Home Technical Talk

anyone know how to render vertex alpha in maya mental ray?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I've been helped out with vertex colour but we can't figure out how to render vertex alpha in maya mental ray anyone know?

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am wondering the same thing ... care to elaborate how you teach mental ray to draw / consider vertex colors ?! because i am already stuck at that ...
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Warby: Connect the colorSet[#].colorName from your objects shape node to cpvSet[#] in a mentalrayVertexColor node (you find it in the "textures" tab of the mr nodes)
    Then hook up the outColor from that node to whatever you wan't it to control.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    ill try that thanks :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    works like a charm thanks boys :D
  • mikelantel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I'm still trying to figure this out. The explanation sounds like gibberish to me. I'm on Maya 2009. Could someone provide a more verbose explanation or screenshots?
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    - open the hyper shade
    - click on your objects material with right mouse button drag it down to graph network
    - now in the window below you should see a really simple material network.
    - open you outliner ( default h)
    - find your object
    - press the little plus on the left of your object ( might have to activate shape view first in the top left menu)
    - select the child (thats the shape)
    - drag it into the material browser with the simple material network shown ...a new icon will appear there representing your shape
    - than middle mouse drag the shape onto you material and in the pop up choose OTHER
    - a new window will pop up on the left find and select the colorSet[#].colorName
    - and on the right find and select: cpvSet[#] ... both are pretty well hidden ^^

done
  • mikelantel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. I'll give this a try. Just wanted to post a THANKS!
  • mikelantel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finding the left side output is a breeze. The right side however has nothing like noted in the post. Nothing cpv'ish. I did a wildcard search for it and couldn't find anything. I had show hidden on, looked through everything. Any ideas?
  • mikelantel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a colorPerVertex with a child vertexColor but neither are selectable.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Here you go. I hope this helps. (Don't forget to assign the material to the object)

EDIT: You might not have a cpvSets[0], but if you connect it directly to cpvSets it will create one. Or just hit the "Add new item" button in the mentalrayVertexColors node first.

Screenshot_vrtx_clr.jpg
  • Julinoleum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come that when I connect this network in the exact same way, when I render the scene, the shader is pitch black. It's not at all the vtx color the same color as the used vtxcolor set. I tried many times without success. I am no beginner so, my mental ray is activated, I setted everything on the good nods, didnt forget to assign the shader to the object.

but still... no success....

Im using 2009