Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – GED

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Hi Polycount!

Im Glenn Donaldson, currently a 3D artist for a marketing and design company and I made this website GD3Dart.com with the little bit of web skills and help I could get from those around me.

Ive recently updated my website as Im thinking about trying to get into the game industry sometime soon so I thought it was about time I pimp it on polycount.

What do you think?

http://www.gd3dart.com/?page=3dart

Ive got quite a variety of work and Ive tried my best to organise it in a helpful way, Im guessing people are going to tell me to focus more in one career path :P

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    2 things I think you might want to change: get rid of the monster squirrel as it's your weakest piece, and don't use that image popup script, it makes it impossible to open multiple images at a time in tabs.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks polyhertz I will get rid of the monster squirrell it was just a 3 hour doodle anyway but some people seemed to like the character so thats why I left it in.

I really like lightbox and think its a good way to view a portfolio but you bring up a good point. I never would have expected people to want to open multiple images at once but now that you mention it I do see how some people might want that as they can look at one image while all the others have loaded up in the other tabs.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice portfolio, Ged. The lightbox doesnt bother me...I actually think it brings a little professionalism to the site. I do think the "Game Art" page is a bit redundant since you already have a "3d" page with the same work on it. It might benefit you to re-organize the "3d" page and split up your game art from your other pieces. But yea...focusing on a certain path wouldnt hurt either. I really dig your character work man....good luck on the job hunt :-)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    NyneDown wrote: »
    Nice portfolio, Ged. The lightbox doesnt bother me...I actually think it brings a little professionalism to the site. I do think the "Game Art" page is a bit redundant since you already have a "3d" page with the same work on it. It might benefit you to re-organize the "3d" page and split up your game art from your other pieces.

Thanks Nynedown I did think of dividing up the 3D page and into gameart and non game art but that proved confusing because its all sorted chronologically by year at the moment so the easiest way I could think of to show off just game art was to have a new page for it.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I love the Necro-blade! very cool.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks Pixelgoat its the only thing Ive really properly sculpted this year so far, looking forward to Dom War :). I loved your UC entry by the way and unless Im mistaken it was in 3D world this month?

Thanks for the comments and crits so far, keep them coming if you can think of anything I should do to the site or show on the site to make it better, any suggestions that may help with getting jobs or presentation etc?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey Ged, nice to see you have a new portfolio up. I think you have come a long way since last years dominance war when I first found you here on polycount. Personally, I like the year to year setup you have right now, mainly for my own purposes of seeing you grow as an artist. However, I am not sure if it will work to your advantage if you are trying to get a game art job. I think it might be a turn off to potential employers when they see work that is not of the actual caliber you can do now.

Therefore, you might want to pick only your top 10, fully completed works and leave the other older ones out. I also found the game art section kind of redundant as well as NyneDown pointed out. Maybe if you go with my suggestion, you can just categorize your work on a single page layout.

Anyways, I see that you have been really active over at GA, and your work is looking really good.

Good luck man!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Anyways, I see that you have been really active over at GA, and your work is looking really good.

Good luck man!

Thanks Brad Ive been active over there cause theyve had some good challenges lately hehe :) I think as a portfolio or documentation of my whole body of work the website works but as a tool to apply for jobs its probably showing too much as you say, perhaps I will just make a seperate little website with my best works just to use when applying for work?