Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Time Poster

IMG%5DIMG%5Da%3EThis is my MP7-A1 i tried to keep it at a decent poly level. It came out to 3526 tris.
new-MP7.jpg

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Hey weaze, you've done a decent job here. could you post a wireframe so we can see your mesh?

The texture is lacking a bit. There are scratches in places that it doesn't always make sense, and the changes in value are pretty much consistent over the entire texture. Try to show more wear and tear in places that the gun will be in contact with objects more, i.e. hands, cases, etc.

I have a feeling you'd get a lot more out of this if you chamfered some edges, which probably wouldn't hurt your poly count much if you optimize correctly. Do you have any bump or specular on this? It looks pretty flat over its entire surface.

Good start here, give it some love in the texture and it'll make a huge difference.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have normal and occlusion maps on this?

Vj
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems like there are some sharp angles for so many polies. We need wires.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I agree with Adam on the chamfering bits. It looks really "boxy" atm. Remember its most important to get you sillohette down, that can't be faked. I can see that you have some areas that will cost you a lot of tris, but much of it is minor detail, where the chamfers will make your gun take on a whole new form.
    Good luck man.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    the MP7 is also largely plastic, so there isn't a lot of paint to be chipped off.

Good form, just work on the texture.
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks, I'm at work right now. I'll post the wireframe when i get home. thanks for the input.
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the wire-frame, diffuse, and norm. Sorry it took so long to get back on here. I've been very busy.
    MP7-wireframe.jpg
    MP7-color.jpg
    MP7-norm.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    this helps a bit... i still think your low poly can use some work though, yet it's still hard to tell.

lets see a rendered version of your prop, with a wirefram superimposed on top of it - if you know how of course, it would take your critiques a lot further

your normal map looks good so far, but i think that you can make this weapon MUCH MUCH more dynamic... use your normal map to fake more of the details you're currently using geometry for.

check out the polycount environment wiki for tips on this.

look at some other weapon threads to see a better format for recieving crits.
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    this helps a bit... i still think your low poly can use some work though, yet it's still hard to tell.

lets see a rendered version of your prop, with a wirefram superimposed on top of it - if you know how of course, it would take your critiques a lot further

your normal map looks good so far, but i think that you can make this weapon MUCH MUCH more dynamic... use your normal map to fake more of the details you're currently using geometry for.

check out the polycount environment wiki for tips on this.

look at some other weapon threads to see a better format for recieving crits.
    ok, im still sorta new, to the site where do i go to find the environment wiki, and can i just put the wireframe over the render in photoshop?
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    go easier on the white scratches ged rid of half of them and reduce the other half by 50% opacity
    and than bake some ao into your defuse map and you will start to have a winner...
  • WeaZe
  • WeaZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    the MP7 is also largely plastic, so there isn't a lot of paint to be chipped off.

Good form, just work on the texture.

Could you point out what parts are plastic, even with all the pictures i have a can't tell.