Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starcraft 2 Door

dun dun dunnnnn...

Yo. heres a work i did a few months ago. Its my recreation of that one shot from the starcraft 2 cinematic with the space marine dude getting hooked up into his armor.

its definitely not game res. and it was rendered in max using vray. but i was tinking of making lowpoly version in the future.

only post effects were slight overall color shift and glow ( i didnt know how to do them in the render at the time).

anyway. what do you guys think?

btw kelvin, give me the ball. let me poke it.

EDIT: AWWWW damn you photobucket.

starcraftdoor.jpg

door-wire.gif

Replies

• ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    very nice recreation!
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    I think this is my favorite piece of yours. The rest of your stuff seriously sucks except for rage for obvious reasons.

Would be cool to see this in game res though. Full House it lol but more then this shot. You know you want to.

You are banned from the ball sorry
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Often wondered how something this high-poly is unwrapped and textured. Mind explaining?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great dude!

Adam:Just unwrap your pre-subd model. It helps sometimes to render your UV template using the smoothed version too.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, if i showd you the textures youd laugh at me. they very simple. mostly everything was planar mapped. except tubes and cylinders of course.

material consisted of a diffuse, spec and bump.

i put a few pieces of geo on the same unwrap to keep the number of maps lower. but yea, since everything is rather flat, i used mostly a planar map to get it started.

oh yea, since i modelled in sub-d using NURMS smoothing, i applied the unwrap on top of the smoothing . if i did unwrap the low version , then smoothed it, it would look kinda weird, the seams would get stretched around and stuff. so, in the end because of the unwrap on the models, the tesselation was kinda high.

kelvin: ill kill you so hard until you give me the ball.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice! any larger renders?
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    impressive recreation :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    That video was righteous. Nice work man.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    nice work indeed ! i'd be interested to see the lighting setup and get some explainations about your rendering process, etc :) Trying to get my head into these pre-rendered stuff, but that's definitly not "easy". :p
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    perfect

good textures as well!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really well done. Since you mentioned, now I want to see the textures.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Often wondered how something this high-poly is unwrapped and textured. Mind explaining?

this please
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work! Nice modeling that must have taken a while! Behold the power of spec maps and bounce lighting! ha ha!
    Never worry about how fugly your high poly UV's are, they don't need to be pretty, just pretty functional =P

As for everyone wondering how to unwrap high poly, you already know... Just do whatever works best, and don't worry about making it all real time and fit on one tiny sheet. SHEESH!

I think you handled the glow the right way. You could have easily wasted a few hours/days trying to get the same look with half a dozen other systems inside of 3dsmax. But if your interested here are some ideas to get started.

Rendering > Effects > Add... > Lens Effect > Glow
    This can work kind of like a pixel shader so only certain materials or objects glow or it can be plugged into a light. Adding it to a light is probably the easist and quickest.

If you plan on using the material know that what effects call Material ID's aren't the same as material ID's you use for multi-subobject materials. Its actually referring to the Material ID Channel (blue number next to the preview in viewport button in the material editor).

The only draw back to doing the glow effect on a material ID is that where it finds a pixel in the final render it adds the same glow radius to it. So if you have some object moving toward the camera the glow halo will be the same radius. So far off objects look like they are really glowing, then hardly glow when they move up to the camera. Unless you animate the parameters in the Effects tab, which can be tricky and time consuming. So I suggest only using the Glow Effects on lights or static 1 frame renders.

MentalRay, MentalRay ProMaterials, VRay, ShaderFX and to a limited degree regular vanilla Scanline all have glow materials you can use also. These glowing materials are different then the Effects Glow and most actually emit light. ShaderFX is pretty nice I suggest checking it out for more then just the glow shader.

So... sorry for the thread high jack but I thought it would be useful info...

Awesome stuff! Do more! Do more!

Ya... ok, I'm done.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Good work! Nice metal textures
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Great texture work and render! Very satisfying to look at.
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    Cool door! Love the texturing on this. The metal feels so good in that top shot. Great job! Now get it in game!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »

The only draw back to doing the glow effect on a material ID is that where it finds a pixel in the final render it adds the same glow radius to it. So if you have some object moving toward the camera the glow halo will be the same radius..
    i was sure you could link the strength and size to the zdepth thus negating this problem...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    The only draw back to doing the glow effect on a material ID is that where it finds a pixel in the final render it adds the same glow radius to it.

That's hardly the only draw back. There's really no benefit at all, actually. Just add them in post. It's a headache and not worth the trouble to get it done in the render.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the positive feedback.

i think i attempted to do the glow using a vray material. but it didnt work out. post so much easier. its not like its "cheating". haha.

anyway, heres my lighting setup and textures

doorLighting.jpg

doorMaterial.jpg

hope it shows what i did. see what i mean about the textures...very simple. actually i dont think i put a bump on the actual door. haha. eeeeh...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome work man, the metal reads really well. cool to see most of the details come from the spec. thanks for sharing.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Great work! Thanks for the process shots.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    pretty cool! only thing i see is the lack of depth. making the metal plates thicker or making those gaps between the plating deeper. looks awesome non the less. keep up the good work.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Really sweet work, nice textures. :) No do the rest! ;)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    very nice spec map
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, finishing the rest would be sweet. and hard. unless i combine your tiling wall segments with my door, then it would be perfect. hahaha.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    With all of that space, why did you not make both gratings unique? Why the overlapping?