Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Marine Powerfist and axe

hey guys
first time poster. did these for a class project and wanted to get some critiques and some techiniques to improve my modeling and textures.
i had some trouble with the color of the crest, mainly in the creases.
any thoughts?

thanks
Powerfist_pbrousard.jpg
Poweraxe_pbrousard.jpg

Replies

• Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    It's too bad you couldn't get the top of the hand looking more like the reference. The fingers look good.

The damage on the Axe blade looks nice. I can't see much of what else is going on.

One thing I still don't understand is this infatuation with texture resolution sizes and specifying them as such. It's not just you, a lot of people do this. It takes no skill in turning a 2048 into 512...it's just a quick Bicubic sharpen. I want to see the texture work huge and in my face. I don't care when people state the size of them. When working for a company the LOD's can always be made later.

But you get bonus points for an awesome user name. :)

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it looks like you just crazybumped/photoshop filtered your normals? Looks like you didn't go that route on the specular. The axe specular looks cool from here.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    check the speculars of your refs, the red metal part isn't red in specular it's more blueish, your's tends to get a blurred red mass
  • Agent Michael Scarn
    Thanks for the input. i totally agree with the specualr color being blueish. I made the corrections after you posted.

The normal map is a mix of z brush and a photoshop filter overlay. i dont have a strong understanding of creating clean and good normal maps. does anyone have any techniques you could share with me?

Thanks