Home General Discussion

Wow, pretty amazing what the Crytek engine can do..

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    they could be doing that with vertex colors?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah a side effect (or design!) of a lot of SSAO systems means that "flat" stuff will be grey, occluded goes to black, and jutting edges get lighter:
    shot_0_in.jpg

It doesn't have to be done like this, but I think it's a useful thing, and as Peris says it's definitely one of the things that can make even an average model look a lot more detailed. There's a lot of stuff using tiling simple textures in Crysis that would look terrible in other engines - which is why when you turn down the Shader detail, it's the most noticeable hit in scene consistency quality really.
    You can drop the texture detail down and it's not as noticeable that stuff is blurry when you have all the SSAO working, and the colour correction and post processing - I think that's where all the magic is.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn makes me really want to get the expansion... the art as a whole was incredible, and as they promised, it just keeps scaling upwards! The idea of a Jurassic Park-style game with this engine would be incredible!

Have any other games even come close?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SSAO = ? SS ambient occ, sure

ss? sub surface?

EDIT: screen surface AO

So SSAO is based on the geometries relation to the camera and not its position in world space? Is that it? And those when we have a window overlooking, say, nothing, the inside edges of that window would get this SSAO magic and not being entirely correct? Fuck I'm tired so I hope this makes sense.

EDIT: My above example assumes there's more geometry behind that window for the SSAO to cast on to.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    screen space ambient occlusion
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This threads getting technical - shall I move it move it?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnkJQWe0JQ[/ame]
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    AB - yeah it's screenspace ambient occlusion and it's a 'trick' the objects arent being shaded by their relationship in world space, it's all based on the depth buffer. Which is why you will see little halos or even objects shading things in the distance (although i think there is some stuff that can be done to alleviate that).
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, SSAO is a postprocessing pass like bloom or color correction.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    About floating objects casting AO shadow : if I understand correctly you could get around this thanks to the Zbuffer.

Basically you render the AO shadows using the screen normals so there is no notion of what blue plane is in front of what blue plane. However the Zbuffer can tell depth relationship between objects.

I would imagine that once you 'tag' the screen surface of each object being drawn(example, floating object gets tag#1 and background object gets tag#2), you can can easily extract the average depth value of such surfaces and compare them. The bigger the difference in Z, the less AO you create where the two objects meet? You could even prevent the bleeding of the AO from the background over the object in the foreground.

But I have on idea of what I'm talking about hehe :D
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Uh. . . isn't that what I said?

no.
    you said that if other games added all the stuff that crysis has, their performance would be as bad as crysis on low-end computers.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    the "highlights" are really a side-effect of how SSAO works. Yes one could take care of it and remove it, but as mentioned, it does add more contrast to the shading...

A prequel/similar effect to SSAO is this paper:
    http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/publikationen/2006/unsharp_masking/webseite/

which also illustrates how the "highlights" and darkening is done in principle.

Now the difference of SSAO to that one is, that depth isnt blurred, but per depth pixel you look around neighboring depth pixels and therefore find out how much occlusion is going on. Of course this is a simplifcation, as you only have an object's front depth, and not its back. Also as the effect is in screenspace, you get "wrong" results at the screen edges.

That "looking around neigboring pixels" is similar to placing a sphere on the depth point and shoot random rays with raising distance around it. As this is very costly, only a few rays are shot, and SSAO is performed in a smaller resolution, and then upsampled and blurred...
    You may remember my pdf (whats cool in graphics) There is a few shots in there that illustrate the effect (page 51-53). Nvidia has a demo of a variant that uses the normal as well (which you normally have around in deferred shading) and then you can sample around a hemisphere.
  • psychoticprankster
    glib wrote: »
    Then use the links like the rest of us.

It all looks great until you see the head:
    http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/asian.jpg

:(
    I did. They just weren't appearing in Adams first post.
  • Talbot