Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grey

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
Hi Polycount. I'm starting a new model and will try everything to finish it this time haha. I saw this concept sometime ago and completly loved it. Fr

Replies

• Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, but why spend so much time on the body detail when only the face will show? Or are you planning on changing the desing? Just curious.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the face, Vitor. You've done the concept justice so far :D
    The proportions look a little weird to me however. Here's a quick paintover to how I would have done it.

vitor-001.jpgvitor-001.gif

Keep at it, mate.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty promising so far man. On top of what Casey pointed out in the paint-over, it looks like his arms could be a bit longer. Elbows should line up in the belly button area so you might need to extend the biceps just a little and extend the forearms a tad. Keep it up dude...looking forward to seeing a full character from ya :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i really love these rough looking sculpts that look like actual bronze or something
  • brokendragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good so far. His neck looks a little stretched though. Also, his legs look a little meaty, but if that's the look you're going for then more power to ya.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice work! I actually like yours the way it is- in fact I feel like you should make him bulkier. half of what seems to be making him look like such a bad ass in the concept is the dude is huge- a-la Marv from sin city,

that dudes concpets are awesome, but his website makes me want to punch kittens!! (hi matt)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot for commenting guys.

Codeman-> Lol indeed. I'll keep it as close as possible to the concept. I modeled the body just for practise. I don't plan to detail it much more anyway, at least for now. As this is for portfolio and with job hunt on mind a good detailed body wouldn't hurt.

caseyjones-> thanks mate. There was something bugging me on the proportions and I think you got it pretty well. I'll rework it.

NyneDown-> Hey dude, long time no see. You got really good man... damn you! :poly124: Uh and thanks for the critics. I'll improve that.

Harry-> Thanks, glad you liked it.

brokendragon-> I agree on the neck. I tend to make all necks too tall.

konstruct-> Thanks. He does look huge on the concept, but he is also old. I'll see what I can do.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Crossbows are a bitch for a man with one arm. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's got a clip...

Nice work so far, really diggin the concept.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Haha Dekard, but yeah, it's not a regular crossbow :D

Vig, thanks.

Well found a little bit more of time to improve this. Any critics are extremly welcome. I'm moving to the cloth basemesh now:

Hair seems a tad high now that I notice.
    63963982.jpg

80787962.jpg

... i need a better material...
  • Zcorpion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exelent stuff!. I REALLY dig that concept art also;)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty far out man!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea re-drawing that would suck balls with one arm, unless there was some sweet built in mechanism perhaps like the stock can be used as a lever or something? love the concept flawed characters are the best! but id aviod putting some of the packs on the left side of his belt, that would be a pain to reach for.

the knife/sword is great too nice 'n' scary

facial forms lookin good, torso is a bit long as caseyjones pointed out, like the overall concept cant wait to see the gear /dogs.

-Woog
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice update man....torso still feels a bit elongated but I think that's partly due to his shoulders being shrugged upward. Keep the updates coming y0! ;)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Zcorpion -> Thanks man.
    Rens-> thanks dude. Glad you are liking it.
    woogity-> Agree. I'll think better some of the packs.
    .NyneDown-> Thanks dude. Everytime I see your portfolio I'm surprised by how much you improved and I stand still in time. You make me jealous!

I'm finishing my cirurgy class, and between exams, presentations an practise I have no time. Began the basemesh for the cloth. Just wip stuff from now...

57516293.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    working on the overcoat.... still a lot to do.

43506895.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it's cute that he has a pocket where his arm was :) the knife in back looks a little hard to get at if he was going to grab it in a hurry...but maybe put it on his missing arm side...or if on his back then angle it horizontal so it's easier to pull...or maybe i'm just being picky
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    If you're going to invest a lot of time in this guy, make sure to put a lot of thought into him. Most crits i expect you might get would be in regards to his one arm, it's not often you see someone with just one arm and no robotic replacement in this kind of art.

I look at his apparel and the stuff he has on his belt and it looks like things a man with 2 arms would wear. Laces that require 2 hands, boxes and buttons that would require 2 hands to open or close. Not to mention the crossbow.

Technically this peice works fine, but you might want to really consider giving him 2 arms, would be the easiest fix. Or rethink the attire and weapon.

I'm usually the last person to think worry about this stuff, but i've been burned by it enough times that i'm always keen to consider it before i spend a lot of time working on things. You're lucky in the fact you can still change your direction at this point either way, change his attire, or give him his arm back. Or hey, just do what you want, just my 2 cents, and not stuff i wouldn't normaly worry about either ;). Regardless it's lookin cool, keep it up.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good, but I would say that he needs to be beefed up. Alot.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Marshal Banana -> Yes I think you are right. I thought the body model was okay for an old man. But with the coat on he really looks a lot slim compared to the concept.

crazyfingers -> You got some points. Giving him 2 arms is out of question, I think that is his best detail. About some of the pockets i'll change some of them. But i want to be closest possible to the concept.

se7ered -> Thanks for the suggestions, I might put it horizontaly them. will see what looks better.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Some more work on it; most of it just place holders:

73451651.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    ^Just a little bit update:

some critics are highly welcome! :D

53360395.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the jacket arround the arm should be more loose, right now the jacket seems to be sticking to the skin
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason the head is really making me think "Orson Welles", especially in the most recent shots.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree on the jacket, it probably shouldnt taper to his wrist at the end, but im sure u just havnt gotten to that yet. the face looks realy nice, could use a little asymmetryt o mix it up, but all that surface fun comes later. the inside of the collar looks great. im really diggin the sculpting on the jacket around the belt too.. coming along nicely!

-Woog
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say, go bolder with that jacket and folds in general. Otherwise you might end up with a bit of a mushy look, and I think this character deserves FUNK!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    bitmap-> Thank you my mexican sweetheart. You like it loose ah?
    Valandar-> If that is a good thing thanks :d i didn't know that guy before actually.
    woogity-> Thanks. Yes assimetry on the face will be done later. The jacket on the wrist is still untouched, I plan to do some details there. Glad you are liking it.
    pior-> Thank you master pior. You mean FUNK for real? o.O I'll work on that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    the jacket around the arm should be more loose, right now the jacket seems to be sticking to the skin
    What the crazy Mexican said.

The right arm is coming off a little thin and "vacuum sealed". The base shape is looking kind of sickly now that the bulk of the coat has been added.

It's pulling double duty, the only kind of push ups he can do are one armed, ha! The coat has a nice thick and loose look to it on the torso and up into the shoulder but then looses that as it runs down the arm =/

Oh and I think Pior wants you to draw stink lines above his head, that kind of funk.

Shaping up really nicely tho! :thumbup:
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Been a lot busy on school latelly, but whatereve, here is the current progress:

85901419.jpg

If you please keep the good criticism coming as usual it would be very appreciated.!

(and I'm finishing this one for sure! I kinda need some finished stuff on my portfolio lol)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looking better so far. But it looks like the coat should be longer. It shouldn't have that curve on the bottom edge, either. Also, the sleeves could be a bit wider. Keep it up!