Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Mique

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mique polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone!

Here's my portfolio

I'm looking for a job, so I need a nice portfolio. I've only worked in small studios before as a general 3d artist, working with everything from 2d gui, to models and textures, rigging and animation. I'll guess a good start at a bigger studio would be applying as a prop/general artist or something.

So any critique on the content is appreciated, also any suggestion of what I need to show more of would be nice.

Thanks

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    "Read more about me under resume or check out my portfolio below." Really? :)

Neutral color background is usually better for presenting art.

The two character heads don't help. The first appears to be holding his breath. The second, as you said, is a test, and isn't presented in a way that shows it has a normal at all.

Resume is mostly bare, it doesn't even have your name. There could be a description of what you did on these projects.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i think you need to present your models better. flat lighting and back-lit models with no cast shadows just makes them look wacky and self-illuminated.
    also, props like that chair don't take long to make, and its probably the best piece in your portfolio. why don't you have more like that to show?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with aniceto, the characters look like they are 100% self illuminated. I'm not sure why you would do this, for the one you made a high poly for. It's almost as if you didn't use the high poly?
    Anyways, your gun and chair look of much higher caliber than your characters. I think you should bust out a bunch more and perhaps ditch the characters as I feel they are only hurting you atm.
    Your work does show a lot of potential however, I'd like to see you start a WIP thread here.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah the gun and chair look good quality but I think there needs to be a bit more substance to your portfolio to really impress and show that you can be consistent
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I dont like the white background but im glad the actual images dont also have a white background at least.

I dont like how all the images are different sizes, looks messy to me.

Your work shows potential, but like others have said, you need to show more.
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for the feedback guys, it really helped a lot

agree that the chair is the best piece, it's also the newest one so I'll just keep on working with more stuff and remove the old stuff
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    hi again!

I've updated my portfolio

it has a new look now, no more white background :)

also added more info on the resume, remove some old stuff and added a few new ones and adjusted some characters.

any c&c are welcome
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    The look is much better. You've got vehicles spelled wrong on your resume though.
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    Oops, should be fixed now,

• smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice, I really like the Truck.

I would suggest you cutting the character models, and concepts out entirely...they drag the portfolio down since that isn't your strength.

Long-term I'd highly suggest you work on your core art skills (drawing, anatomy, etc.). You clearly can model but when it comes to things that need a higher level of art (characters, concepts) you could use some work there.

For now I'd say the portfolio is pretty solid, since you say you're aiming for prop/generalist jobs.
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    smurf: thanks for the input, didn't see your reply until now

I've taken down the old characters and added some more stuff. So it looks better now but it can always get better so I'm working on it.

Last week I started a course in zbrush now and here's my first attempt to make something out of it. It's a work in progress, I'm still figuring out how everything works with subtools and stuff.

Screens1.jpg