Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Poly Gangster

Hello

This is a model I started last year. Something I'm trying to get finished.
I wanted to create a low poly version of a Mudbox sculpt that I had previously done; fully textured using colour/normal/specular maps.

This is work in progress at the moment, and still needs a lot of work; but i'm posting it here to get some crits and comments before I go any further.

MUDBOX SCULPT
Crooner_Double_PM.jpg

TEXTURE - FIRST PASS
Crooner_tex_WIP_01.jpg

TEXTURE MAP
Crooner_WIP_update.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, not what I expected to see by the title, but looking really nice all the same. The main thing that sticks out to me atm is the ears. They seem over simplified and detached from the rest. They could of course use some color variation too, but you were probably going to get to that later.
    The skin has a really nice soft feel that I like though and I could totally see this as a character in a pixar film. Keep going man!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome as usual, but like Brad was saying those ears need something. I don't think it's the shape and modeling that's doing it, it's the texture. Maybe some nice faked SSS in the backs of them, more blood flow like you have going with the rest of the face, lotta blood vessels in the ears, could probably get a bit darker on the inside too. Keep it up!
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your style.

Only crit I could give is in the geometry. I would move those triangles that are above his eyebrow area closer to this hair line. It seems like he would have a lot of exaggerated eye expressions. Those triangles might cause slightly odd deformation if he were to be animated.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, he's a great character!

However it seems like you're rendering the textures "fullbright" at the moment, which seems a bit weird if it's a normal-mapped asset? Basically I much preferred the detailed, "deep" look of the sculpt, where all the features were nicely exaggerated - I can't see that at all in the textured version, it looks like it might as well just be a flat diffuse texture with no normal/spec... but I suspect it's the way you're presenting it that's giving that effect.

Would be interesting to see how he looks with just the specular/normalmap (no diffuse) and a single point light in the scene (no ambient). I think it would look really cool, because the sculpt has all that nice detail, the normalmap should hold that really well.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Just a small update, been very busy recently so not got as much done as I would of liked to on this. But never mind.:\

Crooner_Update_2head.jpg

Working into the colour map a little.
    Next steps: finish off colour map and test out in a game engine.

BradMyers82, Em: Hey thanks. Following both of your suggestions and trying to get the ears to blend into the rest of the face, not quite there yet but improving a little I think.

zerafian: Thanks for that, point noted.

MoP: Thanks, I should of explained it better I'm using a temp spec map that I quickly created at the moment. These shots have only have the colour map on at the moment. Hopefully sort the spec and normal map properly soon. Cheers for comment always helpful.:)

MoP, just for you here's the a screenshot of the low poly mesh with spec/normal maps in the Maya.

Cronner_normal_spec.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ah awesome, that looks great :)
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is good on it but I think that the ears should have the color a little darker and not so bright.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yes, new ears are much better.
    i am second, who waits normal mapped+textured version.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit more work on this (most likely the final version now)

Low poly version with colour / normal / specular maps.
    Screen captured from Maya.

Crooner_C-N-S.jpg
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    looking awesome,
    have u done the mouth interior, teeth and tongue?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it. The textures are great and are all more improved since the first post. It's a really nice and well exectuted peice to me.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    looks great man.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    you are one mole short of a creepy old man my good sir :)
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos, DrillerKiller, flow3d, r4ptur3: Cheers!

ultra: Hey Thanks. No, I didn't do the mouth interior, teeth or tongue. I'll probably attempt those on the next model I do.

Here's the different development stages of the colour map for those who might like to see it...

Crooner_Texture_Stages_combo_redone.jpg