Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Blowhole

tanka
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
tanka polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, I've started work on an environmental piece based off some Warhammer Online concept art. I thought I'd post my progress here for some C&Cs along the way, and hopefully a bit more motivation to help me finish the project. (I have a habit of quitting projects)

Anyways, Here's the piece of concept art I am attempting to recreate:
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/conceptart/CT1207_46.jpg

I've blocked out the proportions of the main elements of the scene:

blockoutk.jpg

And I've started to add high poly details to those main elements, I've done most of the pillar to the left of the scene:

pillarhprender.jpg

Sorry about the crappy hosting, I'm looking at getting some webspace in the next few months.

Anyways, what do you guys think so far? :)

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    damn, you modelled every brick? impressive ^^
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    lol, it honest to god took me all day. There's a few duplicates, but alot of them are unique. It probably isn't a good workflow.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    how you gonna have enough texture space for all that unique detail, multiple 2ks?
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I'll probably treat that pillar there as it's own asset, so i'll give it it's own unique texture space. It will probably be 2048, but if I can scale it down without ruining the details I will.

This isn't going in game or anything, It's an asset for my portfolio, So my goal is to strike a balance between aesthetic and functionality in game. Unless ofcourse you have different thoughts?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it looks pretty unique and not the sort of thing that is very re-usable. personally i think it could be done with tiling textures and maybe a few unique mapped corner and edge peices to give it the same look
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking too much like Greeble blocks to be honest. Not really like the stone shown in the artwork if you meant to recreate the same.

Nice project.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    @Shepeiro, I get what you're saying. The stones on that pillar were incredibly tedious, and it is something very reusable. I think what I'll be using tiles on other parts of the model, I'm going to try and make my own tilable textures using maya, AO baking and photoshop. Do people do that? I think it'd be a great way to paint your own textures.

@ParaXum, I hear you. Essentially the stones are greeble and at the moment it really shows. I was going to run the blocks through mudbox after I was done, but I don't think it would be worth it (that, and my computer would explode). Once I create the low rez mesh and begin texturing, I'm sure it will look more like the source. If not, well I might have to alter a few things. :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    any progress?
    btw, did something to nagg you a bit :D

praes.jpg
    w800.png
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Only progress ive made is UV mapping and AO baking, so nothing worth showing. The normal map is giving me a bit of grief, but once I sort that out, I'll get back to modelling the rest.

Also, that pic has made me realize my proportions on the boat are a bit out of whack, I'll have to fix that before I progress further. Did you whip that model up just then? Or did you plan to build a scene based off the concept before? The reason I ask is because when I first saw that concept, I found it hard to believe that nobody here has attempted it yet.

/edit: UnrealEd is giving me the shits.. Mostly because I barely know what I'm doing in it.. My normal map looks funky, and it keeps culling backfaces that I want visible (and I've fixed the normals). I think I'll stick to maya for the time being.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Here is the LP mesh with a basic normal and colour maps. After toying around I finally got the normal map to actually work (somewhat).

pillarlprender.jpg

I don't really like it.. I think I'll continue on with the rest of the model, and reassess this object once I'm further through.

Thoughts? The texturing stages is where I feel weakest.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i think the problem here is, that brick is usually wider than high :D
    imade the model yesterday, because ... fun
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the bricks are far too regular in shape, i think this would have been worn quite a bit.
    IMO=

1- get rid of the horizontal lines in the greeble work, and try and get more horizontal.
    2- pull a few in and out. select random bricks and put slight rotations on them, do this lots of times till the whole thing starts to look riregular
    3- rebuild some new bricks around the key areas, that are larger, esp around the top, bottom, edges and stepped bits. do this by hand it'll be worth it.
    4- unwrap uvs on high and do an automatic layout, applying a plain rock texture with a nice colour variation across it, the automatic layout will give you nice colour variation.
    5- take model into Zbrush or whatever, and gentally apply the smooth in areas, this will split and round the bricks adding areas or greater wear and erosion, again top, bottom edges.
    6- bake, normal, AO, base texture, and object norms.
    7- use the AO and base texture as your base. duh. then use the AO as a mask (inverting and altering levels) to add dirt and greenery. then use the upwards axis channel from the obj norms to add some colour fading from sunlight, and maybe extra dirt and drips for everything facing downwards.
    8- create an edge overlay to bring out convex edges- edge find on tangent normals, desat, alter levels so that map is from 128-255, apply AO as mask and play with levels to get rid of inwardly pointing edges, change to overlay.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Note taken.

Although I'm starting to rethink my texturing direction.. I was going to use photo reference and go for a more realistic approach to the model. The concept has a very comical style though, and I'm starting to think I should hand paint the textures and give them a more cartoony feel. I've been doing a few tests and I think it could be the way to go.

If I do that, then when I redo this pillar, there will probably be alot less detail in the bricks, which I think will be a good thing.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    scenewiprender2.jpg

Here's an update.. I'm currently working on a new style of bricks for the pillar. I think the new direction I'm heading in is going to make it a much better peice.

Thoughts?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's way better this way on the stone wall. I have a good feeling about the rest. ;)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I agree much better this way.

Keep it up!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Reminds me of a Warhammer concept i had to recreate for an art test once to get on a mod team. =) minus the boat of course.....
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    pillarlprender2.jpg

UPDATE: I haven't given up on it yet. :P

I've been fiddling around with texturing alot! As I already mentioned it is my weakest point, and I tried alot of different things to try and create a certain style about the peice; here is what I've come up with.

I think now I can continue the rest of the model with a clearer direction.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Here's an actual worthy update.. The high rez mesh so far.. I only have the cabins to go, and a few little props around the scene.

scenewiprender5.jpg

Thoughts?
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin great! Keep going! :thumbup:
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    The high poly mesh is done! I might add a bit more detail to the wood in mudbox or possibly model the roof tiles, but apart from that I'm calling the high rez done.

Time to get onto the hard part.. The textures..

highrez.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    f#@$ me this is really getting there. I'd maybe push the silhouette a bit more in the model. But the ideas and execution of everything is pretty sick. Let's see this textured!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    This is gonna be sweet when it's done.

These washed out no contrast renders are really doing a disservice to your work. You should up the contrast, add some shadows or ao. Anything!!! Seriously. It's an atrocious way to display your stuff. :)
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great so far. Excellent idea and you have come really far with this project. Are you going for a hand painted texture style or more photo realistic?

AK
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the comments guys..

@dur23, Yeah, the renders are pretty shit. I'm working on making them look nicer, and doing a high rez beauty shot. I found this tutorial here: http://www.artemstudios.com/08Portfolio/Tutorial/MaterialRenderingTut.htm but it's for max. I wish I knew how to get a similar effect in maya.

@Jeffro, I agree that the silhouette isn't working in my favour at the moment. The strong silhouette in the concept is what makes it stand out at me. I think once I fix the render settings it will hopefully pop out alot more, and if not I might need to play around with the depth of field.

@ A.Kincade, I'm going for kind of a mix.. I'm using photoref for the textures but trying to fade out the finer details and oversaturate the colours to give it the comical feel of the concept.. Whether it works in my model's favour or not will soon be revealed. :P
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Here we are, forget about that old washed out render.. I did a bit of reading about three point lighting etc:- and made a new high rez beauty shot:

highrez.jpg

Now to the texturing! :D
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking really awesome, great job.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, been following the progress of the thread and I'm really digging the scene so far, I'm sucker for this kind of thing tho. I'm not an env guy, and there aren't any glaring issues, so I dont know how much of a crit I can offer. I can ya give a quick run down on how to build a simple AO shader for maya if ya need. It wont win any awards, but its fast and it looks good.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Hey that would be good, it would probably make my render look alot better.. However, would it require me to UV map the high rez model? If so I might give it a pass. It would take way too long, especially considering it's only the high rez model.
  • Deathelmz
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    nah, no UVs required.

I don't know how much you know about maya shaders, so if i leave something out that you don't get, include overly simple things, just yell at me.

1. open the hypershade, create a new blinn or phong

2. select the material, open the attribute editor(ctrl-a)

3. notice the little checkerboard next to right of the 'color' and 'ambient color' attributes

4. click on the checkerboard next to 'color', and the 'create render node' window will pop up. click the 'mental ray' tab, and scroll down to the 'textures' rollout. You should see a node named 'mib_amb_occulusion'. click it!

5. the attribute editor should switch to the newly created node and you'll see a handful of attributes in the 'parameters' rollout.

set 'samples' to at least 64, 128 is good if you have a decent processor.

the 'bright' attribute is basically going to be the color of your obect
    the 'dark' attribute is the color of the areas where geometry is close or touching(i.e. crevices)

set 'spread' to 1

'max distance' is, well, the max distance that is going to be measured from a surface to detect another surface. depending on the scale of your scene, you probably want to keep this pretty low, if you notice big fuzzy dark areas on things, you probably want to lower this.

SHAZAM! now you have a material with an ambient occlusion node plugged into the 'color' channel. now you want to repeat the process for the 'ambient color' channel, only in that ao node, set your dark to around .1 and your bright to .3 or .4, and copy the other settings.

you'll also want to play with the eccentricity, specular rolloff, and set your specular color to around .5

don't forget to assign the material to your objects( I do it all the time!) and set your renderer to Mental Ray, and I usually use the 'production' preset.

This has made me realize that I don't think I've ever written directions for creating a shader before, so if someone notices something I left out or that could work better, feel free to jump in. :D
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, I couldn't be more thankful.. Your instructions took me a whole five minutes and it totally brought out all the finer details that were missing in my previous renders.

highrez.jpg
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooo I like it!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    nice man! real nice! Id consider chaing that ground texture. Its completly ruining the sense of scale you have going. it feels like a miniture =/ Also the door to get into the boat (on the bottom) is much much larger than the windows up top. So it feels like tiny rooms. and finally it looks like you might have forgoten to smooth some items? namly the arch on the front wall of the building and the ring around the firepit looking thing on the left.

Ill follow this up by saying....I havent read a single thing in this thread, im simply commenting on the photo i see. So if this has been adressed already, sorry =)

nice work again! hope u texture it.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, I have a bit of an ugly seam on my anchor.. I've heard that a good way to get rid of seams without remapping is to paint over them in zbrush. Does anybody know of any good tutorials on this process?

I'll update sometime over the next few days, Just need to finish the low rez of the boat, then texture it.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    FINALLY I'M DONE!!

lpcomplete.jpg

I've been plodding away at this for weeks, and I have learned so much during the process. This is the first time I've ever gone into this much detail with textures, this is the first time i've really dived into normal mapping, AO baking and plenty of other things. I'm very happy with the result, but I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement. Thoughts?
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow fantastic improvments and progress. This piece is really bringing you far.

One crit... the blue on the pillar pops too much for me. It keeps drawing my eye away from everything else. I think it's a combination of the color overall in the scene as well as needing more variation to break it up.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry mate that aint done, what you have there is a nice base, now add more life to it.

add a dirt/grime pass, bleach the wood that faces the sun, distinguish between the materials(metal wood and stone all look far too similar if not the same atm) and then make a propper spec map
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea the biggest thing i can see lacking is the material definiton, right now everythign seems to have the same level of spec and it makes it all very monotone. some nice highlights and some darker areas of grim like SHEP said would really make it shine. add a proper skydome and lighting too, it will make a huge difference.

the work looks really solid in terms of normals and great conceptual style, just needs a few hours more polish to be really memorable. nice work man.
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    i love stylized pieces like this.
    SHEPEIRO prety much said it all. just take it a bit further with the materials, and you got your self kick ass folio piece.

solid work.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    sorry mate that aint done, what you have there is a nice base, now add more life to it.

add a dirt/grime pass, bleach the wood that faces the sun, distinguish between the materials(metal wood and stone all look far too similar if not the same atm) and then make a propper spec map

lol, nice and to the point.

You're definitely right. I finished that peice at 3am, hence the excitement. I'm sure that I can push the texture alot more, and I will. Especially on the actual boat part of the model, which is quite dull at the moment.

Thank you all for the encouragement and also the crits. I'm glad that you guys think the normals look ok, in regards to the spec map though, is there anything I should know about making a good spec map?
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I've been following everybody's advice (Especially Shep's) and with a small amount of tweaks so far, I have already improved the piece greatly. I did a few of the things Shep suggested on the last page, to help make the textures pop just a bit more. I also followed Stimpack's advice and changed the ground, which I think has also added plenty to the piece. It has really broken up the transition from the ground to the model.

I'm getting around to adding a greater contrast between different materials, I think that the glass is the worst offender, so that will be the first challenge I'll tackle. I haven't altered the spec yet either. Do you think I'm on the right track?
    lptextureprogress.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a quickie and rough with it but i was thinking something a bit like this but maybe a touch less saturated
    poop.jpg
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Much much better now! Almost there ;) Now have one more go through the textures and make it less generic - add dirt, rust, scratches, dust.. and some nice specular as a final touch would be cool! ;)
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Are you saying I should make it a night time piece? With lights coming from the lights in the shot? I considered that, but that would involve me having to toy around with glow maps. (I can still do it, and I think it has potential.. Maybe I could do both.)

But yeah, I've gone through and made the windows look like windows.. I'll grime up the rest of the texture a bit, and hopefully it'll look sweet.

Thanks for the advice.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the recent progress. Looks defiantly better. Maybe you can mix day and night effect by setting your scene around the early morning or late evening.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think Shepeiro's main point was to give it a more dynamic and interesting atmosphere. The geo is there, the textures are almost there, but the lighting/time of day/atmosphere is flat and boring as hell. Spice it up. I like Shep's night scene, but I'm sure you could do a day shot that's just as interesting.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like Shep's ideas, but I think the saturation is a bit over the top.
    BlowHole.jpg
    - If you go night, make sure to add in some moon light
    - Push grime and soot into some areas that probably aren't touched that much.
    - Adding specularity will really help define the materials and the setting.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    How 'bout adding a nice background and make it a nice lil scene? Not just a model...