Home Technical Talk

Organizing Project Files

So for a long time now I've been trying to understand the project files of the programs I use. The two programs that I need help understanding the file structure of are the UT3 editor and 3ds Max 2009. For a long time I have had two partitions on my computer, one for the OS + Program Files + Small Temporary Files and the other partition for everything else... everything I do NOT want to lose. :P

3ds Max
For every "Project" I'm doing in 3ds max I have a folder on the second partition. Under that folder I have the following: Reference, Project Files(3ds max structure), Base Textures (original image files only), Update Screenshots. The only folder that has any folders under it is the 3ds max Project Files. For a long time I've wanted to merge my custom folders with the 3ds max project files but I don't really know what I want it to look like. So here are my questions. I haven't touched Maya in a long time but something that I remember is that you can custimize them in program... can you do that in 3ds max? If you delete some of the default project folders will it screw anything up? Anyone want to share what there 3ds max project file structure is?

UT3 Editor:
Before I get too deep in this I wan to point out that I don't have much experience in this editor so I really don't have any really specific questions.
So like I said above, I like to keep all of my project files on a seperate partition (not C). From what I understand, the default folder for all map files is in My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3/UT Game. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how they would draw the line between files I should store here and files I should store on the other partition? And this is pretty broad but... can anyone explain "packages" to me? Where they need to be saved and stuff like that. Sorry I'm just having a hard time understanding them.

Thanks.

If you are confused about anything that I've said please just ask me. I tried to make this all as organized as I could.