Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Remake

Okey guys, sorry for the skill level, I don't have half as much as most people around here, but I just don't know where else to go for feedback

I'm tryng to make this particular character, Christie from the Dead or Alive Fighting game series, tho a bit of a half life2 way (basically getting the character's concept down and working stuff like clothes, textures, overall anatomy (showing parts of the body like collar bones, elbow, ribs etc... wich are purposely omited on D.o.A.), but I started getting annoyed for not getting the face to look right, I know the hair is still far off, may have to redoit from scratch again (just tired, did that 4 times already), but is there anything else I can do about the face?
(it's a bit of a fanboy thing, bear with it, plz? <=D )

first try:
wipchristiews6.jpg

adjusting head polies (hair fully redonne):
wipchristie2mo8.jpg

currently:
wipchristie3gu2.jpg
progressyo8.jpg

reference image:
christiereferencehq4.jpg

on a side note, I know I'm FAR AWAY from beating a render like this... but I'd still like to try, so if anyone has a clue, what elements do you thing are behind this?
eileen.jpg (from Silent Hill I think)

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice progress on Chrissie, made a paintover...
    Paintover--2.gif
    Hope it helps.
  • vj_box
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot xD the neck's size totally scaped my mind...
    now on the chin&jaw smoothness... you sure?, sorry it's just that i've allways focused on her chin/jaw outline when making drawings... and on the edit, the sharpness of the jaw was removed... I mean its IS there I'll resist a little bit on changing that... but I'm persuadable (cuz I learned not to trust my brain, it plays dirty tricks, to keep me from accepting things)
    christiereferencevs3.jpg

(white outlines of what I mean by sharpness of her jaw)... I know the Dead or Alive girls have a very animeish anatomy, but Christie's got to be the one that stays in the far corner of the concept, looking almost... "anatomically correct"

about the hair...:
    should I remake it from scratch again (already did it a few times, a few more wouldn't hurt)? xD

the irony is that (imo) it looks almsot right from all angles, except front xP (wich ultimately kills it)
    hairprogressup2.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeh, some of the angles of the jaw show it to be a little bit more pointed than your model. The paintover was a bit extreme there :poly136: so it's a little less pointy than that.
    The nose shape was a major thing for me, she's got one of those slightly upturned piggy noses that's still cute because it's small, after that it was texture saturation and colour of the iris and lips.
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vj_box wrote: »
    Sexy!

sorry, I started to wonder why would say that when I just couldn't add the "sexy appeal" in my model, it simply lacks the "sweetness" of the original concept (excuse the fanboy in me speaking, he's helpless).

then only now I understand that if you scroll down the thread fast and not read the subtitles, it looks like a single progression work thing, when it's not... my work progress goes to the forth image, fifth is how the original character really looks in Dead or Alive, Sixth image is some girl from Silent Hill (I was just asking if anyone knows how to make a render like that)

sorry, didn't mean to trick anyone into it =.=

GCMP, I forgot to mention, I did change the jaw (only the proportions tho (using, ffd box), kept the sharpness or the corners of her jaw), the overall proportion change is very small... it's already present on the lastest screen
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head changed little, (a lot on my eyes, I guess the mesh is much closer to the real thing), spent a lot of time using a LOT of FFD 3x3x3 4x4x4 on the hair xD, accidentaly coming up with a nice way to make hair planes bend on top of each other without crossing (overlaps), I may have pushed it too much tho... (pretty much any sort of physics/wind/gravity may make the hair overlap =.= ), also... I don't really see textures distortion on the hair but I may have to reuvmap it as well (it was A LOT of FFDs)

totally took GCMP advises, tho after payng much attention to an huge collection of screenshots and some AVIs, I'm tryng to understand the shape of her jaw above all (looks sharp like a V when your view is just a little high, and almost squary if just a little below), I can almost understand it now... I think...

(didn't change the eye color, I'm certain it's green, actually that sea-like-green), wich might look blue under any blue light

Hair is a real pain... basically it goes against my personal understanding of anatomy, cuz when I take renders of my model and compare it with images of Christie, then the very top of the head is way higher than in my model, so my dilema... totally go for the character and ignore my personal concept of anatomy, or try to merge the character's concept with my anatomy? (but then I'm sacrificing part of the characters original concept)

anyways, if anyone sees something (anything) that you think is wrong, please tell, I may resist making the change but I'm very persuadable =D

progressea3.jpg
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    again, sorry for the quality and the fact this is taking me so dam long (I'm still tryng to find my way into normal painting, critics all wellcome...

normal map was obtained from Xnormal (still building this comp, haven't got around an offboard 3d card yet, so I can't extract the normal map from zbrush, missing direct 3d files gl_ext... error or something like that)

renderih6.jpg

sooo... on to my questions... :

perhappes anyone could direct a tutorial that talks about sharp details on Zbrush (everytime I reduce the size of the brush to real tiny, I get dots instead of a brush, tryed changing to freehand style, but still dots when I set it very low)

I'm still checking tutorials on occlusion maps, I get how to bake them, but where are they supposed to go? my specular map? noone says that!

hair is making too dark shadows on the head, I'm considering bakings 2 versions, one with hair and one without, and manually combine/adjust the lighting in photoshop, but, is there a proper way to fix that?

I know the character similarity is still not there, but I also don't know what else to adjust (this is so disturbing, it's just NOT the same, but I can't tell what is wrong either), other then the face, I need to retexture the hair...

had more questions in mind but I forgot them =.=

original character: Christie from Dead or Alive Series:
    christiereferencehq4.jpg
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so... I'm still tryng to get this to look... eh... good, I guess, before I apply any weighing/rigging etc...

so, what would you change about it, if it were yours?

currently...:
    renderfl2.jpg

ps.: I reeeeeally would like to try throwing some interesting shaders in it, but I really don't know where to go from here all I've set are diffuse, specular and normal... if anyone would give a few directions, I'd really apreciate (stuff like, how to make, cloth, jeans)... is there an alternate shader that simulate sub surface scatter in max, (something lower, that won't just look like plain diffuse textures, I tryed using the sss mental ray thing, but every time I set it, the lighting seens to erase my textures... really messed up)