Home Technical Talk

custon model: default animation but scaled bones ?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
so I just hope to double my chances

i´ve posted this question in the epic/gow forum already
I guess this is more or less a general ue3 thing and not so gow specific

->
i´m testing a bit around with replacing the marcus model with a custom one
and I´m wondering if there`s a way to scale the default bone system AND use the default animation WITH the scaled skelett

so lets say scale the upper-legs twice as long but still maintain the normal run/walk animation

all i was able to find out was, that the animations are usable but i loose all scaling information and the skelett scales back to the default values (of course also scaling the mesh itself)

i guess the scaling information comes out of the animations files

so is there a way to prevent this back scaling ?!

thx

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt it, if you think about how joints/bones work then if you scale one, you are affecting the entire animation.
    So if you scaled the upper leg bone, then the feet no longer get planted where they used to, so it wouldn't make any sense anyway even if you could scale stuff like this.

I guess it might be possible, but even if it is, you will get a lot of issues with the animations not lining up or generally looking very strange (unless it's a very small scale difference, in which case why use a custom bone length at all?).
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    oh it´s mathematically possible to calculate thresholds on every motion vektor to get to the same end-point, scaled or unscaled (of course it depends on the amount of scaling).. so for example plant the foot on the floor properly

but i know thats something very specific, but I don´t know the ue3 good enough to precude it from the beginning

so do I have to feal sad now? it does not work? ... no chance? .. not a little?

:poly134:
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    mathematical a bone is just a rotation around a point
    so it should work if you have the animations and scale the bones in them too

but if youre importing in unreal with a scaled rig it doesnt work, the t-pose is different, but it scales the bones to normal when its animated