Home Technical Talk

Which approach?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
michi.be polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys I'm considering to convert this concept into a Deathmatch level for Crysis.
Now im sitting and staring at the pic and wonder how to get started the best way?

felsenzeug.jpg

I think a possible way would be to rought out the basements and the walls. Each layer from down to top.
Then maybe painting the detailed geometry using 3dsmax and the "paint deformation" or a quick zbrush session. I could use a lowpoly version of this result for texturing.

This could maybe result in blurry textures if i use several skinmeshes and the player will walk close on them all the time. big tileable textures would look boring but more detailed. Vertex painting cant be done in the cryengine2 for blending two textures. so there would be obvious seams along some parts. I could cover them with decals or other rock models, vegetation, sticking out of the rocks.

I think its a real nifty thing to model and get into a good level.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    start with a blockout of the main shapes, and see how it plays , then blockout of props, then it will come to you :) thats how i would do it at least ;P
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    im with johny on this one, block out with primitives, play around and polish the gameplay before moving on to the art side. and make sure you dont divert from the main shapes of the blockout durring your art pass.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome indeed would make a great deathmatch map i am sure

here is how you shoudl start :

with a cube ...

and than look how this cube is different form your mountain there and start cutting and extruding away. thats how i start everything i am always like oh my god what should i do but than i pop in a cube and than i am instantly mad at the cube for not being at all like what i want and things heat up quickly.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    I started with the blocking and proportionizing of all the stuff so I can try different art approaches afterwards.

Theres not much to see at the moment but I will keep you updated in the wip forums then.

Thanks for your input guys. :)