Home Technical Talk

Job/Life Advice: (UI Icon Art and rates)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
Someday I want to be an environment artist. Until then, a few buddies of mine who are in the industry are going to pass some icons and designs onto their boss and he might bring me on as a contractor. They need UI icons for the game they are making.

These are similar to the icons in WoW in that they have a painterly look. They are painted at 512x512 (then reduced to 64x64) and have an alpha channel. They have not given me any lists to work from, but I knew the subject matter and made 9 -test- icons to show to them. These took me anywhere from 1-3 hours a piece to paint.

Alright, so here is the deal. I have competition. I am not the best, but I know I am good. EVEN if they choose me they are going to ask for a rate, and I know they were turned off by other rates they have heard but I am not privy to those numbers.

Going freelance, this could be the break I need to say I have worked in the industry, as a contractor; the problem is I also have to eat.

They are not going to pay me by the hour, but I am certain that (considering some of my buddies make nearly twice this) $15 an hour is not too high. So what If I charge them $35 an icon? I have found some firms out there charging $38-$60 for icon between 16-50px. WOW. I am not that confident.

So, in short, even if they choose me, I could blow it by setting the wrong amount. Please help me understand what is good, what is fair, and what is normal. I am not looking to rip anyone off, I am actually very excited to work with my friends again.

Thank you again (sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum),

-Incomitatum

Replies

• Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have received PMs telling me to post on ConceptArt.org about this as well; thank you for that advice. Still, no one has produced an answer.

Have none of you done work like this or similar work in the past? While I understand that Polycount normally involves 'polys'; you guys are the most experienced and knowledgeable lot there is.

Any general advice on contracts and/or contract work that a game-industry-noob should know?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    There have been quite a few threads like this. Generally the common answer is "ask the amount you feel is fair"

It's really up to you to decide if this job is worth lowering your standard of living for a bit while you get that bullet-point for your resume.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Keep in mind that if you sell yourself too short, all the extra work they give you is going to be expecting that kind of rate.

Industry average for a new artist works out to somewhere around $20 an hour or so. If these take you 1-3 hours a piece, then $40 an icon sounds like an average price for someone new...until you start needing to worry about # of revisions, etc. Season that number with your skill, speed, and desperation.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the reply.

And thank you Ghostscape; that is sound advice.

We will always have the memory of me eating the golf-ball-sized-chunk of Wasabi at GDC'07; ^_^.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    That video is still on my cell phone but its too big to MMS and I'll be fucked if I'm buying a data cable to get it off of there.

But yeah I can vouch that Incom is definitely your go-to guy for wasabi disposal.