Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Scott Army, Character Artist

Hi all,

Been around for a while but don't post very often. I've finally gotten around to getting a website up and running. I'd love feedback on the site and my work. I've tried to follow as much advice from the critiques here.....and I think I've followed most standards aside from having a blog (but at least it's out of the way if you want to simply avoid it). Anyway, here it is: www.scottarmy3d.com. Thanks.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, not bad work you have here. I like the menu options but I would combine resume with contact, and just call it resume. I don't particularly like the year by year break down. I think this can work okay, if your showing professional work, but when its personal work (because you have yet to get a job) it could be seen in a negative light. For example, while you have surely shown signs of improvement over the years, its not as drastic as I would expect over the course of 3 years.
    Lastly, just a nitpick on your latest Chuck Liddell sculpt (nice likeness btw) it seems you have the basic forms and micro details, but not much in-between. For example I would expect the forehead to have stronger more random folds and the eyes to show more wrinkles and creases. Also the hair, especially on the goatee, is pretty noisy looking and doesn't really read well as hair.
    BTW how have you gotten "much advice from the critiques here" with only 3 posts? Please don't take offense by this and it could just be me, but I tend to be less likely to crit someone's work when they obviously aren't critiquing others.
    Anyways, nice job with the site, and I think most of all; you just need to keep busting out more work. Get all your stuff nice and textured so it looks polished. Keep at it!
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMeyers82: Thanks for the crits. Yeah a couple friends suggested I group things less by year and more by polish. I'm considering it. I can definitely see your point, though. As far as critiques....I meant reading the various portfolio posts and checking out the common "trends" I found in them.....not necessarily from my own limited posts. Traditionally I've been a threedy guy, but there really isn't a decent place for portfolio critiques....whereas here, it's well established and very helpful.

I didn't mention this in the site (and frankly can't think of an eloquent way to tie this in) but all my new wips are going into the News page. So my blog is primarly a separate place to put my "in progress" stuff. I'll try and up the number of pieces I'm pumping out.....it's tough to find time with a wife, kid, and demanding job but it's got to be done. Thanks again.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    cool! I'd ditch the flying baby character or work on the materials some more since they're not so well defined. It brings down the rest of your work IMO.
    I agree with ordering your work by polish and not year. I think the orc is the best piece and should be up the top.
    Also, I'm not sure why you'd want to show the UVs for your high res naked dude
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aniceto: Thanks. Yeah I'm planning on finishing up that scifi guy I posted in my blog and then immediately fixing the textures of the angel. I wanna get a hand painted look but at the time all I knew was shaders and photo-manipulation. Those craptastic textures were the result. Especially the skin. Blah, hate it.

I guess for the naked guy, he was created over the course of a couple weekends as a generic male to start sculpts from. I think including the uv's showed it was well laid out and could be used pretty easily and cleanly as a base to start from without issues bringing the maps back in. But I suppose it doesn't read that way at all......you're right. Probably pointless to show that stuff. : (
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    the likeness on the chuck liddell is spot on....Id say his goatee is a lil too noisy, other than that looks great
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ EricV: Thanks man, glad you like him. I agree that mutton chops are a bit prickly but I did it as a semi quick (at least for me) study so I'm content with it. Heh, heh, heh.....but yeah, makes me happy people aren't like, "man that's a real shitty version of clive owen you got there!!!" : )

To everyone else....thanks so much for all the awesome crits. It's been a little painful pulling some of my models......get a little attached. But in the end it's best foot forward and you guys were right. I regrouped the models by polish as suggested and dropped the angel and generic character. I might bring the male back if I can get around to building a female blank and group them together. I think they'd read better as sculpting blanks as a set.

Anyway, the plan right now is to finish the scifi character and try and knock the hard surface stuff out of the park. Then I'd like to take my head blank and do another portrait sculpt to add. I think those two things would round out my stuff if done well.