Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Material Rendering tutorial

Replies

• X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    onionhead, patient - Glad you guys dig it!

BradMyers - Slick stuff man, good work! :)
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82- sic man !!

i definatelly have this tutorial bookmarked for my new Folio im making !!

thank you X-Convinct!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    X-Convict, Duxun: Thanks! :)

Well I don't want to high jack this thread or anything but Patient09 PM'd me asking about the settings I used in particular, and I figured I would just post it here so people can look it up if they have similar questions.

Patient09: If you tell me exactly how you set up your scene and gave me a run down of what you have done it would certainly help.
    But I will attempt to explain without that.

First off, I pretty much followed the tutorial exactly. Having one spot light directed on the gun and 1 sky light above (it doesn't really matter where you place a skylight though)

Here is where I deviated from the tutorial a little. I added a rim light aka an omni light behind the gun and up high enough to hit the edges of various details. I made the omni light just a little light blue almost white in color and its strength is 0.4 (I lieft all other settings for this omni on default)

This is a screen grab of my light setup:

Render_Light_Setup.jpg

Now the one issue I had was that the shadows were coming off pixilated and crappy. I figured out it was coming from shadows that my spot light was making. My solution was to play with the "Shadow Map Params" dialogue in my spot lights settings. I increase the texture "Size" to 2048 (which gives the shadow map more resolution) and the "Sample Range" to 14 (which kind of blends and softens the shadows more). You can see these settings in the image above also.
    Furthermore, here is a tutorial I found explaining this: http://www.cglearn.com/tutorials/max3/13_mapping_coords_still_life_part_3.html

The final thing I did to add a little bit more to my render was I rendered an Ambient Occlusion pass and photoshoped it in (I placed the AO render above my original render, set the blending to "Multiply" and set the Opacity to 30% which makes the whole render pop better) Vig actually mentioned somewhere that this was a good idea (he is right!) Then I saved and I was done.

Now the AO render can be a bit difficult to understand if you haven't done this kind of thing before and its an extra step. You should get good renders even without it. But here is how I found the solution to rendering AO, quick and easy. This is just a copy of a discussion of how to do this on another forum, plus I explained a little more in places.

"
    There was comment by Glacierise...
    "An AO pass is also very easy in mental ray - just create a mental ray material, put the ambient occlusion shader in the surface slot, then put the created material in the material override slot in render settings/processing, and disable exp control."

The terminology can be confusing .. especially what someone means when they say 'shader'. Someone will correct me, but I use it to mean any component you can put in a shader tree, so it can easily be a procedural map, like this one.

(***Follow these steps exactly and it will work***) (Be sure to set your renderer to Mental ray also)
    Glacierise means: Select the [mental ray] material - (that's what it's called) and pop it in the material editor. You will see it has a 'Surface' slot. Put the AO map into this slot ("Ambient/Reflective Occlusion (3dsmax)". Then drag the whole material over to the Material Override slot ( in the main Render Settings / Processing tab (Press F10 to open Render Settings)) as an instance, so you can still adjust it back in the material editor. Render away.. every object in the scene will be allocated your new AO material, and you have an AO pass.

"

I didn't make any of this stuff up on my own, so I cannot take credit. It's really all thanks to this thread.

[Edit]

Oh yeah, on the ambient occlusion material (if you want to bake AO also as mentioned above) I increase the Samples to 64 (you should see "Samples:" in the root of that material).
    Also if you press F10 for the render setup dialogue, under the "Renderer" Tab there is a section called "Sampling Quality". I changed the "Samples per Pixel" to "Minimum: 1" and "Maximum: 16"

These two settings will greatly improve the quality of your AO render.
  • patient09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow brad. thanks for taking the time and helping out.

screen grab, tut link, translated 3d geek jargon. this is above and beyond and i appreciate it.

will do a few test runs and post results.

thanks again.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome. Thanks for clearing some of that stuff up. wish more people would explain how they use Mental ray in max. Thanks a ton.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff Brad, nice write up, nice results too. How long did it take to render at those settings?

What about playing around with a Z Depth Pass also, super quick to render, can be used for a few different things.
    3dsmaxZdepth.jpg

Go to render settings > render elements and add a ZDepth element. Render the scene it will spit out a grayscale image like above. Composite that into your shot, like AO or use this as a mask for effects like fog. You can also play with the min max settings to fine tune the depth.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also use a Z-depth pass in post for DOF.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of these types of renders. Kick ass man thanks!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks guys, glad I could add to this already awesome tutorial. I actually made a few mistakes with that sight on the gun and as a result have to re-render the fixed version.

So...

Vig: I'll try that z-depth trick you mentioned. The results look really cool. I have a pretty fast computer (quad core, 2 8800gt's, 8gigs ram) and I don't know much about what exactly it takes to speed up render times; but these renders take about 10 minutes for the main render, and a couple of minutes for the AO render.

[Edit]
    Also note in regards to the time: The size I rendered was 2048x2048
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Vig: I just had a go with the Z-Depth element (you can see my results on my WIP gun thread if you interested).
    Anyways, I can already see that one can get some really nice results with it. I ended up compositing a Z-Depth pass as an Overlay at 40 percent. Thanks again for the tip Vig :)
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    So I wanted to test this out. I did a quick render of an old object for a project I was working...not the best model to use but it will do. I really like the results that it gave me. What do you guys think?

generator.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave a try with my model,got to admit that this setup is simple and effective.
    Model is still not the final product though :)
    excavator.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    vj_box: That looks great!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to explain your additions to the process Brad. :)

These are the kind of variations in the setup I was hoping for to give people slightly alternative methods with different results to choose from. I think everything here is looking great guys!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice tut! thanks a bunch..

also thanks Brad for taking the time to put all that useful into together.

Here's a quick result with Ambient Occlusion pass on, great idea!

157hptz.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Update:

I messed with the material a bit more and was able to get the AO material to render within the shader, doing it this way saves you the trouble of saving out 2 images and having to comp them together in photoshop and still gives pretty much the exact same result. Here is an example, and then a link to my setup below it.

gunwithaoonepass.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9279/materialtutnrek.jpg

Thanks a lot X-Convict for sharing this, its a pretty awesome setup. Brad and Vig thanks for also sharing your tweaks, both add some cool effects. I finally took some time to play with this, and I am really glad I did :). Here is what I came up with.

materialtests.jpg

I pretty much followed the tutorial exactly to get a base then went and changed some values and added falloffs to get some built in rim light effects. After I got that then I used Brad's method to render out an AO pass.

I included a pic of the setup in case anyone is curious.
    http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=highpolymaterialtut.jpg
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiprender1.jpg
    fiddled around with that tutorial with a mesh that i was just working on when i browsed this thread. added a slightly orange omni above the mesh.

- Rick.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the setup pic nrek!

That pic you posted, that's how you got the AO into the shader, right?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    awesome job with adding bits to this material. Tried out nreks addition. workin pretty nice. Think i got it all working.

candle_holder1.jpg
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. This thread is BADASS.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. here were my results from combining a few of the techniques mentioned in this thread so far on this board thingy I started last night.

hoverboard.png

I learned a lot from this thread, so thanks again to everyone for sharing! awesome stuff.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL Carlos, just remember it won't work on water. . . unless you've got POWER!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nop, thats waaay to much to ask for! :p
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha, I guess my inspiration was quite obvious. lol.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Maya gets no love....
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Furk it... max is better anyways!

*runs and hides
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasphemy! Max is not better. It is different, that's all.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helen Parr: "Everyone's special Dash..."
    Dashel Parr: "Which is another way of saying no one is" /lip pout
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    For all those Maya haters out there, you could just apply a preset Phong ;)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    cha-yeaaaah works nicely for characters too britches!!
    UPDATEZ3b.jpg

<3 convict
    (and yes, i bumped this up for a reason)
  • Incubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried out this setup ,pretty cool results thus far . The model was inspired by the scimitar assault rifle used in the game section 8 ,concept by Brian [Mac] Smith . I'm making my student portfolio so this is to see how well can i match myself wth the current gen of models .

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2361/scimitarnewortho.jpg
  • Incubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another render wid the same setup ..mbtortho.jpg
  • Incubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The above model was inspired by the mbt used in Frontlines Fuels of War
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I'm terribly sorry for bumping this thread but I felt like this belonged here since it's related to the material. I've tested it and got nice results without further tweaking. Now, while I think the render already looks good as it is, I think it lacks contrats. What can I do to remedy this? How do I render an AO pass do fiddle with in post and make it really pop? Thanks in advance.

2zdra86.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You could try adding several materials, like the tank has dark tracks(or is that just the shadow?) and white decal thingies.
    You can also mess a bit with the light position and brightness to get some lighter colors in there, like getting some more ridges highlighted.

And slightly offtopic, i think you need to make the hood intake a bit less boxy.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango - It's looking good, I was going to say pretty much what Snader already pointed out - several materials to break up your values, brightness of your light(s) and intensity of your shadows, and even adding a brightness/contrast post effect. I also believe that BradMyers had a post with an added AO method HERE
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it! And nice AO tutorial, in the end it's much easier than I thought it would be.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I've fiddled with it some more on this model I did a while ago. While I'm pretty happy with the results, I'm getting pretty choppy shadows, as evidenced in the third pictures. Is there any knobs I can tweak to make it smoother? I'm using a spotlight and a couple of omnis to light up certain parts the spot cant reach, no skylights.

x5p08z.jpg

wlpt1v.jpg

208jvux.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Use ray traced shadows, I dunno the exact settings in max.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff. I was waiting for a Maya setup but I think I might have to fire Max up for the first time in 6 years :O
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    how make the shadows less pixelated?
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango - You can change your light shadow rendering method - it's default is set to a 512 shadow map. Under your light general parameters there's a shadows section, just hit the drop down and you can select the ray traced shadows as ZacD pointed out or increase your shadow map size in the "Shadow Map Params" tab. I usually just increase the size on heavier scenes due to increased rendering times with ray traced shadows.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting, thanks! I took a few test renders using ray traced shadows on the mustang but as you said, render times were around 3 minutes versus 20~30 seconds using shadow map. I just couldn't find the settings to increase the map size, glad you pointed that out for me.

Edit: Also, I meant to comment this before but I forgot. Catmull-Rom really makes a BIG difference as far as I could tell, renders look much sharper and the shades of grey pop out a little more, so if anyone's not achieving good results check if you're using it instead of the default Area filter.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    n.B. : The link from the wiki is outdate, use this one instead http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/tutorials.htm
  • predpaul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys I've been looking for a way of rendering like this for ages without the Light Tracer XD. I clicked on the Tut link and got a 404 error has it been removed? :(
  • Jet_Pilot
  • predpaul
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    Here is something else one can do on top.

-Grab the 3DSMax 'normalmap maker' shader from Ben Cloward's folio (or setup a scene with the RGB normalmap lights)
    -Apply to the highpoly model
    -Make a animation>preview of this (renders the viewport to a file) at full res
    -Take that "normalmap" in crazybump or xnormal, convert it to AO
    -Overlay that on top of the render.

BAM, instand dark pits and bright peaks on the render. It looks great, kindof like the recent Appleseed and Vexile movies. Will post examples later!

pior can you post some examples please?

or did anybody tried this technique?