Home Technical Talk

Hipoly road to low poly

I'm used to high poly modeling but I sure do have this weak spot when it comes to making high poly models with the intention of baking them onto a low poly cage.

So for example. if I have this type of model prepared. Taken from the last post that inspired my question.

exam.jpg

So with something as complex as this I circled these specific areas that I thought about.

Is this whole model completely connected vert to vert for all edges. This is one model? or A bunch of pieces stuck together?

What is the best way to prepare a low poly mesh for this? Retopology with deraster? Are there any programs out there that may help develop a cage for something this complex?

Thanks!

Replies

• aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    yes he would have used separate/floating/intersecting geometry(unless he's crazy, I don't know:D).
    whether it's "one" model or not is irrelevant.
    just look at earthquake's post history cause he rants about this issue all the time :<

as for making the low poly; this mesh isn't that complicated if you break it down. it's a few cylinders connected to some boxes, basically. the lowpoly would be easy peasy.
    optimising the subd base mesh is one way to start the lowpoly.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    model high. in pieces ur just trying to get the look right. then make low polys for all the parts u want. u can separate it out how ever u want as long as it looks how it should in the end.

then separate all the parts out like if u explode a car from its parts. bake each low poly part the its highpoly counterpart then reassemble.

hope that helps
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    that high res model is probably 100's of separate objects. The low res model should probably be a single element.