Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Balrog

Hello everybody this is my first thread on here. I started modeling Balrog ,since i was inspired by sf4. I'm almost done but i think im having some proportion problems in the front and back view, I think the side view is fine. if you have any critics you can give me on proportions,detailing,or anything else i will highly appreciate it:)

balrogg-1.jpg

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, I like his face. Some crits:

-The feet look strange from the front view, they should be pointing away from each other, looks more natural that way
    -The knees look like a granny's armpit, some reference should fix that :)
    -Bottom edge of the shorts is a bit wobbly
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    holy jesus is that a bowling ball in his pants? I know he's black but DAYUMMMM.

it's looking good. though the feet do look a little strange from the side view too. check some ref yo!
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the face alot. Looks neat! But I really think you should take another look at some anatomy. The arms has some really weird muscles going on. Also, he should have way bigger back muscles, to hold up those big arms.

Keep working man!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    bounchfx wrote: »

lol.

agreed...
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Overall it looks awesome but I agree with the bowling ball and feet/legs. The legs make it look like his centre of gravity is behind him, you should be able to draw a line from the head to the heels with the character keeping balance.

edit: The lower legs seem broken/rigid and there's no heel,
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »

it's looking good. though the feet do look a little strange from the side view too. check some ref yo!

Boxers wear a cup...and that's actually pretty accurate considering how small/tight his shorts are. They wear this under their shorts:

Jock_Strap_w_Ab_Protection_CUP-2.jpg

It's thick foam.
  • ApprenticeEverything
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for how wide his hips are in the side angle, his legs are awfully thin. i'd either bring his ass in a bit, or make his thighs thicker.

easiest way to correct the upper body in front/back view, would be to pull the shoulders out a bit, give his back some muscle, and give him a ribcage.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    thanks alot for the comments guys, i was lost i will definitely fix these problems now.
    Bowling ball in pants.hahahahahahahhah funny shit
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    Boxers wear a cup...and that's actually pretty accurate considering how small/tight his shorts are. They wear this under their shorts:

Jock_Strap_w_Ab_Protection_CUP-2.jpg

It's thick foam.

I do mixed martial arts, and you can barely see the cups no matter how tight your shorts are... because they curve in with the groin area. As everyone said triceps need work, 2 main muscles in the triceps plus a side one from the interior you see blending into with the biceps. The face looks great, but I beleive you need to fix the base mesh before you apply details in Zbrush, good luck :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ps.

when i opened this i was disappointed at not seeing a big fiery daemon. get it right next time, k?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Anatomy looks cool, good style too. The facial features are solid, like it very much.

I'm with Gir, I wanted to see a flaming evil demon too :(

Crits! yes - I think that the shorts are looking a little too constrictive. I understand there's a big cup under there, but they really just seem too tight for an athlete to be mobile with a wad of damp cloth hugging the crotchular or grundular regions so snugly.

I'm also a little confused about the symmetrical folds of cloth in the abdomen region.

other than that I think it looks good. Well executed, just tighten up the little things

well done :P
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    nice work
    id make his shirt and shorts less symmetrical..
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    haha I love when people screen grab their toolbar so you can see what they have up on the other monitor :P Looks awesome dude! Maybe watch the feet -- I think he needs more heel so he doesn't fall backwards.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    r4ptur3 wrote: »
    haha I love when people screen grab their toolbar

i thought we'd already covered the "bowling ball in pants" stuff

pretty cool model ;)
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Thanks for the comments everybody, heres a little update i made the shoulders wider to give his back more support for the arms. I rotated his foot out more to look more natural, OH i reduced his bowling ball in pants:) I still have a lot more to do, i have to fix the knees and arm muscles. Do yo think his head is too small, and his arms are to long.

balrogg2.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice update. I think it looks better than before, via the shorts and feet. I do believe the head looks good but the arms do seem a little long. I have a feeling its just because the additional length from the boxing gloves.

AK
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Pope Adam- thanks for critic on the crouch area, i will fix the symmetry in abdominal area

A.Kincade- thanks for the advice

Mazvix- thanks for the big ups on the boxer's cup, i did my research and realized i was wrong.

almighty_gir- yep, i pulled the ass in more and widen the shoulders more for back muscles that helped alot thanks

thanks everybody else for the comments so far, still grindin
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Ok everybody here's an UPDATE, I've work on this bastard all day, I widen the shoulders more so the back has more support to carry his big ass arms. I totally did the muscles over on the legs and arms, i may have another sudiv level to tighten things up on the muscles. I gave him a heel on the boots, and made his neck longer so i could make his neck muscles bigger. Oh I'm still not sure if the bulge in his pants is right or if his arms are a little long ,prob because of the extra padding on the gloves.

Untitled-1-4.jpg

oh heres a pic of balrog if you forgot what he looks like.

9917balrog_18.jpg
    balrog-in-street-fighter-4.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice man. If you're thinking about making the gloves bigger, why not make his wrists smaller. In the SF4 pic, he has giant forarms, but his wrist tappers off pretty quickly to give a feel of his gloves being bigger then they really are.

Awesome sculpting man, keep it up!

Edit: Oh... and his triceps look a little off, it could be me though :P
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's improving. The knee area and the neck are looking a lot better. Looking at the concept, you may want to lace up his boots. But overall good work still.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also fix the symmetry in his clothes, it looks pretty weird.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ps.

when i opened this i was disappointed at not seeing a big fiery daemon. get it right next time, k?
    I too was disappointed, but that was quickly replaced by an overwhelming feeling of awesomeness. Really nice work, I agree with the crits about the gloves and the crotch. The crotch probably wouldn't be much of an issue once the diffuse is applied but it wouldn't hurt to dial it down a notch if its still pronounced after that. I also agree about the the symmetry in the cloths and in general they look a little vacume sealed.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    latest update is looking better, but try and look at the general forms of the concept. his body should be its widest at the top and the thinnest at the feet. he's a big framed guy, try to bring his hips out in the front view, then expand his ribcage and shoulders outward too.

keep it up :)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dudley > barlog (or M BISON ! if you know your street fighter!)

much better then before though the front forarms look funky to me...maybe smooth them out so there isnt such a apparent line between them (kinda looks like there is a gap)

shoes are better to but I say go back and refine them some more, hope to see this completed some time soon :)
  • Loraine Howard iii
    OK guys I'm sorry, i have not been motivated to work on him lately but I'm back. The changes i made are really small to see. I pulled out his shoulders more and pulled his chest out more to make him look more thicker (almighty gir) I changed the wrinkles in the top and trunks, i have to admit wrinkles are my weak spot in modeling. i want to finish this model, im tired of looking at it. I still have to work on the boots,gloves, pores and veins to the body.

32.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the shirt, i have a tip/idea.

i'm assuming you modeled his body underneath, right? so select the shirt subtool, and project all it so that it takes the same shape as the muscles underneath. THEN subtly tweak it to get the folds that you want. he's a big dude, so i imagine his shirt will be pretty tight, leaving specific pinches here and there.

it's looking a lot better though :D
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
  • Loraine Howard iii
    hey (That DON) whats up, you prob remember my entry on game artisan for the sf4 challenge, i never had a chance to finish it so i post it up on here.if you have any critics let me know.thanks
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey everybody, this is a small update. I worked on some anatomy problems,most of it is blocked out but not smooth yet. I have not touched the boots yet, I was thinking about putting a cape over him and a Shadaloo chain on his neck, you know pimp him OUT:poly121:. I think it will make him look more interesting despite of his generic design,what do you think?

poly.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do think that with that added it will make it more interesting. The cape would be more of a robe. This robe would have more thickness to it. Maybe add some loops to hold a strap to hold the whole thing together. Since you have it open just leave the straps dangling to give it a more interesting profile.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    A.Kincade-nice idea on the robe, i will definitely do that
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Yo I'm back, sorry for the long period i had a dry spell. I'm done with the character itself, the only thing that needs more work is the boots,robe, and gloves. So far this damn robe is getting on my f$#king nerves, need better reference. what do you all think so far?

1.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better. I think the robe turned out well.

The front part of the sholder area is a little funky. Can see your brush strokes. I think the back and the areas around the waist turned out nice though could maybe use some more smoothing to it.

Keep it up. Get the veins and finish dem boots. :)
  • Loraine Howard iii
    hey guys think I'm basically done almost. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some pointers on the shoe laces. i tried doing it and it came out sloppy on top of all the other geo. Next time i'll make the laces seperate but i have to make it work for this model. not sure if i want to keep those stars on the model or not. only thing left maybe is too add some stichery on the boots and laces.

Untitled-1-5.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the laces, import into max/xsi/whatever, model the laces there, in their tightened positions. then import the laces to zbrush, and tweak the boots around the laces, to show them being pulled in tight in places.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Is it me or does the wrinkles in the shoulder area look crappy? I'm having a hard time making these wrinkles in this robe look believable. I think the front and back wrinkles look good but the side need work.Please someone tell me if the robe needs more work or what.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    idk, the shoulder wrinkles look like they were placed there, maybe if you continued them down the robe or directed them to the armpit? almost all robes you'll see wont have any major wrinkles there anyways.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Added the veins. I like the update to the robe.

May I suggest that you add a couple more shots to your turnarounds. With these take the robe off to show off the character by himself more like you had in your first shots you posted. Give you a good side by side comparison. I don't know. Just seems like a good idea since you did all that work on it.

Are you planning on adding texture or rigging for animations?

Overall turned out very nice you did a lot of work on it and it is a very nice final piece.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really nice work so far. I think the sleeves are standing really stiff right now and should lay on the surface of the skin more. Also, it doesn't matter much now if your going to rig him and stuff, but the shoulders seem really stiff also. Sort of like he is squeezing them up. I think they should be brought down and back a bit to make him look more natural. Anyways, good stuff, and I have enjoyed watching you progress with this one.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work, yeah I dont see why there would be quite so many folds and wrinkles on top of his shoulder , it could be more subtle up there
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys, this model man is making me sick but I'm enjoying my progress on it. I have never spent so much time on a character before, usually spend more time on cars and hard surface work but i wanted to push myself on organic model. There's still some things about this model that is bothering me. I'm not sure if its me but do the thighs seem to fat, I was thinking maybe I can widen his torso more to make it more believable. Oh another thing, I'm not sold on the stitchery on the robe think i made it too big. I was just playing around with the stars design on the robe, really they are not gonna be there cause i will add those by texture, if I texture him. I really want to texture this guy but damn I'm not sure I'm tired of looking at em:\ So far I just want to say thank you for everybody commenting on my piece I have learned alot just from you guys,pushing me into becoming a better artist.:)

Ged-Thanks, i thought i was add unwanted wrinkles on the shoulder area.

BradMyers82-Ok i never thought about lowering his shoulders but i will mess around with that and see what it looks like.

A.Kincade-Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm gonna rig him or texture him, but it would be coo if i did. I will prob move on to another model then come back to this.

balrogfin2.jpg

balrogfin1.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for putting up new turnarounds.

Good work getting laces in. As for the stitches. I think your right. Slightly to large and prominent. Usually stitches are flush or slightly below the fabric not sticking above.

Now that you mention in he does a have some pretty big thighs compared to his waist. So just bump that out a bit like your saying.

Good effort and can not wait to see your new work.

Keep it up
  • Frankie V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    Nicly done. The proportions are a bit wacked yet fitting of the character. The head though does seem to be a bit small considering the frame. The detail and expression gets lost with in the mass.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys im having a problem with my normal map version. I see alot of people overlap theie uvs to save space. Well I attempted to do this on his face and I get a sharp line down his face. How do you fix this? Im using x-normal

aa.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Warby did a write up on his solution you can find it here: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51088

However on something as important as the face you may not be able to get it perfect, but that's the only solution I know of, unless your target engine has specific support for it.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Every thing is looking really good here. The only thing that I have to say is that his head seems to small for his body. I noticed it within a second of viewing it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    his triceps are still wrong.

good luck with the normalmap =]
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    To be honest, everytime i tried uv accros face, with every tips i read, i was never satisfied, there was always a noticeable seam (sometimes really small but visible).

The only workaround I found, is not to save uv space there, but somewhere else. As a matter of fact the face is the first thing human mind looks for, you dont want the viewer to get the wrong first impression :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I would really stick with the regular approach of UV mapping for the face. You can try a workaround for normal mapping some of his less prominent features. But for the face I think you are going to want the extra detail. Besides, UV mapping the whole face will give you the option of adding asymmetrical details later. This is especially beneficial for a boxer character. (as Balrog is) Some bandages or bruising added in the texture map later would look great, and such details are usually asymmetrical.