Home General Discussion

Bullshot Artist?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Saw this on blues. http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=17487&accountno=101

Check it out.
4-year college degree required
to
Perform advanced retouching of screenshots and teach skills to others as needed
Whoever applies and gets interviewed, don't be scared to demand premium for your skillz :thumbup:

:poly124:

Replies

• Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, if only I were good =P

I gotta question though, you think they would consider a BS in GaD a 4 year degree? I mean technically it's 4 year's worth of stuff crammed into 3, at least that's what admissions told me...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I understand that some parts are actually pretty important for presentation but I still can't help with the smirk on my face*
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It's definitely definitely important to have a graphic designer who handles advertisements and what not for your company.

I'm not really sure there is such a need for someone to just deal with screenshots that they would have enough work to keep them busy 8 hours every day...
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    aesir wrote: »
    I'm not really sure there is such a need for someone to just deal with screenshots that they would have enough work to keep them busy 8 hours every day...

I imagine the role would involve sexyfying all Activision marketing images.

Easy on the surface but if there is a quota...a quota and deadlines...AND follow up with printers/ magazine editors/ online review site editors...could be tough. Maybe that's why there's a suggestion you can train assistants or interns.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my first online alias was green.bacon. used it in quake.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18

At certain points of in a project, sure there is. If there's a magazine article or big showing, you can spend days on screenshots. And that's just for one title.

I can imagine if you're working for a publisher and you have tons of titles to work on, you can start to see literally thousands of screens piling up. Somebody has to sort them out.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oops, wrong thread... *shrugs*
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    At certain points of in a project, sure there is. If there's a magazine article or big showing, you can spend days on screenshots. And that's just for one title.

I can imagine if you're working for a publisher and you have tons of titles to work on, you can start to see literally thousands of screens piling up. Somebody has to sort them out.

Yea, I can imagine that at certain points of the production, you'd be busy for a few weeks or more getting everything set. But I wouldn't bring someone onto the payroll for it...

Who knows though, maybe because it's a publisher they really do have a ton of work for the guy..
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I would love that job. Creating game everybody wants but nobody gets in your mind.

hoorey

seriously, if it pays well ......
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know sounds kinda boring. If it's screens and nothing but screens, I would get depressed lol.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of other job duties listed besides "Printscreen Monkey", certainly enough to fill an 8-5.

The Art Services dept at Activision lends help to all departments and assists developers when needed (though I dont know how often that is utilized). A friend of mine works in the Programming Services dept and although they handle a lot of internal tools they also program a lot of installers to take the task off the Dev's shoulders, so there is some (however limited) game interaction.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    oops, wrong thread... *shrugs*

For a second there I thought I was going crazy... I was just reading the bacon thread, then I read your post and thought, "wait a second, where am I? WHAT'S GOING ON?!"