Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Show Your Dominance War Spirit

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Show Your Dominance War Spirit

Dominance War IV starts Feb 20th with the first of two mini challenges and then the full competition kicks off in March. We want to show the dominance of Polycount again this year so tell everyone you know to get ready and join the horde as we prepare to march forward!

Here are some posters that were put together of 2D and 3D winners. Post these at your school, work, mall, or anywhere you want. Once you do, take a picture of it and show the world your spirit for this years Dominance War. This is an attempt to make this years competition better than ever by spreading the word to those out there who don't already know what the Dominance War is.

So here are some free for all to download and print, massive 5400x3400 Dominance War Posters!

Sample:

samplepost.JPG

Posters:

2D

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominanc...2dprintone.jpg
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominanc...2dprinttwo.jpg

3D

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominanc...port/imrod.jpg
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominanc...ort/biggun.jpg

POLYCOUNT VERSIONS
(click on images for full sized versions)

pandicarus_print_thumb.jpg

* I would like to get some more polycount specific versions so anyone that finished last year or placed please pm me with a link or way I can get a nice high res version. Thanks.

** These posters are not up for critique, complaints, etc. Please do not post in here unless it is to show your support for Polycount and Dominance War IV. Thank You.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Where can I get one of Mike Voeller's Panda? That was the real winner for me :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    maybe its just me, but such a large contest would deserve some better typo work..its just plain awful.

nice idea though - breaking up some borders :)
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    have to agree with kio, the typo is just plain gruesome to look at.

never do use red characters on a multi coloured background... just never do (except the background is really dark - like <10% brightness)

don't like the bottom font either, rather looks like "old fart" than dominance to me, but that maybe just my taste... :D

but great idea spreading the word :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys. not to sound like a jerk here but i didn't make these and this isn't a crit the free posters thread. It was just to spread the word.

Thanks
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Jesse. . . this is polycount. . .
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Jesse. . . this is polycount. . .

yeah you are right and I just said that people need to stop being total dicks all the time around here and just enjoy free shit.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Yeah it's meant to be spread in schools i guess it's ok then that it looks like made by a schoolkid, also it's dominance war III it really needs 3 different fonts on one page, think of the possibilities in dominance war 4 or 5! Awesome.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    Yeah it's meant to be spread in schools i guess it's ok then that it looks like made by a schoolkid, also it's dominance war III it really needs 3 different fonts on one page, think of the possibilities in dominance war 4 or 5! Awesome.
    Dominance War III?
    I'm printing these bad boys out today and spamming them around the office like war propaganda material. "Polycount wants you!"

-caseyjones
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG
    font nazis on the defensive!

You're all effing photoshop wizzz@rds, clone stamp out the offending fonts and fix it yourselfs (if yore man enough!)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caseyjones wrote: »
    Dominance War III?

whoops, then there is definitely one font more needed, but i guess the uber blurred flags are a good exchange for that :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys. Someone from another forum involved with DW4 made these posters and asked if we'd like to share them.

If you don't like the font choices either a.) Don't use the posters b.) Make your own to share with us or C.) Don't comment.

It's simple really. Fair warning.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Adam, warning message recieved, but let me have some concluding words, as I feel it is getting to a personal level by being called font nazi...
    Sweet, I'll print some out at work and get them distributed there and over at the nearest art school. Yay interns!

Font nazis - Posters are meant to communicate information quickly... so mission accomplished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poster
    Posters are designed to be both eye-catching and convey information.
    so my opinion is "mission NOT accomplished".

I feel polycount and gameartisan have much more to offer than just a plain boring and not really well crafted poster to advertise their competitions... just my 2 cents... but hey doesn't count anyway, because after all I am a font nazi in your eyes...
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    good god....

GO POLYCOUNT FTW! LETS ROCK THIS LIKE WE DID THE UNEARTHLY, BITCHES!!!!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    wtf fair warning Nazi indeed
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I like it, is that wrong? Ha ha. Anyways, glad to have the high res images, thanks! Really looking forward to DWIV.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Hey lets look at it like this, this thread is Prime Polycount, Perfection in the face of death! Even the slightest of details, no matter how pointless are considered!

Huzaaaarrhh!!

(yeah thats some blurry flags right there... why not make your own?)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be personal, I should of said "sandy vaginas" instead
  • Kalahari_Ninja
    Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to the whole comp, mostly because I come from South Africa. Now before you all slander the hell outa my country, we are up to date with technology, so I'm not as in totally lost. but I was wondering, if I wanted to enter DW4, how do I actually do that? I have, which I believe, is a pretty awesome game concept with a pretty vivid protaginist. I mean, how do you enter, what do you submit, how do you submit it? Please guys, any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Cheers
    The Ninja from the Kalahari (o, the Kalahari is the African Savannah, if you didn't know what I was talking about) hehe
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we've got semester's break at the moment, gonna post this into our students network...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to the whole comp, mostly because I come from South Africa. Now before you all slander the hell outa my country, we are up to date with technology, so I'm not as in totally lost. but I was wondering, if I wanted to enter DW4, how do I actually do that? I have, which I believe, is a pretty awesome game concept with a pretty vivid protaginist. I mean, how do you enter, what do you submit, how do you submit it? Please guys, any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Cheers
    The Ninja from the Kalahari (o, the Kalahari is the African Savannah, if you didn't know what I was talking about) hehe
    Welcome to the forums, dude.

I'll start by saying that using concepts created before the Dominance War would be against the rules of the Dominance War. All work created for the comp would technically have to be created after the comp begins. Chances are that the concept you have may not entirely fit within the brief of the competition anyway.

Because you aren't familiar with the Dominance War, here are the rules and regulations for the previous three wars which you can look over to get a rough idea of how the competition is structured.
    Dominance War I rules
    Dominance War II rules
    Dominance War III rules

You have less than a month until the main Dominance War challenge begins (and a mini comp starting up in a few days - so stay tuned), so keep checking back here for updates or alternative go to dominancewar.com directly for any official information.

I hope that helps and apologies for the thread de-rail :P

-caseyjones
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Some really ugly posters I must admit :P

Welcome here, Kalahari!!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandy nazi vagina!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Hi adamBrome, Jesse Moody, or one of the polycount gods that know things like "who watches the watchmen?" and other great tidbits of info (this questions for you). I don't know much about the Dominance war other than seeing some great artwork people have contributed in the past online.

I was wondering did I have to be a part of the mini-challenge to be eligible to enter in the final competition in March as a polycount member?

I'm not even a character artist, I'm an Environment Artist....so I'm really just going to try and make an attempt is all. I'll be happy if I produce a really cool staff...if that is even allowed. Even if people cry out loudly at how bad the final image is :) i'd like to do it more for myself than anything.

I haven't been able to find a FAQ on how to enter on the dominance war site. I just find a lot of corporate sponsorship information, and various member prices. Is this a free competition?

My assumption is that you're supposed to wait until it kicks off on March 12th. Are you supposed to go to the dominancewar.com site on that date and look for the info on rules & registration?

Again, I apologize for my DW ignorance.

Edit: I saw the mini-challenge posts. Congrats to all you fantastic polycounters. I should have been on the boards a month ago!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train...

Feel free to check out this thread here. It's filled with Questions and Answers.

Also to sum things up quickly. I'm an environment guy as well so don't worry. You don't have to do the mini challenges. Those were just extra to see what people would come up with and it's a side comp from the main challenge.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jesse, it's appreciated :)

There should be a junior dominance war for guys like me haha, I've only done enviros and assets really. It is a way to motivate artists to getting something done, and on a deadline so kudos to the character dudes out there that will conquer for polycount!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I entered waay back in the first Dom War, and tried to enter last year's (but never got it finished). Hopefully this year I can make it.

Meanwhile, GOOOOOO GREEN AND BLACK!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K dudes, it's March 12th. Anyone know how to find the rules and regulations, the theme and all that for DWIV? I'd like to get started on it.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    DW posting is notoriously late ... time to spam f5 all day at work :P
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard the challenge won't start until Saturday.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, they posted that on gameartisans... :-( It's a shame. Damnit. I'm beginning to loose my buildup soon :D haha, LET ME LOOOSE! WAAAAAAAAAAR!
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Not until saturday? what a rip. Hey snefer, did you finish your desert guy? that was a really good piece!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Always late LOL

That's not something good ^^
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Dominance Wait is on OMG!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    This again...

I know he's one guy, and doing us all a favor and all of that...but when it becomes a given that you're going to be late every time...it kinda knocks some pro points off this whole affair. Why not just schedule it for a week later if you know you'll be late...or use some of that prize money on an event manager instead? This thing is a business after all...it should be run like one.

I mean, no beef against Fred, what he's doing is awesome, but I think he needs some hired help.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Late? Again?
    Oh well, heck it's the games industry after all. :P
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui wrote: »
    Not until saturday? what a rip. Hey snefer, did you finish your desert guy? that was a really good piece!

I'm amost finished, just need some touchups, and working on a scene for him now ^^ but he will not be abandoned ^^

on topic: yeah, I can understand if they are late, a lot to do etc, but I think they should take that into account from the start. First I thought it was gonna start when the mini started, and this year I actually thought they were gonna start on time. And translating the brief can't be THAT hard, right? Too bad they haven't got the sponsors sorted out yet though. :(
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Dont mind it coming out late actually been really busy with an art test recently, propbably gonna finish that tonight cant wait to start, although i already have an idea of what im going to make because im not really a character artist :P
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    This actually gets me some time to get some PAYING work done...
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Doesnt bother me...I'm just glad we got a date instead of putting people at a disadvantage saying "hey..it's delayed."
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    NyneDown wrote: »
    I'm just glad we got a date

haha...dude, except that the dates dont mean a thing. Id almost rather be told "delayed until further notice" instead of getting a new "official" date every 2 days so that I can schedule my time effectively.

Then again this is pretty much exactly the way things go with my ACTUAL job so i guess they nailed the whole game art creation theme.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    my eyes are bleeding and my head might just explode scanners style all over my monitor.(which would be a waste, cause it's such a pretty monitor)

BRING THE RULES DAMMIT!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, now it's delayed until the 15th, so. Too bad, I wanted it to started on a weekend so I'd have some actual time to put into it in the start. See if it actually starts this time, hehe :D