Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] Room of Damnation (Warhammer 40k)

Update 3/24

So for now it is done for GDC. Off to get it printed (Kinkos is going to hate me) Enjoy.

DAEnviro1.jpg
DAEnviro2.jpg
DAEnviro3.jpg

===================================================

Hey polycounters long time no chat. Been swamped with things to do and getting ready to graduate...get's overwelming fast.

Well here is my last piece my school will get from me. Please note it's not 100% done and the Textures are justs tests and have no spec/normals, also UVs are a little funky in some spots.

Overview of the environment:
Well a fast Warhammer 40k history lesson so you can understand where this is coming from.

The Dark Angels home world was destroyed, however a large force field protecting their main base saved a very large chunk of the planet. the Dark Angels took this and tunneled in and made it their new home. They integrated warp drives and everything. this is known as The Rock.

One of the Dark Angles main goal is to capture and bring to justice all of their brothers that fell to Chaos. So that's where this scene comes in. It is on the rock and a room where the Book that holds the names of the fallen lies and where the Librarian of the chapter will condem the fallen.

so here is what i have so far.

colorpass.jpg

colortest2.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

Full scene is sitting at 80k Tris at the moment and there is still the entrance way that hasn't been added to the main file.

A struggle i am having is what to do with the front of the podium area. Not sure if i should model some stuff or just do some nice normal map design. Kinda at a design loss. I think i have been looking at it for far to long.

As always Comment and help are welcome.

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking pretty bad ass so far. I really dig the archway fillings: the sword with wings. As for in front of the podium area maybe you could add some braziers or fire pits of some sort. Or if you want maybe, just make a fancy trim with your normals and some extra geometry.

AK
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.

Don Ott made some good suggestions to me yesterday about adding more to the walls and making them more interesting then just textured planes. Completely agreed and have been busy doing that. Also started to integrating the blast door hallway.

AK i like the idea of braziers you had i think they would fit nicely in the curve of the stairs. And one they are lite it would give a nice red under highlight on the large angels...thus making them a bit more intimidating.

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

update3.jpg

I'll update again later tonight.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the main tailing Wall texture done and built the ceiling instead of just having it a texture. The spec might still need some love but i like where it is catching the light from the "glow orbs" so i will see once i have the thing fully lit.
    walltextured.jpg
  • Agent Michael Scarn
    Thats a nice effect, especially once you get that spec map going. I think it would improve the scene if you would put more pixel resolution int othe suports goins across the ceiling, maybe try to bake in some ao just to add some authenticity to the texture.

the wall teture looks really nice, it'll look even better when you put in UE3
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Yeah the roof and walls are looking a lot better. Agent Michael is right, this will look very nice in UT3, assuming you are planning on doing that. It seems that the walls are catching that blue light well but the ceiling itself is not so much. I think it could have some light bouncing on it. If you add the braziers casting warm light up as well, it will come together well. Great work so far though.

AK
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like watching the progress on this project. Its coming along nicely. Warhammer is always rad. Im interested in seeing the altar/pulpit area a bit more cloesly. You may want to soften the octagon shadows outside edge a tad.

agree w/ mr AK
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade wrote: »
    Nice. Yeah the roof and walls are looking a lot better. Agent Michael is right, this will look very nice in UT3, assuming you are planning on doing that. It seems that the walls are catching that blue light well but the ceiling itself is not so much. I think it could have some light bouncing on it. If you add the braziers casting warm light up as well, it will come together well. Great work so far though.

AK

Yea i started to set up the side angels that are holding torches so i threw a few red lights to see what it would look like and yes it is a very good mix.

As for the roof the light is actually in the glow orbs and passing through the alpha so that's why it isn't hitting the roof. I'll probably throw a bounce light in there when i am actually lighting it so that the roof can catch more light.

As for UT3, it's Long term goal will be there. do to time for the actual project it will most likely be a max render until after the graduation shenanigans and GDC.

VikingJim, Ask and you shall receive. Still not 100% done in the texturing but it's close. (and the shadow of the bone hand after i moved the light is sweet.)

podeum.jpg
    booktop.jpg
  • Agent Michael Scarn
    Those are really nice details on the podium, especially on the little statutes with the swords.

The light from the cieling is good, but i woul change teh color and make it more subtle. if toned down it might make the setting even cooler just because it sets the tone of gloom.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured the roof cross beams and started to lay out the floor textures.

roof.jpg

floor.jpg
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Still needs more edging and trim like we discussed. You should define where the central steps meet the rest of the floor better, right now it's an abrupt texture change with no noticeable seam or element of how that floor actually seats into the rest of the floor.

Maybe I'm blind, but im not seeing where the red light near the podium is coming from. The "windows" are so far saturated they look more like paintings than anything.

The floor needs more resolution. Next to the green center the main overall floor panel looks low-res and too photo-shoppy.

Not really seeing any spec, which for surfaces such as metal is almost more important than the color.

I know you are trying to cram this in before GDC, but you would do a better job focusing on a small area and making it super-cool than getting a half-finished rush-job trying to do the entire scene. I'd say zoom your camera in on the podium area, make that look sick and take it all the way to completion for now, then spread out once that is done.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking better, but Ott is right about a lot of stuff. The center area definitely needs some kind of trim besides the same green as inside. You may even benefit from the stairs themselves to be a different color than the bottom surface. It would really benefit you as well to get the smaller area done really well. Then when you have more time spread out and continue what you've started.

AK
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a few days sense i updated. Been working on the front of the room. The large angels should be done by late tonight.

For the Spec/Rez issue on the floor it has been taken care of. I was working on by business cards earlier and forgot to switch back from CMYK. I didn't notice this until I tried to put the actual PSD into Max. It yelled at me for that one. So i went back changed it to RGB re ajusted all the layers and i got that working.

As for the Spec map i guess i had to blow out the Specular lvl. Somethign with all the geomatry out that was causing the spec to dissapeer. Once i hit all the geomatry and was looking at one thing isolated the spec would show. None the less i worked around it.

FrontArea.jpg
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey steve!
    the scene is coming a long. So far the fire looks like planes duplicated around, make sure the sides are not symmetrical on the photo/ texture. You need dark purple for bounce light, the reason why shadows are never dark because of Global Illumination, light bounces so it makes the shadows lighter.

Keep at it and make sure to increase the light brightness.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Renders at the Top!
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice. The lighting turned out well. You made great progress from the last time I saw this. Textures look pretty sweet and the floor looks a lot better now. Fire does look a little weird in close up but reads well in the other shots. Came together very nice. Good Luck at GDC! Have a good time.

• BJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BJA
    Looks awesome, nice mood and atmosphere. I especially like those rays coming from the ceiling, adds a lot of depth to the scene. Not a big fan of those blue lights on the floor though, they look kind of technical and don't fit in very well with the mystical environment, imo.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well most of the tech stuff had to be pulled for now so yes i agree the floor lighting makes a lot less sense. After GDC ill start getting the rest of the pecses done. But i figured it was best to show what i had finished then to have non textured things in there.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smart move. Hope it pays off. Have a good time at GDC and good luck.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade wrote: »
    Smart move. Hope it pays off. Have a good time at GDC and good luck.

thanks AK, and thanks for your input on this so far.
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is the forum where people make the games I do not have time to play anymore because I just finished Bio shock as a healer and can't bring myself to play as harvester? Oh by the way awesome stuff D_mn.