Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mushroom Monster

Hello!

I am pretty new to this, so I am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to render this wire frame presentation with no shading etc. (Using Max)

m2.jpg
m1.jpg

I am currently working on his normal map and diffuse texture. Anyone have suggestions on how to paint him? I am imagining his skin as "fungus-y" and vibrant.

Feel free to critique anything about this model as well. I realize the mesh flow is kind of sloppy and maybe I could even reduce his poly count.

Thanks, your criticism would be well recieved!

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • Rens
    haha i love the wireframe, it has some realy weird things going on.

i would make his ass smaller by 50%
    probably bring in the heels, or give them a root endings (get rid of the human like heels)

if you had a good wireframe going on, you could have taken it into zbrush to create a very cool highres version.
    before you go on, i suggest you clean it up a bit.

for the texture, i would go with more white, green, sand colors, avoid the tipicle red.

for the non shaded, you can turn on the illumination of the material, see material editor

for next time, it might be better to ask for crits before continueing to textureing/normal mapping.
    that way you can correct alot of things before you are too far to go back.
    if i were you, i would not rush this, since it can become a realy cool portfolio piece if you work it out correctly.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    haha it reminds me of the alien from american dad... Roger, is it?
  • Thunder Pimp
    Hahaha Yeah he does look like Roger with a helmet on.

This geometry is so wild because I used ZBrush Topology to simplify poly count. Typically, what sub division level do pro artists like to get up to in ZBrush? I suppose if they use Z-topology they still try to get clean edge loops?

I'll post the high rez version and how he appears with normals tomorrow!

Rens, I like your recommendation for the color scheme. I will also reduce his ass but I am hoping that this character still remains humorous + hideous.

Any special techniques for hiding seams? Just paint edges same color? Clone stamp tool?
  • Rens
    make cuts in places that are the hardest to view.
    dark areas mostly work good, the less detail, the easier.
    or where you would have a hard transition, like under a belt, or where the color of the texture would drasticly change (need to think a step ahead for that one)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Ride
  • Mark Dygert
    Ha, that's pretty cool. Really dense in some areas, with kind of messed up topology but pretty cool.

As for the wireframe render, here's a quick solution:
    - Copy your mesh.
    - Apply a new material to it.
    - Set that material to wireframe (toward the top) change the color to black.
    - Apply a push modifier to your wireframe object and nudge it up a tiny bit. Render and bingo bango you're all hot and sexy.
  • Thunder Pimp
    m3.jpgm4.jpgm5.jpgm6.jpg

Haha my computer was barely able to handle millions of polys in Max. But I did manage to render to texture and come up with some normal mappage.

Some of the places that I mirrored in the UVW like the legs and hands had some green / inverted areas of the normal map. I just fixed this in Photoshop. Is that alright? I believe I can still see some wierdness on the hips from the front angle.

Perhaps we can begin to get a feel for the kind of texture I am envisioning. Weavy / bubbly contrasting organic tissue sprawls over this guys swamp encrusted butt.