Home General Discussion

CG software survey results

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
this is the results to a survey done on the cg industry to find out which software developers are really meeting their customers needs.
http://www.cgenie.com/cgenie-content/104-cg-community-survey-upgrades-09.html

Have you guys seen this surveys results? do you think it realisticly portrays the state of software in the 3D industry?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    autodesk rules the world

i´m sure this will make things ... bettöör
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol for me this information isnt about making things better right now, its a discussion not a solution. Solutions come from software developers not surveys...unless the developers actually listen.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Here I am, a Blender user trying to learn Maya. Woe me.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    u got me all wrong :)

-> my 2nd sentence was referring to the first one
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rollin wrote: »
    u got me all wrong :)

-> my 2nd sentence was referring to the first one

oh i see :P sorry hehe

zwebbie its still worth learning maya as it is industry standard it just doesnt have the customer support/attention that you might be getting with blender according to this info.

Personally I dont think this survey is too accurate cause blenders features or updates are what might be very old features in apps like maya - like for example a decent interface design and people cant tell me blender is the best at meeting customers needs when it still has an aweful interface
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, were you talking about Blender or Max there?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Sorry, were you talking about Blender or Max there?

HAHAHAHA! :D!

I think surveys like this are typically bogus. It is all just a bunch of opinions and not really solid proof of anything. Out of 2022 responses? Come on man, that is probably a fraction of a precentage of the people that use this kind of software. That is like taking a little over 16% of the opinions of members here on Polycount alone. By no means is that any number to base a survey on for a medium such as this.

Also, IMO, Blender shouldn't even be on the list. Updates? Support? It is Open Source software! It is FREE! And from my experience, their tutorials and interface are hands down awful. How that program got to the top of the list is beyond me. It is continually developing software, which is cool and a big plus over other software, but like Ged said, those features have been around in other packages for a long time.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I agree firebert and the survey creator might unintentionally have surveyed a particular group of people who happen to just prefer blender, I mean I never heard of this survey or saw anything about it on these forums or any others until now and its already over
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha.. go blender!, its getting there :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    someone posted this in that thread, if you really dislike blender, and I mean, have a personal grudge against it, consider these upcoming features in 2.50

http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/blender-25-project/

and then eye through this:

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/

to see how far it has come.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    good to see that max and maya are consistent...ly at the bottom :\
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    It didn't come as any surprise to me that Modo ranked so high on the list.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would prefer we didn't make this a pissing contest of Blender -vs- * , and I am sorry I have a personal grudge against it, but almost all of those updates, like stated earlier, have been in almost every other 3D app for a LONG time. Everyone that really uses it says those updates are great either because 1) they've used other apps and can see what is missing, or 2) they just don't know any better. Dope sheets? That's not an update I would scream to the world about. Given the history of Blender, I can understand why the progression it has taken over the past two - three years is so important given that it is Open Source and why it is such a big deal since its reinstitution. It has received a lot of publicity and has grown exponentially. I wouldn't use it regularly, but to those that do, more power to you.

Regardless, I never heard of this survey either, and for the most part, it looks like a publicity stunt if anything.

Modo and Houdini, they should be over Blender IMO. Maya and 3DS will never go anywhere since the destruction and annihilation of Discreet and Alias.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Haha. The results are no surprise really.

God bless you Max, you much used, much hated bastard.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    WTF @ the user comment in there that said the Blender updates are only about hardware? Every new release of Blender is full of features. The usability in the last year alone has come a long way, and animation had been redone. Who is still using old versions of Blender? But then again, most of those user comments for all software strange, and they always are on these things.

Autodesk is no different than the number 1 ranked person/company in anything I follow. They take shit for everything they do, good or bad.

I'm just happy Carrara and TrueSpace are never going to be on that list, or any real list.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds about right for max and maya really, considering their marketshares and that a company like autodesk doesn't exactly stimulate the development of a tight userbase (read: fanboys).
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Firebert wrote: »
    HI think surveys like this are typically bogus. It is all just a bunch of opinions and not really solid proof of anything. Out of 2022 responses? Come on man, that is probably a fraction of a precentage of the people that use this kind of software. That is like taking a little over 16% of the opinions of members here on Polycount alone. By no means is that any number to base a survey on for a medium such as this.

i guess you know something about statistics and sample size?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size

in fact you could tell a lot about the software usage and "how do you like..."-stuff, if you take randomly 2022 (aktive) forum user from polycount & Co.

that internet surveys are generally not very strong concerning the validity of the data is another story
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin wrote: »
    i guess you know something about statistics and sample size?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size

in fact you could tell a lot about the software usage and "how do you like..."-stuff, if you take randomly 2022 (aktive) forum user from polycount & Co.

that internet surveys are generally not very strong concerning the validity of the data is another story

OUCH man! That was a hardcore bitchslap! :poly114:
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Maya and Max are in a bad position because they have to be all things to all people, especially with their large userbases.

No matter what bug they choose to fix, some will feel left out in the cold.

No matter what feature they implement next year, some users will say 'that's just what I need', and other users will say 'this new stuff is useless, they will never add things I actually need'.

The software is used by so many people, in so many different areas, you can't really plan out the next year of work and please everyone with your efforts.

If they change a large, fundamental aspect of the program, a lot of people will have to be retrained, possibly at great expense. Might not sit well with someone whose got 30,000 licenses of the software and is working on a tight budget or time restraints.

Then you have all this newer software. They have smaller userbases of people with different mindsets. These guys can rock the boat frequently without upsetting too much, and their users will look forward to adapting to the new changes.

Anyone who ends up in Autodesk's position will end up with the same troubles.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    "Maya: I'm forced to use this software to make a living but I resent it every minute."

lol
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Surveys are kind of stupid, but in a smart way.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Ged wrote: »
    Personally I dont think this survey is too accurate cause blenders features or updates are what might be very old features in apps like maya - like for example a decent interface design and people cant tell me blender is the best at meeting customers needs when it still has an aweful interface

The survey was polling user opinion. Max or Maya users may think think that Blender's UI is terrible but Blender users almost universally love it, and thats all that was counted in the poll.

You can also see the numbers of users for each software that responded to the survey in the first question that was asked. 5% using Blender sounds about accurate to me...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    mostly from being the 5percenter, many blenderusers can be quite defensive about blender, especially the UI part.

I'm mostly neutral about it, I will accept any of the future changes that will come with 2.50, but I still have the most uber uwmapping tools out of the box without having to install plugins :)

lscm-unwrapping rocks my world.

ps, rightclick is always select.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    mostly from being the 5percenter, many blenderusers can be quite defensive about blender
    I think the problem is because people still describe Blender for what it was in 2003 when it was first released as OSS (being an internal tool up to that point), and not what it is presently. This program made a BAD first impression.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, that's not the problem. It's somewhat of a vicious circle, in that people treat that which is praised unfairly in a less positive way than they would normally have, and many blender-users are evangelical about their software of choice because they feel it gets a bad reputation, making people more negative than they'd normally be, making.. well, you know.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its just weird imo to people to get a heart attachement to the tools they use, its likei love a pencil and if anyone says that i should use graphite or charcoal to draw , or a brush , we go around sayng "but the pencil is free! it can actually do the same as you guys, with a tad more work and time, but it can".

Stop defending material things so viciously, just gives a weird impression.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the same problem crop up in programming communities. Just replace modeling software with a language of choice.

Constant wars over people who cling to languages or methodologies in those languages, all over nothing. People will refuse to learn or accept certain techniques because someone once said that it was bad, or it had a problem that was solved years ago. People badmouth certain languages because of unwarranted or outdated reputations, etc..,etc...

It turns into a holy war, and everyone is pretty much full of shit.

--
    its just weird imo to people to get a heart attachement to the tools they use, its likei love a pencil and if anyone says that i should use graphite or charcoal to draw , or a brush , we go around sayng "but the pencil is free! it can actually do the same as you guys, with a tad more work and time, but it can".

lmao. I actually sat through that exact fight when someone didn't want to use pastels instead of his pencil for an assignment.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    My workflow involves a bunch of different programs, including max, blender and mudbox, so I can use all the strong parts of each application, and usually not be involved in the anti-anyside.

but what you said about the first impression was true though, when looking back at the earlier versions of blender when I started using it, early 2000, it's night and day kind of difference.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    blender? what's blender? bender?

ohh, where's silo here? hexagon?

I use too many programs too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    blender? what's blender? bender?

ohh, where's silo here? hexagon?

I use too many programs too.

Blender. Is made by Kitchen-Aid.
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    I think, tho, if Blender and Max were reversed, and Blender was the industry standard and Max was the open source indie app, the exact same people would have the exact same opinions about the opposite app. All the current Blenderheads would be Max users and all the current Max users would be using Blender, hating it, but laughing at the people using Max and bitching about it's foreign interface.

I think the only thing this survey proves is that the number of users an app has is inversely proportionate to the percentage of them who obsess over it.

And for the record, I am a blenderhead.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Dunno, maybe its just my imagination (or my own perspective on things) but the rabid fanboyism for Blender seems to have been decreasing in volume over the past six months. I know that there has been a lot of effort among the Blender community to shout down the more evangelical members, but maybe its also a sense that the program is getting to the point that it can speak for itself and doesnt need to be defended quite so loudly.

Of course even if Im not imagining this, the damage has already been done and Blender's reputation for zelotry will be around for years to come.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    Of course even if Im not imagining this, the damage has already been done and Blender's reputation for zelotry will be around for years to come.
    Are most normal Blender users zealots, or just the usual OSS nuts? :poly142:

I don't see too much zealotry on the Blender Artist forums. Just a few outspoken freetards, and the rest are just having fun using Blender.

As for the part of the survey about how close you feel to the developers. It seems to add up. Ton > Autodesk it seems. Everyone hates Autodesk. They are the big evil. Ton is a cool guy.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P wrote: »
    I think, tho, if Blender and Max were reversed, and Blender was the industry standard and Max was the open source indie app, the exact same people would have the exact same opinions about the opposite app.
    I don't understand how you can even pose that scenario. 'If Obama were white would Colin Powell have endorsed him?' Like how the hell can you possibly ask that question? If Blender and Max were entirely different apps, would these people feel the same? How can that possibly have an answer that makes it even worth asking?
    I think the only thing this survey proves is that the number of users an app has is inversely proportionate to the percentage of them who obsess over it.
    This is not true- Autodesk has many more people who obsess over their software than Blender does. The main difference is, the Autodesk people are professionals and paid for their obsession- they are called 'marketing and sales.' And they weld much more professional power than all the blenderheads do, unfortunately. So yeah, it is easy to say, 'oh these Blender people are just rabid fanboys' (not what you are saying, others are though)... don't forget Autodesk- how many billions in revenue did they have last year, compared to these other apps- spends MILLIONS of dollars on marketing and sales every year. Autodesk spends more on marketing 3ds Max in a year than Blender has ever spent in development over its lifetime.
    Johny wrote:
    its just weird imo to people to get a heart attachement to the tools they use
    That is a completely unfair comparison. Just because people may defend tools irrationally or unfairly does not mean all defenses or comparisons of tools is unfair or irrational. Especially on the technical level, there are fundamental issues and differences between software that does not make one the same as the other in any realistic sense. I'm tired of being told this- yes they all have problems, but in no way, shape, or form, are they all equal. Max especially is fundamentally worse from a larger pipeline perspective than the other programs. And the consistently bad ratings of Max and Maya clearly demonstrate that this isn't an arbitrary distinction but is a real and tangible trend and difference.

I know it sounds really progressive and open-minded and thoughtful to say 'whatever dude they are just tools, all the same', but they are not all the same. The companies are screwing you over, and when you take this perspective you are just opening up your cornhole for their gapermaker.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It is a bit hard to not run to defend an application when the feeling is that everyone mutually believes it is a bad application, a frustration of sorts.

But nowdays, its being used more and more professionally, so there's not as much need for the holy defenders to defend it anymore, and more focus can be put on teaching the community, working on a better blender, and make art.

I mean, when polycount started there were no blender'ers here, but now there are quite a few around.

I guess instead of just wanting to hear that something sucks about the application, it would be even better to get the feedback the program needs, in constructive form, on the main forums..

others would love to hear what could open up blender more to more people, which is essentially what blender lives on, its users.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    You know.. I don't think I've ever seen the word "Blender" mentioned so many times in a (semi) serious way on this forum... ever. I consider that a good thing.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    and more focus can be put on teaching the community, working on a better blender, and make art.
    The last year or two of Blender dev has been focused on one group making a movie, and another group making a game, while the Blender devs fixed up the problems that those guys had during the process, and added the required features or usability.

And because of that, I no longer uninstall the late 2.4x builds in disgust. :thumbup:
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The recent realtime shaders added to blender are a bliss!, I still haven't had to chance to build a realtime scene in blender yet though, work is keeping me busy.

although I have something I'm working on, as a realtime scene, that I will release as a .blend later on, all for the sake of blender.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [MILES] wrote: »
    It didn't come as any surprise to me that Modo ranked so high on the list.

Yea no doubt. Though if I ever mention that its my primary software potential employers act like I have leprosy.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel wrote: »
    Yea no doubt. Though if I ever mention that its my primary software potential employers act like I have leprosy.
    Because it's new, or because there's some stigma, or they just have too much invested in their current tech?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    well, everyone of you know this, but becoming a good artist takes lots of time, learning a new application takes less time.

I can't remember if I mentioned I was a blenderuser, but I think it didn't matter that much, as long as I could learn the application of the company pipeline,..

even this day, having learned max, and sitting with dozens of tools, I still use blender for modelling.

Blender is no additional cost for the company :)
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    I don't understand how you can even pose that scenario. 'If Obama were white would Colin Powell have endorsed him?' Like how the hell can you possibly ask that question? If Blender and Max were entirely different apps, would these people feel the same? How can that possibly have an answer that makes it even worth asking?
    I meant if Blender had been developed before MAX had come around. If the apps were exactly the same as they are now, but if Blender were first and thus the industry stardard / popular. There seems to be a lot of people who will snub anything being developed because it's not exactly the same as what they already use. I think that's more an unfair comparison, since an app that just got it's first release yesterday is most likely going to be less feature-rich than something that's been developed for over a decade. A lot of the people who snub the newer app will do so just because it's not the standard.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Daaark wrote: »
    Because it's new, or because there's some stigma, or they just have too much invested in their current tech?

Some seem to assume something is wrong with you if you don't use what they use, like you couldn't figure it out so had to get some obscure program. Some also think that there is no way you could transition to a new program before they hire you, like their artists have X number of years using it and its just impossible to catch up. It may take months for you to find the extrude tool. DON'T GET ME STARTED I AM ABOUT TO HULK OUUUUUTTT!! hehe

EDIT: Though I should make it clear this is only some studios. I've seen some like Vigil who actually say in their job ads what modeling app you use doesn't matter.
  • Daaark
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    me -> max converted to cinema4d

happy
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daaark
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I found the "I feel the upgrades are good value for money" category very ironic. Is anyone surprised that Blender won that one? It's up against a bunch of commercial software packages. Of course its going to be the best upgrade value per dollar, you don't have to pay for it! This actually speaks to other categories as well. Blender can afford to have upgrades more often, because they don't have to be commercially packaged.

The inverse is also true. Max and Maya both scored pretty low in each category. But they are also some of the most expensive software packages on that list. It's a little obvious. Uber-expensive upgrades to uber-expensive packages don't seem as good a value as budget-priced and free software.

This actually speaks to something I've been thinking about for a while now. What is the point in having super-packages like 3DS Max and Maya? With the increased specialization within the indutry, it doesn't make as much sense to have do-absolutely-everything packages like that. At some point, they become so dense and feature-bloated that no one can use all of their features without years of training and practice. And if all you want is to make a single character model, do you really need all of the other stuff? A lot of the smaller apps are a lot less feature-rich, but are also a lot more focused. (and as a result, are even better at their chosen specialty)

If anything, this survey definitely has me more interested in Houdini. I know fairly little about this software, but its results in this survey were quite telling. The customer support was especially surprising. I'm a confirmed Blender-head, but the nature of Blender has always made the documentation a bit on the spotty side. (it's what comes from having a community-driven piece of software who's specs and features are constantly in flux) The Houdini team sounds like they are really doing right by their community in terms of support and documentation. There's a lot to be said for that.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender updates every few months with an assload of new features. The other guys seem to update once a year, and charge hundreds of dollars.

The problem is that moving data around between apps is not ideal. All the apps have different internal representations of things, and you can't convert them to basic types like obj which are limited and 2 decades out of date, and get the same thing in the other app.

Collada is better, but not a silver bullet. A lot of stuff has a standardized representation that can be converted back and forth, but you will always lose application specific stuff.

If everyone agreed on everything 100% and made an 100% file to interchange data, innovation would stagnate pretty badly, or you'd end up in the same situation as now, with files everyone can load, but that can't possibly transfer things that other programs have no concept of, or have a very different concept of.

When a program does everything, you get the same interface, documentation in one place, and all features are aware of all other features. Not every user needs to use every feature of a program.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Daaark wrote: »
    If everyone agreed on everything 100% and made an 100% file to interchange data, innovation would stagnate pretty badly, or you'd end up in the same situation as now, with files everyone can load, but that can't possibly transfer things that other programs have no concept of, or have a very different concept of.

This is why a lot of people are beginning to go for more of a pick-and-choose approach to acquiring software packages. It's also why the market for smaller, more focused packages is expanding. Silo 3D is a very specialized package. But if you're exporting a model from it, you don't generally have anything to worry about. Silo 3D is all about straight-up modeling, and doesn't support animation. So as long as you can export a static model format that another software package can read, you're good to go.

Model it in your modeling program, then kick it out and animate it in your animation package. More competitively priced focused packages are more economic when the tasks you are working on are equally focused in scope.

Getting 100% compatibility for a format isn't going to happen as long as the industry is divided over software packages. And if Autodesk is any example, removing competition from the industry is the last thing we want to happen.