Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thriller's First Junk Post

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum. I have been looking at some stuff posted here and I must say generally the quality of works here is sky high!

Let me introduce myself. I have been working as a game artist from the year 2000. Before that I did more some nasty advertising gfx stuff. I started freelancing 2005 and for last years I had one part of work with video games and other part with other 3d -, video composition- or illustration related other stuff.
Anyway I've been now thinking of getting back to video games full time, but I see that my I lack work samples of the quality of the best third generation console game titles. All the PS2 and X-Box stuff looks already so out of date...

So now I'm dedicating a big part of my free time learning the new stuff and to build up a new portfolio. To be honest sometimes it makes me feel like an old dog trying to learn new tricks. ;)

Anyway to justify this post I'm putting up a zbrush screenshot from a demon character I've built a while ago. And will be posting more soon!

Please all the crits are more than welcome! And please don't be too polite, because this old dog is going to learn and all the crits will help!

sarvinen4.jpg

Replies

• Thriller Theater
    Work in progress head shot. Still lot's of work to do but all crits welcome.

Ugly Scary Lade:
    post8_big.jpg
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now im no sculpting guru, but it looks as if you've been fleshing out the general facial features of your models in high res. A big nono in my book .ie always make the most out of the lowest levels before you move on.

I'd also advice you to study the human face alittle bit. :\
  • Thriller Theater
    Hey thanks for crits. You are right, I made the mistake of moving things in hipoly-mode and now paying the price for it.

I have studied quite much anatomy and I'm comfortable drawing it, so i don't think that's the problem. Posting progress later now trying to correct the mess I've created in the lower subdiv-levels.

edit:

here is a version before moving things around in high-res too much and making that major fuck-up. Think I'm getting back and rework this topo a little and redo the details. The other model took me a lot of fighting with zbrush before getting it decent so I'm not gonna give up on this one either.

post9_big.jpg

here is also a wire view from zbrush.

post9_wire.jpg
  • Thriller Theater
    Ok retopology more or less complete. Now I think I'm better prepared for some zbrush sculpting. Just gonna retouch some vertex positions to make some polys more squares and then taking it into Zbrush.

All feedback welcome.

lady-wire.jpg

ladyhead-wire.jpg

ladyback-wire.jpg