Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SD40 - GAME MODEL - TRAINZ 2009

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
6170_1234014087_large.jpg

Hi
This is basically a game model that is part of trainz 2009 game

the model is 40k polies (yea i know its alot but its a sim game so all goes to the trains)

was baked using hi poly model and have normal/spec/gloss maps

i did some more work and polished the textures recently to make it a portfolio piece

Cheers

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    damn dude, nice work. the lighting seems pretty flat, but the model & textures look good.
  • carlo_c
    Nice work, I agree about the lighting. Some more contrast with the lighting could have defined the materials better (such as the rusty metal part at the front) but the modelling looks realy nice.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys, yea it does feel flat

ill change the light angle in the scene and try another render

i also noticed the gloss map wasnt on in that render :S
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Me and a buddy worked on some textures / small environment props for this game (freelance).

I haven't gotten a chance to see how it all turned out, but man... that's a beautiful piece man, and that's the in-game model? Damn :P1
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    this is made by auran games right? howd that company go after fury failed hard
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the lights, does it look better?

Trainz2009_2.jpg
  • The_Kozmonaut
    I Think it looks better but not by a huge amount. Either way though it is really awesome work
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    awesome work, but the render makes it seem made of plastic instead of metal :( keep at it man sweet mechanical modeling ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Cool model and textures, i think the materials could use a bit more work tho. I would like to see some more reflectivity right now on the metal, especially the exposed parts. Right now they read as a bit too plasticy because they dont have much reflection/shininess.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah that lighting isnt doing much for a great obj, can you tell us what the setup is?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys yea im still trying to make better render

all i have in the scene is Vray sunlight (andGI)

any recommendations regarding light setup?
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • TechSmith
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    I live next to a railroad track. The only parts of the trains here that reflect anything are the wheels. Even then it's only the parts that touch the tracks. OK the glass in the windows reflect too, but that's it.
  • vj_box
    The lighting is pretty decent on the train,but it doesn't go well with the BG i think.
    Try a more matching BG.And get more of a Directional lighting,as it looks more like ambient lighting now with no real hard lighting and contrast variations.If you notice in your latest lighting improvement,the shadows are real hard and will look better,if they are soft and gloomy.
    Apart from this,Awesome work on the textures! Just tweak ur lighting a bit so that your Spec and gloss maps pop out!

Vj
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    how about now?

Trainz2009_3.jpg
  • frubes
    if your using max lonewolf try this.

Add a skylight casting shadows, set its intensity to about 0.8 and make it the colour of your sky.
    Add a target directional light casting shadows, set its intensity to around 0.5 and up the res on the shadow map. Turn the shadow density down to around .9 and take the shadow colour away from black. This should emulate the sun.
    Add a fill light opposite the Sun not casting shadows, turn the intensity down on it. Try not to let it get rid of all your shadow detail.
    Then finally add a back light shooting toward your camera to get some rim light on there. Shouldnt cast shadows though.

That setup should give you some contrast in your shadows and help you emulate your scene background slightly better. If it feels washed out or too bright adjust your skylight value. You will most definately have to play with the values of the 4 lights but it should emulate an external scene better. Just render it in scanline, the result will be absoloutely fine for your folio. No need for Vray.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    btw heres the hires

Trainz2009_HP2.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    frubes wrote: »
    if your using max lonewolf try this.

Add a skylight casting shadows, set its intensity to about 0.8 and make it the colour of your sky.
    Add a target directional light casting shadows, set its intensity to around 0.5 and up the res on the shadow map. Turn the shadow density down to around .9 and take the shadow colour away from black. This should emulate the sun.
    Add a fill light opposite the Sun not casting shadows, turn the intensity down on it. Try not to let it get rid of all your shadow detail.
    Then finally add a back light shooting toward your camera to get some rim light on there. Shouldnt cast shadows though.

That setup should give you some contrast in your shadows and help you emulate your scene background slightly better. If it feels washed out or too bright adjust your skylight value. You will most definately have to play with the values of the 4 lights but it should emulate an external scene better. Just render it in scanline, the result will be absoloutely fine for your folio. No need for Vray.

thanx man ill try that tonight :D