Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hudson AK 47

Current Polycount - 2249 Triangles
Max Polycount - 3500 Triangles
Where are you looking to receive criticism - Mesh

Hi guys,
First post Here
I'm Making this standard Hudson AK for my portfolio when I make one. So I'm going to work extra hard taking as much C&C you can give me. So progress so far Just the low poly. I might make a high poly but I think I can handle everything with just hand edited Height/Normals with PS. There's not much I can do for the High, Only some screws and additional areas that could have been extruded.

I'm Planning to leave out some of the space in the UV for additional extras such as the rail system and Optic/Main sight/scope As well as a silencer and grenade launcher. If I have enough time I will test it out in Source and Crysis. Mesh may be a little messy, but I haven't quite got to the mesh optimizing yet.

If you have any advice please tell me.

C&C Welcome.

akclay3.jpg
akwires2.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good to me. Definitely recognisable, so that's something :)

The main thing that stands out to me is that the stock and grip are very angular - in the pictures I found it seems like the stock tends to be a bit more rounded-looking. You should probably bevel the back of the stock to stop it looking so sharp, and I think add some more geometry to the lower part of the stock so that it's smoother and more round.
    The lighting in this shot shows the shape of the stock quite well, I think.

Keep it up! :)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, nice model. I'd fix the stock like MOP said, but if this is an FPS gun, the stock/grip won't be in view as much as the top and front of the gun, so if you're going to spend more polys on it, put them in the visible area.

Out of curiosity what's a "Hudson" AK?
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be his name :)

Vj
  • Acid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Crit.

For those who want to know what the hudson AK is:
    The Hudson AK 47 was remade by the Hudson group. Who Remanufacture and redefine existing weapons to suit the terms of todays weapons. The Hudson AK has better handling, lighter in weight, replacing old materials with lighter stronger ones and has a increased ROF. Although I'm not too sure about the details of the arms company. My friend used to manufacture weapons for them a few years back, and got to take home some prototype replicas.

Anyway, Fixed the stock and beveled off some of the areas.
    ak47clay1.jpg
    ak47wireframe.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    make sure you get the rear of the dustcover correct, it's very distinctive and in-your-face.

I'll show you how my AK looks from the rear view, not to be a fuckhead, but because mine is built from blueprints and the shape of the reciever was actually traced out for me for a guy i know who has an ak.

blablaik3.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    are you thinking of Hudson, the REPLICA gun company?
    http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/AK_hudson.htm

That's the only Hudson AK I know of.
  • Acid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Harry
    Yep, I guess just a few chamfers should to the trick, I didn't know it was that round though. Could'nt find a good enough reference.

@Tumerboy
    Yeah, I am talking about the replica company.They stopped selling real weapons back in 04'. So I just started working off the references that I could find of the replicas.

Question For anybody out there:
    Should I turn this into a highpoly and then work of a low poly when it's done? Or should I start from the low poly then make a high? I've been told that It will take longer if I go from Low to High.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    personally I find it easier to build a HP first then build a lp cage over that
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    are you thinking of Hudson, the REPLICA gun company?
    http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/AK_hudson.htm

That's the only Hudson AK I know of.

was thinking the same...

it's lighter 'cause there's no bullets in it!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I think you should aim for a super "kick-ass" high-poly, and then build your low-poly around that. But when you do build your high-poly, always keep in mind other things. Like, how your going to bake in relation to your low-poly, What the player will actually see, ect.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Acid_ wrote: »
    @ Harry
    Yep, I guess just a few chamfers should to the trick, I didn't know it was that round though. Could'nt find a good enough reference.

I just realised I'm an idiot for not responding to your need for reference material.

http://www.pixagogo.com/1890304226

The refs are from mixed production models, i'd explain them all but that might be silly. If you have any questions regarding the variants let me know.
    I've also got my folder full of refs from when i was digging around finding material to build mine, but iirc it's mostly internals.
  • Acid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Thanks for the crit Guys and the Reference Harry. I've never really done from High to Low before. So basically is it making the Low Poly from scratch after I have finished the High? I don't have much knowledge of doing so. If you could give out a guide or tut that would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    everyone has their own way of doing it from what I can tell. I know it sucks but you kind of have to just try different ways til you find what you're comfortable with. Some people model a low from scratch, some people model the low then subdivide it and edit to make the high, some people model the high then edit the cage used in sub d to produce the low... etc etc. There's a lot of flexibility with how you produce the stuff because in the end you only need one normalmapped low poly model, and a high poly model.
  • Acid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Thanks for the info. I've decided to work into making the current mesh a High poly and then I'm going to build the low around it once I'm done. How does floating geometry work? Here's where I am so far, Am I doing the right thing?
    highwip.jpg