Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Jonathan Armstrong

Hey all,
I am interested in both Level Design and Environment Art and would like to have my portfolio reviewed. Tell me what you think is working and what isn't working, and I will do my best to edit my website. I am continually adding stuff as I complete new projects, so check back often for updates.

Thanks,
Jonathan

www.jonarm.com

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You need to learn how to do proper SPC maps, because SPC maps straight out of crazybump are not good. Also, are those your models in the Level design? Should note it if they are not.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i agree. making a diffuse map and then passing it through crazy bump to get spec and normal is not the way to do it. it will give you a horrible spec map because its just a program, it doesnt know what needs to be shiny and what doesnt. and for normal maps, you should use a highpoly model to project onto the lowpoly to get normal maps that way. crazybump should just be used to complement the normal map you get from baking.

levels look cool though.
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    john terribly random question... whats the song you use on your demo reel?
  • JonathanArmstrong
    whats_true: Yes, I am aware of the faults of running the diffuse map straight through CrazyBump. For my older models, I had been creating a separate bump map and then taking that into CrazyBump or the Nvidia Photoshop plugin. Recently, I have been using Zbrush and using transfer maps in Maya. Most of the assets are mine in the "MAD" level, but the other two levels are using assets from Unreal. I have noted this in the description under the picture, but it seems that most people overlook those descriptions. I didn't want to put the notes on the actual image because I thought it would detract from the detail. In those levels I was focusing solely on level design and designing player experience through lighting and scripted events. I'm definitely not trying to claim those assets as mine.

WeaZe: The song is Hybrid - Finished Symphony. I first heard it in the first SSX for PS2.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    To be honest I found the site navigation to be pretty tedious. I wanted to quickly see your work, but it seemed sort of unorganized and all over the place.
    The motorcycle in my opinion is your best piece, although it has sort of weird mesh flow in places (like the tire seems have far too many polys). Most of the thumbnail images you have are so small that I have no idea what I will see if I click on them. When the image eventually loads (I find flash loading pretty annoying), you sometimes have weird angles and such that its hard for me to figure out what to make of it.
    I think to improve your site you should focus on grouping your work into some sort of categories. Find a method of making presentations sheets, like show one image just the wire frame, next to it one image with normals etc etc, then stick to that layout for all your models. I feel like you have some good work here, just if you only presented it a bit better it could really shine. Good luck!
  • JonathanArmstrong
    Thanks BradMyers82, very helpful advice :). I will be getting to that and strive to have it done by this weekend.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to agree with BradMyers82, specifically with the thumbnail placement on the levels page. They seemed to be in quadrant placement, but when I went to look at some, I was unsure if they were the same level or not.
  • JonathanArmstrong
    I reconstructed my website and have been adding newer screens of my work. I'd like to hear what you think (there is also a link to my level design site under the downloads button, or go to levels.jonarm.com).
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Jon

Your definatily on the right track, can't say I saw your website before the new updates but as of now its pretty nice and easy to navigate.

In your reel personally id like to see your yamaha for longer,especially since the Me109 gets a longer period and doesn't feel quite as solid. Also I don't see the point of having that shot of the me109 going through the flak bursts, it doesn't add anything to your reel.

The Me109 seems odd to me, on its own it looks pretty good but that hanger shot from behind the right hand stabliser reveals several problems. It becomes clear you created the normals through CB via the diffuse, this isn't nessarily a bad thing in some cases but the reason I know this is because the markings are also being affected by the normals and quite a deep indent is being created, this looks horrible. The normals generally appear to be far to strong for the overall model ,the weathering looks more like entire chunks have been taken out the plane.

Again are they the same models? as the points above don't look quite so evident from the renders of the plane on its own.

The nuke suffers from similar problems, the normal map is far to strong for what it needs to be.

The hanger in all those shots looks rushed, the lighting is quite nice but the textures need a major rethink as you have used the same texture on just about every beam,girder and overhang.
    Not only that but the texture your using would never normally be associated with those areas of that kind of structure. It would normally appear on a floor or areas to provide a bit of grip, normally underfoot.

Even if its a lighting exercise thats no excuse to rush everything else, especially since its your folio work.

The steel door I like

Maybe get some old school diffuse textures on some of those Low-poly model you got just to make them look more finished.

Hope this helps a bit mate. As it happens I have a similar but opposite problem with my normal maps, I think mine are too strong so i reduce them.....only I reduce them to a point where there not even visible at any sort of distance....but I think this is largily because my spec maps are shizzle and is something i'm working on as specs and normals compliment each other.

keep at it.

John
  • JonathanArmstrong
    Thanks for the comments about my work and website, Bronco. I will work to tone down my normals and have already stopped relying on CB.
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the shot of the plane take away the blurry outer glow...it's distracting and makes the textures look blurry...my eyes are fighting between the outline and the actual model