Home Technical Talk

My New PC

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I just ordered this pc and realised I havent asked the trusty polycount, Im pretty sure these parts are good value for money and they need to be as I am on a tight budget. What do you think? good budget pc box?

Ive still got time to cancel my order if this is not great.

new_pc.jpg

Replies

• Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I have the same motherboard at work. I prefer it over the one I built at home. You can overclock it to 2.7Ghz safely with the stock fan.

It all looks good to me. What type of video card are you putting in? The 9800GTX or GTX 280 may want a more beefy power supply.

Put on an x64 OS and max out the board to 8GB ram. This helps greatly for importing high-poly mesh back into max from zbrush. Sometimes I wish I could handle 16GB ram. I've seen boards can now handle 32GB ram but that seems a bit overkill at the moment.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Well I have an 8800GT in my old PC but its being bottlenecked so I think I will just shift that across to the new PC as I dont have cash for anything more and it seems to compare well to the 9800GT anyway

thats a question I would like to ask

Vista or XP64?

I really want windows 7 but thats a bit far off :/
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty decent for the price, you should throw in the extra 4GB of RAM, really worth it. I'm happy with XP64 but i never tested vista so if you have a chance, test it and see for yourself.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I would choose vista x64 then. When Windows 7 is released there is an upgrade path from Vista. You would not get that option if you chose XP64.
  • zacko9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Q6600 is a great processor, I have a G0 chip and it overclocks like nobodies business. Everything else looks good to, should be a nice pc.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uuughh that price is making me want to kill myself. I shelled out over 2000 dollars for similar comp (q6700) with an 8800gts. it did come with a 24 inch monitor though. and it was almost 2 years ago.

so for me, this is like a killer deal.

if anything, your processor would be your bottleneck i think. well, at least for anything that DOESNT support multicore. most games for example, only use 1 core. and at 2.4 it seems kinda slow, but like everyone here said, you can definitely overlock it. i should look into that myself.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nice man similar to my rig ive got the 8800 gts and same processor and ram and running xp64 and it runs crysis pretty dreamily on high. I would say go xp64 as ive heard nothing but misery from people i know running shitsa
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use vista 64bit at work. its pretty stable.

only people who have been having problems with it were folks who switched from xp to vista64, and thats cause they werent used to vista.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing wrong with Vista if you do a few intermediate level tweaks. Most of people's issues with it is because it has changes from XP, and they've had XP so long they don't want to learn how to use new features.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Come on not that 'users are stupid to complain about vista' thing again. When something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Telling me it does ain't gonna fix it.

Ged, that's a fantastic price!! (even when converted in dollars hehe). Would that all fit inside a mini tower / shuttle? Sounds like an awesome deal. Almost like a dispensable PC to change every other year!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks for the comments and advice people. I think I might give vista a try, I used it at work for a while and it was alright except for a few bugs in the 3D viewport rendering in cinema4d, if they havent fixed bugs like that then Im definitely going XP64.

Yeah Pior its a good price from scan.co.uk , all fits in one mini tower...at least I hope it does, this antec nsk says it supports ATX as well as MicroATX so Im hoping its all good.

I havent upgraded my pc since 2005 so this is a good time, also I will get the PC in the first week of dominance war =D wooohoo
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just thought I would add this here, Ive been ranting in my DWIV thread because Ive been knocked out of action by vista

damn I knew Vista was bad but this is rediculous. How can microsoft release this pile of crap into the world. I seriously regret installing it on my new pc :( Ive done just about everything in my power to fix it but Im still randomly getting

"nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

it happens after about 20mins of play in far cry 2 and just generally randomly pops up to annoy me while using any app at all.

I am sooo pissed off right now Ive spent £650 on the parts, a week of building my pc and waiting for parts, then installing software for a weekend and now 2 late nights trying to get this to work with suggestions like this(http://www.nvlddmkm.com/) and Im still totally screwed!

this 8800GT ran fine in my other computer with winxp even played through crysis on medium but vista just keeps on managing to crash the card. WTF!!!!!!!!

crap its late and I have to go to bed...work in the morning :(
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ged Stay way from seagate 7200.11 you have update it firmware or it brick...
    You can update by yourself..
    I myself have update stable version SD1A
    Check here
    Use drivedetct to know your serial number Download Drive Detect
    Then check it with [URL="javascript:openWin3('https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/');"]serial number check utility.[/URL]
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    just thought I would add this here, Ive been ranting in my DWIV thread because Ive been knocked out of action by vista

damn I knew Vista was bad but this is rediculous. How can microsoft release this pile of crap into the world. I seriously regret installing it on my new pc :( Ive done just about everything in my power to fix it but Im still randomly getting

"nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

it happens after about 20mins of play in far cry 2 and just generally randomly pops up to annoy me while using any app at all.

I am sooo pissed off right now Ive spent £650 on the parts, a week of building my pc and waiting for parts, then installing software for a weekend and now 2 late nights trying to get this to work with suggestions like this(http://www.nvlddmkm.com/) and Im still totally screwed!

this 8800GT ran fine in my other computer with winxp even played through crysis on medium but vista just keeps on managing to crash the card. WTF!!!!!!!!

crap its late and I have to go to bed...work in the morning :(

Try using Latest driver for 8800GT..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XP64 is the way to go. I've got a very similar system, and it runs like a CHAMP, its stable as all hell too, i can run it for a month straight without any noticable slowdowns.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    gaganjain the first thing I tried was installing different driver versions, new ones and old ones but that didnt work, it is a little more stable but still gets some errors so thats not really progress.

Ive spent £100 on Vista64 oem what am I supposed to do with this software now? Im guessing I cant return it to the store can I? If I want xp64 it will cost me another £100. :( I dont want to spend any more money on this.

As far as I can tell it is Vista that is at fault so in an ideal world it would be microsoft paying for a new operating system for me and compensating me for the many hours of my life which are gone forever due to their shoddy workmanship.

Im gonna give vista64 one more try, I will format my pc and re-install everything from scratch if it still doesnt work then I will know for sure that I need to eradicate vista from my life.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give another Try...
    Maybe luck..[I am not paid my Microsoft] Till now vista runs good no problem till now..
    But do take care hard disk about firmware.or else it brick...
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    before you start working at all on that seagate hard drive, make sure it has the newest firmware on it, the 7200.11 model line was having problems where the firmware would lock all function on the drives after a certain number of boots.

If you're assembling the machine yourself, read the label of the drive and compare it to the serial numbers and firmware revisions listed on the seagate site.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=firmware_news&thread.id=1

it says small number of drives effected, but everyone I know that had a seagate drive produced from last may to january was effected... better to flash the drive empty if it needs it than find out after you have a ton of stuff on it.

and by the way, the drive detect utility won't work in vista as far as I know... my vista sees all sata drives as scsi drives and the utility for some reason ignores them. check the sticker.

Otherwise my 1TB drive has been great.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for that info about the hard drive. Could that possibly be where the "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered" error is coming from? that is the biggest issue here for me at the moment.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I checked the hard drive and it said my model number does fall under those affected but my serial cleared fine so I cant get the firmware update.

uninstalled all nvidia products and reinstalled them tonight but no luck.

tried far cry 2s benchmark tools and found that I can complete the benchmark on low settings but get the "nvlddkmd stopped responding" error if I turn up the settings even a little. Im gonna try underclocking my video card gpu and memory by about 100mhz with ntune and see if that helps keep things stable
    later that day...
    used nvidia monitor to see if gpu temps are getting hot but they are not idle is 44 degrees in game is up to 70 or so. So its definitely not the graphics card even though the error says it is. I guess its just display driver issues rather than hardware.

I got vista to run a little more stable by checking for and updating directx and windows updates as I found vista had not done all of it automatically. I also turned off all graphics/style/theme so it looks crap but seems to run a little better.

I might just get windows xp 64 but will that install on my system now that vista is on it? can I just pop in the disc and hit format and then install fresh?
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you still getting nvlddmkm service stoppe..
    I did some google and got this might help you.
    An update is available that improves the compatibility and reliability of Windows Vista
    Microsoft finally admits that this error is due to crapy Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194
    According to Microsoft, KB938194 will resolve the following problems:

"The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver.
    • The computer stops responding, and you receive a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message.
    • The computer stops responding or restarts unexpectedly when you play video games or perform desktop operations.

• The Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) stops responding when the computer is under heavy load or when very little memory is available. This problem prevents diagnostics from working.
    • The screen goes blank after an external display device that is connected to the computer is turned off.
    • There are stability issues with some graphics processing units (GPUs). These issues could cause GPUs to stop responding (hang).
    Visual appearance issues occur when you play graphics-intensive games.
    • You experience poor playback quality when you play HD DVD disks or Blu-ray disks on a large monitor.
    • Applications that load the Netcfgx.dll component exit unexpectedly.
    • Windows Calendar exits unexpectedly after you create a new appointment, create a new task, and then restart the computer.
    • Internet Connection Sharing stops responding after you upgrade a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista and then restart the computer.
    • The Printer Spooler service stops unexpectedly.
    • You receive a "Stop 0x0000009F" error when you put the computer to sleep while a Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection is active."

Uninstall old driver, then run a driver cleaning app like
    Driver Sweeper
    And install new driver
    Are using Vista or vista SP1?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    vista 64 sp1 and I did that except instead of using driver cleaner I just manually checked that all nvidia dlls were gone in safe mode before installing the new drivers. Might give driver sweeper a chance though hmm

anyway at the moment it seems like far cry 2 is far more prone to this error than anything else on my pc now, alot of the other stuff seems more stable, like UT3 is running at 120fps in benchmarks on high

I havent tried those links you gave yet gaganjain, I will try them when I get home later
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    tried that link to the windows update, it must be already installed or something cause when I run it it just says "this update does not apply to your system".

the software provider refuses to take it back or give me a refund, they say I should try putting my graphics card back in my old pc and seeing if it is really still in working condition. I might do that just to prove its fine.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I used driver sweeper for the first time and tried installing the latest drivers again and then even tried the latest beta drivers but there was no luck.

Far cry 2 still crashes out to "display driver stopped responding" after 10 mins in dx10 and just freezes up in dx9 with no error message. UT3 sometimes cant even run at all and gets the "display driver stopped responding" message

I think Ive done everything I can now. All I can do is put my 3d card back in my old pc and run it to show the card is fully working but that probably wont help me. Im so tired of this now.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged Which version of driver ur using ?
    What ever i read on forum,i think mainly it was problem with 8 series cards...
    Let see if i can find something out...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive tried version 181.20 and version 182.08. Im trying my 8800GT back in my old machine right now to see if its at fault.

So far Ive run GRID with no issues at all and now Im downloading 3dmark06 just to do a thorough test that its not the 8800GT at fault.

I do have an old 6800GT here maybe I will try that with vista and see if it likes it more for some reason?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I partitioned my harddrive and installed windows xp 64 it runs fine and the 8800GT seems to be performing well but now I cant find any wireless network drivers for my asus wl-138g v2

so
    vista64 = no working video card drivers(driver stopped responding errors)
    xp64 = no working network card drivers so no internet access

has anyone got a suggestion ?

this is a bit desperate but does anyone know of a pci wireless card I could buy that definitely works on xp64?

I would really like to use my new pc but Im running out of options here
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks polyhertz I saw that thread and tried some of those drivers but windows kept telling me those drivers arent for my hardware. Both my network card and onboard audio didnt seem to be supported by win xp 64.

Ive gone back to vista64 now as at least there I have network/internet and its just graphics card crashes which hopefully with some time and some tinkering may be fixed either by me or by the driver developers releasing some that actually work.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice purchase. Depending upon how much multitasking you do, or think you might do, you may want to get more ram eventually. I had 4GB, but found myself using up most all of it alot, so now I have 8GB at 1066mhz DDR2. Definitely is a nice thing to have, and was quite cheap to get.

As far as the crashing, it might be because of your PSU not being able to put out enough power, but Im not sure... ?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to read through all of the reply's... because I'm lazy.

But I did notice that your power supply seemed a little low wattage.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hmm its 500W and Im only running one 8800GT so I dont think the power supply should have any problems. plus it seems to run fine under xp 64bit
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Nah your PSU is fine. 500W definitely does the trick and that Silverpower thing is quite decent qualitywise.
    Btw just a note from me; even though I can´t tell you what the driver problem is, you shouldn´t take all your rage out on Vista. It´s most probably just an unlucky hard and software combination that could also be due to Nvidia. Just think about the many people that have no problems with Vista, like myself. Over the past year they even fixed the few annoyances I had with it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I know what you mean xoliul but it would be easier for me to not blame vista if vista at least gave an error report that could be traced back to the problem instead of a generic driver stopped responding message.

Im going to try disabling parts of my pc to see if there is something causing a conflict eg turn off dvd drive, then audio etc until I find things are working...I doubt they will though at this stage.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What onboard audio do you have?
    Worst case, buy a cheap audigy or something, or just do a little research into which cards have 64 bit drivers. Same with the network card. Do you absolutely need wireless anyway? I cant stand using wireless, but that may just me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    What onboard audio do you have?

realtek alc888 high definition audio - I think - Im at work so thats what I remember
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, try this? http://asia.cnet.com/downloads/pc/swinfo/0,39000587,50002418r-39536769s,00.htm

I think i have the same audio, but on an asus board, so i'm sure there are drivers for it somewhere.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which company 8800gt do you have and which driver are you using? I know evga says you can't use a PNY or BFG driver even though they're the same base. You can only safely use a EVGA released driver. I haven't tried the straight nvidia one yet on my 9800gt but I figure EVGA has turned my card speecifically, so I should stick to their driver for best performance.

I've also had issues with drivers, but more along the lines of finicky dvi/hdmi output than anything else.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I have a gainward 8800GT I bought it about a year ago been using it in my old xp machine for the past year just fine.

If you click on the "download drivers" on the gainward page it just takes you to the nvidia drivers site but there is this "expertool" thing I havent tried that yet.

http://www.gainward.net/main/support.php?lang=en

Thanks EQ, I will try that later. I still dont understand why windows would show all devices as being in working condition. if there is a conflict surely the little icon should come up on the device manager.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here Ged, I just bumped into this thread while lurking the evga forums:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100555299&mpage=1&key=&#100555299

I like to blame ram a lot, since ram does some pretty silly things when it's bad, anything from apparent driver errors to random freezing/lockups to full blown bluescreening.

If your system is overclocked, maybe you should run it at vanilla speeds, if it already is, try searching for solutions regarding ram timings and underclocking your ram. If slowing down your ram works, then you know your ram is bad, also run memtest86 a few passes to see if you can't find an issue outright.

It still could be a software conflict issue with something completely unrelated.

couple more threads:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100551184&mpage=1&key=&#100551184

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100549118&mpage=1&key=&#100549118
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    1. Get more than 4Gb and use a x64 OS. If you use DDR2 I suggest you a dual channel kit with Micron D9GKX chips.

2. Use Vista x64. WinXP64 is pretty unstable and bad optimized(and xp gonna reach EoL soon)... plus Vista x64 has DX10 and a nice VRAM virtualization mechanism. And yep, W7 will be much better.

However, I would wait one year... then get a cheap Core i5 Lynnfield, ddr3 , a dx11 card and W7.... that computer you want to buy gonna be obsolete fast.... so don't waste much money! If you need urgently a new computer you could get a Phenom II X3/690 motherb ( or a E5200 and a P45 ) and the cheapest DDR2 you can find.

just my 2 cents.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its funny when people say "wait a year for XXX to come out!!!" pc hardware is purpetualy in "wait a year" mode, anything you buy will be obsolete in a certain amount of time, and if you actually paid attention to the people telling you to wait a year, in a year when you were about to buy your pc, you would have someone else telling you "WAIT A YEAR FOR NEW XXXXX!!!!" "OLD XXX IS OBSOLETE ALREADY!".

Its just the cycle of things, its silly to think that you can somehow sneak up on it. As long as you're not buying top-end over priced hardware, and doing a good amount of research into what you're buying, you're likely getting a good value for your money.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    WOOHOOO!!!! I have a working Vista64 PC!

Thanks EarthQuake I saw your sound device driver and thought - let me just go to device manager and disable my "Realtek high definition audio" altogether to see if that makes a difference and it did, everything runs perfectly now!

so it was the audio drivers that were supplied on my motherboards(MSI neo 43 f) drivers disk that were causing the conflict! Tomorrow I will get my old audigy 2 soundcard and plug that into a pci slot Ive already got some vista64 drivers for it downloaded and hopefully that will be fine.

Thanks for trying to help Jogshy and Sir Knight I am on Vista64 now.

I still think microsoft's is partly to blame for all this confusion, surely I should have recieved an error telling me that my audio drivers were in conflict instead of a generic video driver error that means almost nothing.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to update your onboard Realtek high definition audio Realtek High Definition Audio Driver R2.20 And see... if crash then then.... old is gold
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    arrrgh! Im still screwed

I just started up my pc today - nothings changed since last night- and all the errors are back!!!! WTF!

installed the old soundcard but the errors havent gone away
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I disabled any unused motherboard hardware, realtek audio and lan and that seems to have given a little bit more stability. The crashes are still there but they happen in different circumstances

for example
    UT3 benchmark still freezes up in DX9 mode and can be unfrozen for a few more seconds before it freezes again by alt-ctrl-delete and then cancelling at that menu.

but UT3 in DX10 mode seems to run fine now which is good but still a mystery.

Farcry 2 benchmark on the other hand seems fairly stable under DX9 but crashes nearly every time I try it with DX10

also Im using old nvidia 178 drivers, might try all sorts of archived nvidia drivers and see if there is one that actually works.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    throw it in a pond
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    throw it in a pond

I am so tempted

Ive ordered windows xp pro for £22 but I will have to take out 4gb of ram :( at least I might have a chance of a working pc with windows xp.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    so I bought windows xp professional from play.com but they only had it available through playtrade

it arrived yesterday looks good, still in packaging and has booklet,windows cd and product sticker

So I formatted and installed and when I put in the product key it says:

"product key invalid" and this is before it installs the actual OS.

so...I don't know what to do, so Ive contacted the playtrade seller and got a refund. The pc Im currently using to type this is going to my parents tomorrow. So Ive had to install vista again on a cleanly formatted drive, hopefully this time it actually works as it should.

lessons learnt: Im never gonna build or set up a pc again - its not worth the pain, Im never going to use playtrade for something important and Im never going to trust windows vista or the nvidia drivers on it.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last contact Microsoft/Nvidia about issue
    Try nvidia forums

http://nvlddmkmdisplaydriverfix.com/
    The Nvidia nvlddmkm display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered has be troubling Nvidia and Windows Vista users for months now, and after many failed attempts at fixing the problem:
    • Change RAM configuration
    • Get a larger power supply
    • Turn of Windows Vista Aero theme

One think it seem to be old problem many people had fix there issue by updating there driver..
    I will say you contact Nvidia