Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RTS Zombie - 400 Polygons

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get a critique on what I've got for a low poly zombie. He's at 400-odd polys and 700-some tris. The texture resolution is 256 x 256, since we plan on having a load of zombies on screen. What do you guys think?

zombie.jpg

braaaiins.jpg

Replies

• 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model looks cool. (although i know nothing about modeling for rigging purposes). could you please post screencaps instead of renders against black backgrounds? it will show the model better. I, and im sure most people, get annoyed at renders against black backgrounds.

but anyway, yea model looks pretty good. the texture needs a bit more work. way too noisy. i know its a zombie game and you need blood, but i think it can be done witha lot less visual noise.
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll get those screen caps tomorrow morning (it's 0013 now). I apologize for the renders on black, I didn't know the etiquette on posting shots. My bad. I'll work on nixing some of the noise too, though I want to leave some so it fits with his environment - we want to have a very gritty game. Something like Condemned (though I realize I should pick up some reference of the game before getting seriously set in style). Thanks for the help so far.

Ben
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    What kind of rigging is that?
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    DEElekgolo wrote: »

It's a Maya based rig
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    DEElekgolo wrote: »

I believe its called redundant-first-timer-rig
    there, is no cure for it
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    flow3d wrote: »
    I believe its called redundant-first-timer-rig
    there, is no cure for it

Maybe you could elaborate on this instead of just calling him out on it? Would probably be more helpful.

Overall I think you've got a good start, I'd like to see a screengrab of the model at the size you're expecting it to be onscreen. I agree about the model being a bit too noisy, especially if it's going to be fairly small on screen. Try to make shapes in the texture a little more obvious so that they read better from far away. I hope that makes sense. :)
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. I think you have a nice form and texture going on. It's very dark. A render on a grey background and a texture flat would be nice. What kind of platform is this for?
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch, it's not a first timer rig. I've done some rigging/animation before (self taught amateur level, but that's why I'm in school). The only thing done in Maya was the rendering and checking texture placement. Everything else was done in XSI - modeling, UVing, rigging, etc. Not to get defensive, but don't shoot me down without even knowing anything about it. The critique was on the model and texture, not the rig (though I do appreciate the interest).

Anyway, I got some new screenshots for you. As per request - I got them from the workview, and not rendered on black. The first image is approximate space used on-screen, though the actual resolution would probably be higher. I just cropped off the toolbars from the screenshot. The second image is a much nicer turnaround for the zombie. And the last is the flat texture for those interested.

ZombieOnScreen.jpg

ZombieTurnAround.jpg

zombieFlat.jpg

About the rig, it's basically the XSI default basic rig, though I'm more proud of it because I reverse engineered the XSI rig and made my own (except for the damn legs - it had expressions I couldn't figure out how to mimic). So yes, it's default, but I think it's fairly powerful and will do everything I need it to do. I haven't had a rigging class yet, so everything I've done is self taught.

Oh, forgot to add. This is for a PC final game project my friend is working on for school.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better. watch out for those seams though. on the back of the arms.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the arms need some more musculature definition. Also the wrinkles in the cloth seem kind of weird. Like there is a discoloration around them? It looks like maybe something happened when you smudged on a blend layer perhaps. You could pack the UVs more efficiently. Some of these things could be mirrored.

The macro effect is pretty good. But it looks like you kind of layered photo sourced textures on top of each other without painting in some important details.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think RTS units, especially such low-poly ones, warrant a 512 texture.
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    Only ladies pants are allowed to not have pockets.

Also I think the flesh tone is a little too...alive?
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    i agree with LEViATHAN about making the texture a bigger size

i also agree with Bobbeh about the flesh
    if your going for a "freshly killed" zombie. then its good
    but if your going for a more "Seasoned" zombie i would suggest giving it a grey tint to the skin. maybe with a small bit of greyish green. and if u go with the seasoned zombie then maybe adding more tears into the shirt and pants would add more of a "zombie feel"
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    i miss worded my last one
    "i agree with LEViATHAN about making the texture a bigger size"
    i meant i agreed making it 512x512 would be too big for such a low poly character

but i also saw on the first post it was 256x256
    what size is it?
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture for the character is 256x256.

I'll work on the skin tone texture some more as well. I'm thinking the plan is to go with a more average length zombie, kind of like in Dawn of the Dead remake - the zombie has been around for a couple days, but not long enough to be Frankenstein green (a look I was trying to avoid, a little too hard perhaps). Thanks for the pointer for that.

What kind of tears should I put in his shirt without it looking like he was clawed by some demon? I had a couple gashes, but they competed with the bullet wounds and blood on the front as apparent cause of death.

I agree he needs pockets - I cant believe I forgot those. I was working on them when I was doing the legs, and after I got the blood I moved on absent-mindedly. I'll get them taken care of.

There are no folds in the cloth of the t-shirt (the black spots are supposed to be just discolored areas), and the pants folds (back of the legs and crotch) are reference photos I took then tried to match to the base texture. It still looks a little wonky, like you guys are saying. What is a good way of blending textures together so they match? I'm using layer masks, trying to paint in blending, adjusting hue/sat/value, etc. Is there an easier way or do I just need more practice?

For muscle definition in the arms, are you talking about in the model or texture or both? I agree, the texture doesn't add anything to the muscularity of the character. I'll see if I can make him look a little bit beefier. Maybe the zombification sucks the fat out of its victims and their muscles stick out more.

As for UV layout, I worked on that for awhile trying to get the pieces to fit. If I scaled up the head, maybe the pieces could be rearranged to better fit. I tired to keep the approxiamate same scale for all the body parts so one part didnt look too high-res over another. I know most if not all character fall into this, but I thought since this character is in an RTS with an overhead camera, and the zombie is hunched over, the player won't see his face most of the time. They would see his chest and legs/arms more than anything else.

Whew, I think I addressed everything. I don't have an update as of now - I'm in class, waiting for a presentation to start. I'll get to work tomorrow afternoon and post new screenshots then. Thanks for the great help so far guys.

Ben
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shoot. My bad. the texture right now is 512x512. LEViATHAN was right. I don't know how I messed that up. Wow... I feel retarded. Think I'm going to go crawl in a hole now.
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    random tears in the shirt and pants add to the zombie look
    a zombie wouldnt think about if his shirt or pants get caught and torn on something.
    injuries occured when he was killed. or after

zombies.jpg

see the zombies in the background have lots of rips in their clothing
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the picture reference. I've seen that pic while looking for reference, but I didn't think to note the clothing of the zombies in the background. I used it for facial reference. You're right in that random tears add a lot to the zombie look. Also, a lot of the undead look is in the posture of the zombie. Maybe I should exaggerate his posture even further to get a more 'dead' look. Raise one shoulder way up, slouch the other, make the head fall back on the neck more, offset the hips, and lead the body with the shoulders as if it were about to fall over. Looking at the other zombies, it looks like all their hair is thinning and falling out. Since I modeled the hair fairly thick, how can I get that same look? Maybe move the polys closer to the head then make the hair appear transparent by having scalp show on the texture?

Thanks
    Ben
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    I can see the influence from the picture to the face

the posture idea is good. the thing with the posture to think about is that they walk slow and are slouched over and stiff because of rigamortis is kicking in and theyre joints are locking up, theyre whole body is stiff

if u want to get an idea of how they stand and walk. i suggest watching older zombie movies. not so much newer ones where they run.
    any George A Romero zombie movie is perfect
    night of the living dead
    day of the dead
    dawn of the dead
    land of the dead
    diary of the dead

Land and diary are good because there modern and they stick to the slow moving stiff zombies

even the cheesy Return of the living dead movies might be good or even the the night of the living dead remake directed by Tom Savini (mondernish)

I know too much about zombies. so anything you need help with ask away lol
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went on a zombie binge a few days back. I watched Evil Dead (I thought it was a zombie movie - big mistake), original Night of the Living Dead, the remade Dawn of the Dead, finishing off with the first Resident Evil. I wish instant Netflix had more zombie movies. I'm working on fixing the texture before starting the animations right now, so I have some time to get some zombie movies in from Netflix before I start animating.

I hadn't thought about the rigamortis kicking in and that's why they're stiff. I just always assumed "that's how zombies walk" and never thought why. Hmm, that will definitely help in making good animations. I've been trying to walk like a zombie to see what it feels like, and the most believable one I've come up with makes them appear like they're about to fall over constantly.

I got a few things left to finish up on the texture, and I'll post it back up.

Ben
  • Tad Ghostal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tad Ghostal polycounter lvl 8
    And don't forget about Lucio Fulci's Zombie. Greatest zombie movie ever.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archvilell wrote: »
    I hadn't thought about the rigamortis kicking in and that's why they're stiff.

Rigor mortis. It's a temporary state, typically lasting one to four days. If you're planning to have fast zombies, make them look "old"; slower zombies can look more fresh if you want to get technical. :shifty:

Also you should check out Braindead. Best zombie movie ever.
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    Brain Dead is such a good movie
    love the lawnmower part

and i beg you. Please dont have fast moving zombies
    as Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) says about fast moving zombies

"Death isnt an energy drink"
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah hah hah I didnt plan on having fast zombies. Not too big a fan of them - I imagine a walking corpse as a slow shambling thing to dread, not a psychotically fast, amped cannibal thing leaping at you from across parking lots. Played Left 4 Dead for about 7 hours today - pretty cool, but again, probably straying away from fast zombies.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    best zombie performance I've seen is in Day of the Dead, when the pet zombie steals a gun. classic!

still trying to find all those 700 triangles in your model. I would have put more work into the hands tbh.
  • Tad Ghostal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know man, Day of the Dead was a cool movie, but it was lacking in zombie vs. shark fight scenes.
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm back. Got another turnaround for you all. I've decided its time to move on to getting a generic normal map on him to smooth out the roughness - nothing special since he's going to be 256x256 texture mapped. Anyway, I figured out where the calculation error in the texture size was, but I decided I'm going to keep a 512 version for the portfolio, then for in-game work, I'll hand the programmer a 256 version.

I fixed the skin color, added pockets, fixed the wrinkles behind the knees, added a bald spot on his head, fixed some blood splatter, fixed seams, and added a touch of ambient occlusion around the area the t shirt meets the arm and where the hair meets the face. I decided not to add rips and tears to his shirt and pants; I couldn't figure out a nice looking way to make tears in clothing without it looking like the skin underneath was just stuck on. If someone knows of a photoshop tutorial on something like that or has suggestions, I've got open ears.

And, without further ado...

ZombieTurnAround-1.jpg

zombieFlat-1.jpg
  • Tad Ghostal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately looking a lot deader. Good work.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    looking better. :thumbup:
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks same to me tbh. how about a few variant textures to see how well the base model holds up? Not all zombies have long hair*

* this is probably not true actually
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The presentation in the turnaround really isn't helping. The layout is fine, but it's that light grey background. Drop it to a dark one, keeping neutral—closer to, for example, 1e1e1e (the very background of the forums)—and your texture will be much more easy to read. Or maybe it's just me, CRT and all? I do know LCDs are very bright.

Unless your zombie game is going to be in bright grey environments, in which case I would suggest you lighten your textures a lot, try not to wash out the detail with a too-light background.

archvilellzombieturnaro.jpg

Other than that I'd say it's looking good. Could use some hand-painted highlight lovin', but that's actually more a preference of style than a crit for this particular texture. I do like all the blood.
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip on the background - you're absolutely right, it looks way better and easier to read. I was using Maya workspace to get the turnarounds, so next time I'll change the background color to a darker, neutral gray.

As for the zombie model and multple textures, we planned on doing that, but we weren't necessarily using this mesh as a 'base' mesh. We would have a few different ones to switch between. Though using the same mesh with different textures is an idea we're thinking about as of late. Would multply how many zombies we could get without the repitetion being blatant.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm working on a getting a generic normal map just for some smoothing, then it's on to animation. I plan to get this done before Thursday of next week, so updates soon.

Ben
  • Archvilell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm back. I got an animation rendered out and posted on youTube. It's not the greatest quality - I messed around with SoftImage's render settings for at least an hour and I still can't get it to look pretty.

The animation is supposed to be a mindless wander - no living in sight to eat, so it just kinda shambles around. Right now the biggest concern I'm working with is how to export it. I'm working with the .x exporter, but it isn't exporting right. I think it has to do with my rig being too attached to the skeleton and not easily pulled off like the default biped rig from guide is.

Anyway, here is the youTube video. The culmination of the animated zombie. Again, I apologize for the poor quality render. I'd like to get a new render, but I leave for some training for the Army in 2 days - gone for 2 months. So it's as done as it's going to be for awhile.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=193pnG48cdI[/ame]

Ben

PS> Forgot to mention, this is just one cycle, so without a loop feature it's hard to visualize. I'm going to see if I can loop it via MovieMaker or iMovie or something and repost it. For now, though, this is what I got.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs more movement in the hips.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Leviathan, but I quite like it already! Nice one.