Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio design

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The V6 is a clear improvement, however I would suggest leaving the thumbnails in colour, so they are easier to read fast.

As for the logo, the reason why people use a simple typeface is because it works, twirly text is just not readable, especially not your subtitle.

As for your logo picture itself, again, I would strongly recommend a more stylish redesign, utilizing the points I made earlier about contrast. Either that or losing it, because as it is, its just two, fullbright splotches. It doesn't read well.

Oh and please lose the reflection.

So yeah, I recommend using the BenjaminBell typeface as your logo, perhaps with an elegant twirl of logoness on the side for awesomeness, sans-reflection though.

EDIT:

Yeah I agree that instead of having a link for more thumbs, you should just have more front-page content.

And yeah, having dummy links live on your homepage is hugely unprofessional.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    bbob wrote: »
    As for the logo, the reason why people use a simple typeface is because it works, twirly text is just not readable, especially not your subtitle.

As for your logo picture itself, again, I would strongly recommend a more stylish redesign, utilizing the points I made earlier about contrast. Either that or losing it, because as it is, its just two, fullbright splotches. It doesn't read well.

Oh and please lose the reflection.

Done! You know, that was a hard bullet to bite, having used that logo for a while I thought it was cool but you were right, it was sub par. This time I went for something a little more familiar to everyone.

Here's a model sheet including the new logo that I have sent to one potential employer and will include in the website as a pdf;

Condensedportfolio-StevenBell-Weste.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Eh, the new logo looks like its for a hotel chain or a cereal company.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hah, hadn't thought of it like that, it supposed to symbolise hope, rays of light etc. at least that's what I was thinking when I made it. Yeh I know, cheesy but I couldn't think of any symbol that would give meaning to gcmax except for an led meter readout (max) which ended up looking crap :p
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think just going with text would be fine, you want people to know your name, not your logo.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i liked the old logo but maybe it would be better to just use your name.

the site layout is fine i like it.

I am actually using cargo collective for my site its pretty dope might want to check that out.

http://cargocollective.com/#/featured

its a simple CMS

I think its better then making alot of html pages..

my thoughts. *focus more on work focus less on websites*
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have to apply for an account but it's worth it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    makecg wrote: »

I think its better then making alot of html pages..

my thoughts. *focus more on work focus less on websites*

Couldn't agree more on the work focusing part but since enough work is complete to make a decent sized portfolio I'm focusing purely on presentation here. A free website would be nice too but my site is already bought and paid with hosting for the next year and a half at least, it's definately something to look into though :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Included colour thumbnails this time, the last image posted had the pre rollover effect thumbs showing, however, maybe they aren't necessary? It's not the final version as some of the thumbs will be changed and others rearranged.

Websitetemplatehomepage.jpg

ps: I'm thinking about allowing downloads of 3d objects in a max file. Would employers even look at this and is it just a risk not worth taking?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Employers would most likely not go through the hassle of downloading a file just to look at a mesh that they can already see pictures of..

The logo is an improvement, however, I would suggest making the GC bold, so the seperation between the words become clear without a space. I think it will also help it read better..
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks again for your help and suggestions bbob, I just tried GC bold after changing the font from Myriad pro to Trajan Pro, Myriad's bold is too thick and looks wierd. It looks really nice but doesn't fit in with the rest of the text fonting, which is also Myriad pro. If I could find the right font which is thin enough for a subtle bold... but even then this means redoing all my pdf's which I have just done (added all the doc properties, description, copyright, view settings etc) - nightmare! :(

Still, I'll have a hunt through some fonts and see if there is anything that would suit.

Cheers
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    why dont you just use your real name? that way when people start recognizing your art theyll know "oh yeah its Rody Pipers badass environment" and not some short 4 letters with no real person connection?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 on that one too..