the level can fullfill it's intended purpose.

If you got all this information you can start to bring it all together. Always think of: What is the player supposed to see or to do at certain location.

If your target was to just create some tropical islands and throw the player right in the middle, you haven't accomplished this either, because then I'd ask you: Why are there outpost-buildings and a graveyard on an lonely tropical island. And whats the player supposed to do there? Having a sunbath?
  • clayton_barton
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll be sure to keep everything you said in mind. It's good to have different points of view early on, it makes it easier to change certain aspects of a project.

I'm starting to conjure up some ideas, and develop something a little more concrete. I was thinking about making it a mission based map, where the player was required to rescue some hostages being held captive somewhere on the island. And I'll take out the grave yard, there's really no point to having it there.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted.
  • clayton_barton
    Hello everyone,

Here's an update on my Crysis Level assignment. As you can see I've added more to the level, put in more vegetation, and worked on the texture blending.

There's no AI or other NPC's at the moment, I'm mainly concentrating on the actual making of the islands, and getting them to look right. Let me know what you think, any suggestions and constructive crit is greatly appreciated.

rescue_crysis_map_00.jpg

rescue_crysis_map_04.jpg

rescue_crysis_map_01.jpg

rescue_crysis_map_02.jpg

rescue_crysis_map_03.jpg