Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Aether(MMOEXG) - Looking for Artists

We are looking for more members to help us develop Aether. It's an MMOEXG. A new Genre in the gaming community.

Here is the GDD:(Game Design Document)

Aether
The ideas behind an alternate reality

Introduction
“Aether” is a unique perspective depicting an alternate history on a planet where the four elements fight a never-ending battle for power. The harmonious balance that once existed was destroyed shortly after the birth of the planet. The Strands of Aether which bound the elements together shattered, leaving four independent factions (Earth, Fire, Water, and Wind), each with its own motives, searching to overpower the rest. Designed to be created as a 3D MMOEXG or EXG (Massively Multiplayer Online (Exploration Game)), “Aether” can only see its true potential played through a PC. Although as the latter it could also fare well on a console.

Background
For a MMOEXG or an EXG without fauna to succeed, the world must be expansive enough and beautiful enough for players to A. always have there be a place that hasn’t been seen and B. have the world itself (the visuals) constantly amaze them. Thus we find the need to utilize 100% of technology’s capabilities to do so. After doing research into many of the major game engines that we see being used today, I feel that the most effective way of creating this expansive world is to base it off of a custom created engine.

Races

Earth
A race of somewhat tribalistic elementals, that spend most of their time living in the trees. Their shape resembles that of a Gorilla, and they also walk using their giant arms as cruches of sorts. Mud lines the stone core, creating an illusion of "skin". It is not rare to find flora growing on the elementals themselves. The Earth seek to protect what is already living, and restore what the fire has already destroyed.

Fire
Always seeking to obtain more power, the Fire rarely stay in one spot, although it is said that deep within the mountains is the spawning ground of fire sprites. Fire is a rather peculiar race, for by merely being, they can spawn more sprites, and eventually devour the land like a plague. Although few in number, and rather small in size, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Wind
Often seen traveling alongside their major city, the wind believe themselves to be superior to all other races, and thus believe that everything is theirs. For the great prophets of the wind say that being closest to the edge of the planet makes them closest to Aether. The Wind stands tall when compared to other beings, with many sharp edges lining their body. The wind intends to use the Fire for their own gain, and have them wipe out the Earth, so that Wind's one true weakness will be eliminated.

Water
Living in cities along the coasts of the world, the water perfer to stay out of the useless quarrels between the other elements. Although some (like the fire) see them as cowardly, they merely claim its a state of inactive action. (wu-wei for those who don't know) Their body flows like the sea that they originated from, constantly morphing shapes, dripping water, and absorbing more water from the atmosphere. Although they tend to stay out of the fight, they will take action when necessary.

Aether
Aether could be thought of as a spider's web of sorts. When it was alive it bound the other elements in place, making sure that one would not over-step it's authority. But after the mysterious destruction of the web, only traces of it can be found. It is "The Void" .
For there to be anything there must first be nothing,
and when one controls the absence of things, one controls everything.

Description
Fauna have yet to develop on this new-born planet, yet Flora (the creations of the Earth element) line the far off horizon. Exotic and unusual plants of all shapes, colors, and sizes are littered throughout the world, ensuring that there is always something to be seen. Although marvelous and spectacular as the view may be, there is always an unknown darkness about the planet, a slight feeling that something is out of place.

In the beginning you start as choosing one of the four elemental races, each of which has a unique and distinct lifestyle and innate personality. Although not one race is “Aligned” with another it is possible to become trusted by another race. This beginning choice is truly important for it decides the races that you are picking to be your enemies. The Alignments are as follows (From best to worst):

Earth – Water > Wind > Fire
Water – Earth > Fire > Wind
Wind - Fire > Earth > Water
Fire - Wind > Water > Earth

So, in essence it is “possible” for you to become trusted by any race, but the difficulty differs depending on the current state of relation between the two races. After you make this decision and decide on a character, you first see a cinematic of the creation of the world, and the destruction of the Aether. Then, you are thrown straight into the battle. (We will walk through this portion as a Fire Sprite)

A black screen appears, on the bottom center of the screen there is a flame flickering; it can be slightly heard in the background. The flame begins to grow, expanding and crackling louder, until it covers the screen and then you fade into existence. Around you there is a burning forest, littered with Fire Sprites climbing the trees and setting fire to every object they touch. Blackened trees fall in the distance, shaking the ground below you. One of the sprites runs up to you and informs you of the current situation regarding the battle, and asks that you assist them in their cause. If you agree, the raid against the earthen village begins, along with the instruction of your powers.

The battle system is not your average point and click or skill based system, but a system where you have all the abilities within your element’s control, but you also have to master the directional use of them over time. I.E. Fire can only use fire, but has many different ways of manipulating it. (Pillars; Bolts; AoE; Melee) So in a way, you are only as powerful as your knowledge of the variables. (But one must also consider their element’s natural weakness.)

The goal of the game is to manipulate the planet to your element’s benefit. As a Fire Sprite I seek to burn down all the forests of the world, whereas the Wind Elemental seeks to control the oceans. Through the destruction of the other’s villages, and tribes, one can attain more power for one’s own. It is not a game of gear, or time played; but simply a game of creation and destruction.

Key Features
• Expansive and immersive world exploring times unthought-of
• A unique and compelling story line for each individual element
• Innovative combat system that gives the power to the players
• Ability to create and destroy villages for the sake of your Element!*
• Combine and “Twist” elements to create massive destruction
• Shape the planet with your very own hands*
• Participate in battles so massive they disturb the harmony of time and space
• Travel, learn, and grow along side your friends as your elemental advances through the ages
• Discover the truth behind the destruction of “The strands of Aether”

*1 I.E. if you are an Earth Elemental and invoke a tree from the ground to smite your foe, it will remain there as long as it remains untouched, eventually it will even grow. Other Earth Elementals (NPCs) will gather and build in an area that is densely forested.
*2 I.E. Just as the Earth can invoke new flora, the Fire can destroy it. Every step a Fire Sprite takes permanently scorches the land below it.

Genre
Aether will be unlike anything you have seen to date, so I feel that it should begin with the creation of a new genre, MMOEXG.

Concept Art: Coming Soon!

Just a few things before i let this out into the wild.

Aether - the 5th element known as the void, or space, or nothingness.

Technology:

C++
Whatever you use for modelling(for now)

You may not be paid for this project if Aether is a success then you shall get paid evenly from what is left of the money.

~ The people for the team must be good at what they do.
~ If you apply you must be active.
~ Be kind while working with the rest of the team.

Details and Applications

C++ programmers will be well-informed of the details planned for Aether so they can program them accordingly. It is essential that you can easily program in C++ using correct conventions at all times, unless directed not to.

Graphics designers must be capable of creating fantasy-based textures, banners, themes, etc to a high standard. You must be able to accept constructive criticism, and improve on work submitted on request.

Modelers are expected to be able to create high standard models of characters, items, buildings, etc. You need to be independent and show progress regularly.

The People I Am Looking For...
C++ Programmers
Modelers
Graphic Artist

Please fill out this application:

Desired Position:

E-mail Address:

Can you speak fluent english:

Known programming languages:

How long have you been programming:

How would you describe your skill level compared to other programmers:

Proof of skill:

Additional comments/questions:

__________________________________________________ _______

Please PM or Email me at aetherexg@yahoo.com your application if you are interested.

Also i shall get a site up and running soon.

Please constructively criticize, and feel free to offer up some ideas.

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Gregg Braden's: The Divine Matrix talks a lot about the (A)ether as well. I like where your concept is heading. I am interested to see some of the concepts. I assume this will be heavy on environment since there are no mobs? A game that relies this much on how good the environment looks makes me very interested. I cant wait to see more.

Im not sure if I could play a game that has no mobs in it though Is that what you mean, no monsters at all?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the subject is looking for artists,
    but the "application" asks how long have you been programing.

what is "your" role in this? and how many dedicated team members with appropriate skill do you have on the team?