Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gothic Interior

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
I'm starting to work on this Gothic interior. It will be another modular approach, I'm timing myself on this one to get this done as quickly as i can.

library5gl2.jpg

Here's part of a column deco I'm working on.

statuevp2.jpg

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay now im stuck. That deco piece above should I just use it as piece of floating geometry to set up against the column? Or should I just use this as a normal map and texture it on the column? Which will look the best? I'm thinking the floating geometry idea, but I afraid it might up the polycount more. Any suggestions?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    wheres your ref? that will help decide
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The column on the left with the people deco on top row. Those's people look embedded but one is sticking out. So im thinking floating geo.

clmsir6.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    you could add a tiny bit of geo for that, like literally a few tris, but its such a small detail with not much depth that I reckon you could bake it down.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could add a tiny bit of geo for that, like literally a few tris, but its such a small detail with not much depth that I reckon you could bake it down.

Yeah but those tiny tri's should they be floating or welded to the rest of the mesh?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    welded in for a better bake, just a lump basically otherwise they will look like a seperate object,
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent you guys were a big help.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    i was wondering how much texture space you would give to a capital like that? it would have to be fairly high res to get the most detail out of it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's a Victorian style of architecture, not Gothic. I'm not very good with interiors so I can't be much more specific than that. You might have an easier time finding reference if you're searching in the right century.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was wondering how much texture space you would give to a capital like that? it would have to be fairly high res to get the most detail out of it.

Im betting 2048 x 2
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    That's a Victorian style of architecture, not Gothic. I'm not very good with interiors so I can't be much more specific than that. You might have an easier time finding reference if you're searching in the right century.

A found the background info on the image. It says that is a Victorian Gothic town hall. So it's a mixed style.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    2048x2 for game rez, for a capital of a pillar? I doubt it.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    2048x2 for game rez, for a capital of a pillar? I doubt it.

I always start out hi res then go low if need be.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first I thought 2048x2 for the whole scene, that sounds reasonable for modular design.

Wait, hold on is that 2048x2 for just the pillar?

Wait, hold on is that 2048x2 just for the top of the pillar?

Doesn't UE3 automatically downsize anything over 1024 down to 1024 unless you set some override flags?
    I would seriously adjust your texture budget down to something more realistic. Something like say 2048x2 for the whole scene. Which should be perfectly doable if you work modular and make a few tiles.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    At first I thought 2048x2 for the whole scene, that sounds reasonable for modular design.

Wait, hold on is that 2048x2 for just the pillar?

Yeah I was going to do the base elements a 2048 and the much smaller elements and 1024, but you say I can do the whole scene 2048x2?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    VIG is right about UE3 resizing enviro textures above 1024, it's best to just texture at 2048, resize to 1024 with bicubic sharper and then run an unsharp mask on it to beef the sharpness so that you counteract some of the compression.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    VIG is right about UE3 resizing enviro textures above 1024, it's best to just texture at 2048, resize to 1024 with bicubic sharper and then run an unsharp mask on it to beef the sharpness so that you counteract some of the compression.

Excellent, but what is the "bicubic sharper" is that a max render filter?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    when you resize images in photoshop you can choose between a couple different methods at the bottom like bicubic, bicubic smoother, bicubic sharper etc, "bicubic sharper" works well for resizing to a smaller size
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    when you resize images in photoshop you can choose between a couple different methods at the bottom like bicubic, bicubic smoother, bicubic sharper etc, "bicubic sharper" works well for resizing to a smaller size

Ahhh. I didn't realize that. Thanks a lot.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my modular rough. It looks pretty straightforward to me.

hallcolorhm3.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The modular rough sounds good to me.Cant wait to see this piece.

Keep it coming

Vj
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1k for the pillar should give you a nice resolution of 256 PPM, if you want more id suggest splitting out the top and bottom onto a 1k with a 256x1k for the actual pillar, looks like a good setup so far.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's a good overall plan for the modular pieces, but I see some areas where regular tiles could be used and save a lot of texture space. You shouldn't uniquely unwrap everything (at least not for the diffuse, if you decide to light maps that's a different ball of wax):
    - The bricks in 5, 3 & 14 could be done with a single tile.
    - The stripped pattern on the arches, could be a horiz tile.
    - The bottom part of 1 and all of 2 could be combined to one tile.
    - Each of the pillars doesn't need to be unwrapped uniquely, a few slight variations could be placed on one sheet and mix and match the UV's around so no two pillars that sit next to each other are the same.
    - Or if one pillar was made out of a cylinder you could rotate it slightly for each pillar. So it displays a unique side. One texture for all the pillars.
    - 6 & 3 could be combined into one mesh, and share one texture sheet. Using the same trick for the posts and the stairs. A few slight variations and some smart unwrapping go a long way in breaking up the repeating. You'd be surprised what kinds of tricks you can do on stairs with a really small strip, and some well placed UV's.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vig I kinda have a second thought here.I would just consider the arch as a half piece of modular object,which can be mirrored.Your suggestion will also work,but what if you need like unique damages to be shown on the arch pieces,where you make a nice detailed high res mesh which shows subtle weathering and things like that.
    Yes some of the wall textures are like world textures,which can be tiled and used anywhere needed. This is just my thought..

Vj
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    1k for the pillar should give you a nice resolution of 256 PPM, if you want more id suggest splitting out the top and bottom onto a 1k with a 256x1k for the actual pillar, looks like a good setup so far.

Dude I am SOOO ignorant of these terms. What do you mean by "256 PPM"? Also are you suggesting that for the pillars that the top and bottom bases of the pillar should be 1024x and the middle tier of the pillar should 256x?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Each of the pillars doesn't need to be unwrapped uniquely, a few slight variations could be placed on one sheet and mix and match the UV's around so no two pillars that sit next to each other are the same.

Are you saying that I can create a map for two different versions of pillars and all i have to do is take the same pillar mesh and move around the uv's on the texture map to get two different versions? If so how do I go about making a 512 x 1024 map to fit things in with more space without the uv's stretching horizontally?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So instead of a 512x1024 you put two pillars side by side on one 1024x1024. I'd actually make that part of a 512 and pack on some other stuff like the top and bottom pieces.

As for the stretching, you can either start that way, by setting the custom bitmap dimensions. Or create a texture with those dimensions (uncheck use custom bitmap settings) and apply that to your mesh then start unwrapping. It's not too horrible if you have to scale it afterward, some times it helps to turn on pixel snapping.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pillars.jpgpillars.jpg
    To be clear this is what I was talking about.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The whole pillar should be one whole texture map right? Or separate maps. I'm a little confused.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One map should get the job done and is probably preferable if they are always going to be seen together and never separated. It will probably make them easier to paint if they're all in the same file.

I was trying to point out that you can texture 6 pillars with 3 unique parts (on one texture sheet) and no one would really catch on that the textures repeat.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's minor update of this project. SO much for getting this done in a short time span. I hate when other things get in the way.

columnmsample.jpg

Also this column is high poly and will be sculpted in Zbrush. I'm using the hi poly to low poly method. I unwrapped the high poly version, then will texture in photoshop, after that I will sculpt in Zbrush aided with a height map template created in photoshop, and bake. After all of that finally I will optimize the high poly to low poly. What do you guys think about that strategy?

Also one more question how does my pillar UV layout look too? Does it make sense? I think so. On the bottom of the UV layout I extended the long barrel portion of the pillar because that will be tiled.

columntpsample.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice pillar, not sure if that uvlayout will work have you tried a checkerboard texture on the object to test?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another unwrap setup from the same pillar

columntpunwrap.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any ideas on this?
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serious critique good job
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more screenies! All critiques welcomed! The screen on the top left is a low poly normal map.

townsamp1.jpg

townsamp2l.jpg