Home Technical Talk

blend shapes

i have a character made in single mesh.....................i skinned it and also painted weights.......................
now i want to apply blend shapes to its face for facial expressions.................plz guide me how to do it????????????????

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Select the polygons on the face that you want to apply blendshapes to, selecting a bit extra outside this area that you won't be editing.

Polygons Menu - Edit Mesh > Duplicate Face > Settings: Seperate duplicated faces (checked), Offset: 0

Do not move the duplicated faces. Deselect them, then select your full character, and then the duplicated faces. Then do: Animation Menu - Create Deformers > Wrap

You now have a wrap deformer. What this does is whatever changes happen to the wrap deformer, they will propogate to the matching vertices on your full character. Which means you can now duplicate the wrap deformer mesh for however many blendshapes you need, then set those blendshapes up to influence your wrap deformer.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might also be a smart idea to detach the head from the body. If the body isn't going to be a moving part of the blend shape, it will probably just slow things down by having all those un moving verts in the blend.