Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Level

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
I'm working on an game with a programmer I know. Just getting together a test level for well, testing. This is what I got so far:

Test_Level2.jpg

C&C?

How should I go about texturing this. Vertex painting?

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Not much to crit yet. I'd work on the shape of your landmass a bit. Right now it looks like a melty icecream cake. Sharpen up some of the edges, and define the shape more. Add some height variation to the playspace, etc.

Is all the missing area going to be water or something?

you could vertex paint, or assign different blocks of polys to different textures, and then use a 1D tiling decal around the edges to blend them.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    it looks too high poly. I would reduce polygons a bit. It also lacks more pronounced relief.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Redid the mesh so its less blobby, also messing around with vertex paint. water is a placeholder.

Test_Level_new5.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope still blobby. What's this for? (FPS? RPG? RTS?)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    some background would be cool, like what kind of game- what the programmer hopes to accomplish etc etc- with that said the land mass looks like someone took a cookie cutter to a chunk of land mass and dropped it in the ocean. would be more intresting if you tried to make it look more like land was pushing its way out of the ocean, creating beaches, and some mound areas, as opposed to a small cliff wall around the whole thing. def keep some of that cliff in areas though.

also see of your engine will support vert alpha blending/ this would be really cool to apply to the verts on the water where the land intersects.

this would make it so there isnt a hard line transion where the water gets cut off by land.

tumerboy: whats a 1D tiling decal?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    OLD:
    Test_Level2.jpg

NEW:
    Test_Level_new.jpg

Ill give some background info soon, for now ill just work on what you guys have said
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good first step towards a better land mass, but it's not as much progress as you might think. Keep going, it'll shape up.

by 1D Tiling Decal, I mean a texture, that tiles in 1 direction (horizontally) matches one of the underlying textures (grass?), and is applied, tiling, on a strip along your two adjoining materials (say grass and dirt) to blend the two together better.

I can make up a demo later if I'm still not being clear.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    OH okay- I had never heard that terminology before. I thought that's what you meant but I`d figured i`d ask.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Explain where you're going with this dude, I'm kinda curious. My brain is trying to connect the dots and all i'm coming up with is... some guy is stranded on a desert isle and is too lazy to walk around the S curve to get from one point to the other... so he builds bridges. problem solved.

you can cut out a lot of the polys on the land. Bridges look solid.

Keep it up!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    symmetry makes me think it's a deathmatch level. But lack of any height variation or cover makes me think it would be boring.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Test_Level_new6.jpg

sorry for not make it more interesting quite yet. but this is just a quick test level, after this ill be remaking a similar, bigger level thats more interesting, your crits havent gone unnoticed :)
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    did u just put a ripple on the land. r u just trying to test the game engine or the level?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    did u just put a ripple on the land. r u just trying to test the game engine or the level?

Its just something small so we can get ingame to get everything together.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But what's the actual GAME?

It's hard to crit when we don't know what it's fuckin for!