Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping tools

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
kite212 polycounter lvl 15
so im really interested in unwrella, i was wondering if anyone here uses it? or another tool like headus

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about getting one of these... but I decided that it would be better for me to just get used to unwrapping. That being said I have yet to see the positive side to my decision... I was just working on Unwrapping something for 2 hours and I'm still not done.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I dont know what unwrella is... haven't used it, but if it's anything like roadkill or unfold3d I reckon just using the regular unwrap tools from your 3d package... they tend to give the best results and give you the most control.

there are nice scripts that can help you within your 3d app like chuggnuts for max.

I used to use unfold3d as a crutch because I sucked at unwrapping. It sped up the unwrap process for me but my layouts totally sucked dick. Went back to regular unwrapping and am now much better at it.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, im not bad at unwrapping, it just comes down to the time, and its like my teacher said, i get unwrapping, so why not use something that will make me work faster, and if it doesn't work 100% i can fix it. anyways im leaning towards unwrella, only 47 bucks for student license

http://www.unwrella.com/ check it out, pretty sweet 1:1 unwrap, user seams, and packs it for you
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, that actually doesn't look too bad!

I'll admit that auto unwrappers can be pretty handy. They are good at getting you a good start, but almost always have to go back in and do some cleanup to uv's

If you pick up this tool please post and let us know how it is! :P
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hadn't heard of unwrella, though it looks impressive (specifically the uv packing part). The biggest problem I see with it is that its specific to 3dsmax, which makes it useless in the future if you end up at a job using maya or other major packages other then max.

I use headus for its relax/optimize tools but do all the initial unwrapping in max/maya. Its tools work well enough, but its slow and the ui is really bad.I've tried a few others, but nothing thats still being developed and all that good (though I do miss DeepUV).
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hate exporting objs in and out of programs... slows me down... feels like a chore. im lazy
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i hope max 2010 adds more to the unwrap options, i saw they are expanding the selection tools, but i also want to see things like being able to straighten a selected edge. and stuff like that, or max should integrate unwrella XD
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd really like to be able to select edgeloops in the uvw window... or give uvw a ring tool
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think the ring tool will be in 2010's new uv tools
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    I'd really like to be able to select edgeloops in the uvw window... or give uvw a ring tool
    Are you talking about the Ring and Loop buttons that are in Selection Parameters inside of UnwrapUVW? Or the edge loop button inside of the Unwrap Editor window right next to the paint selection tool? Select loop and ring, can also be added to the quad menu, and bound to keys.

I think its entirely pointless to use a 3rd party app, I haven't found one yet that lives up to the hassle. I suggest before you get hooked one some 3rd party software that does exactly what 3dsmax and maya do, you take the time to learn 3dsmax and or maya's unwrap tools. The chances are that whatever the 3rd party app has, was either rolled into the main software packages in one way or another or a free script was created.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i've been using unwrella for like a week now. I love it. i still have to do some manual tweaking with the relax tool, but overall its nice. most def worth a try. Its helping make the most dreadful part of the art process a tad less dreadful.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry worded it badly, this is from kens blog

UVW Unwrap Enhancements
    Manipulating UV maps in the Viewport is now as easy as modeling in the Viewport thanks to a significantly expanded 3ds Max Design UVW Unwrap toolset. New features include such UV Selection tools as Growing/Shrinking Rings and Loops, and quick editing tools for aligning, spacing, and stitching UVs.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOHOO!!!

good news kite

Vig: boy do i feel like a dildo... I just got back in to max and found the edge loop tool haha
    I always looked for it in the dropdown menus and could never find it - anyway lol thanks!!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the only thing max can't do is mirror uv's across a seam which headus uv layout can.

ie you want to mirror head uv's but you don't want to use symmetry.

there are long winded work arounds I suppose