Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diorama: Forest Scene [many images]

Hi all !

I'm making some new stuff for my real-time portfolio and I had the idea to realize "dioramas" (like Warhammer Golden Daemon scenes, ...) to constrain my work in a precise space and give it a pretty cool look :)

There are some WIP images, followed by the final result.

01: The Plint and early test of normal mapping, sculpting, and the CGFXs
(from Brice, look at this thread )

wip_01.jpg

wip_02.jpg

02: The 4 tileable terrain maps, blended with the TerrainBland CGFX on vertices color:

wip_05.jpg

wip_04.jpg

wip_03.gif

wip_06.jpg

wip_07.jpg

03: The first assets and the placement + On vertices AO tests

wip_08.jpg

wip_09.jpg

wip_10.jpg

wip_11.jpg

04: Trees and final placement

wip_12.jpg

wip_13.jpg

wip_14.jpg

wip_16.jpg

Replies

• Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the Final Result:

01.jpg

Some close up:

rt_01_a.jpg

rt_01_b.jpg

rt_01_c.jpg

and a TurnTable: HERE

The scene polycount is around 57K triangles.

Softwares used: Maya 8.5 - Unfold3D 4.0 - Photoshop CS2 - Mudbox 2009 - 3DCoat - CrazyBump 1.0

- Maya viewport rendering - 2 CGFX (from Brice Vandemoortele)
    - 4 blended-on-vertices tileable maps on the terrain
    - Ambient Occlusion baked and set on vertices

I know there still are some mistakes, like tha AO on the trees planes or I could ahve baked lightmaps for a better render, ...

Comments are welcome ! :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Thats awesome!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nice scene, I always like to see game foliage. Way too heavy tri's wise though.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Textures look blurry in the final renders. :shifty:
    Tree branches look flat.
    What is the base supposed to be? It looks boring and out of place.
  • fortheweekend_
    that looks awesome!, ive always loved the diorama approach to displaying work.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    nice work - and cool idea with the diorama.

i would reconsider the lighting of your final picture - its all black, gray and dull :(

why not add some lightmaps instead of the vertex lighting which doenst work all too good - try some nice 3point lighting with nice contrasting colours.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Textures look blurry in the final renders. :shifty:
    Tree branches look flat.
    What is the base supposed to be? It looks boring and out of place.

Try reading the OP before kicking the front door open and blurting out your criticisms.

On-topic: Awesome peace. I think it should get some proper lighting and some depth on the tree leaves. As well, whats the triangle count without the base? You mentioned this is for a real-time portfolio; 52,000 triangles for this is too steep.

Could you show the wires for us?

Otherwise cool peace for sure!
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks all for the comments.

For the lighting in general, I think I'm gonna simply try a render in a real-time engine... :)
    I'll do some wireframe snapshots tonight !

(but keep in mind the wire is made to use the vertices color set (for the blend or AO))
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    niiiiice! I look forward to the final final
    even a simple light setup will go a long way
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    really nice, a few sharper edges in the rocks just to contrast with the softness IMO
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    really nice, a few sharper edges in the rocks just to contrast with the softness IMO

Yeah,I agree with this. I'd also love to see some really nice different lighting setups.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    great job, one more reference for me now!
    Thanks for breakdown.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome piece love the diarama styles! Where did you get the terrain shader that blends textures based on vertex colours I would love to try it!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    sweet! I must admit, im a bit of a whore for dioramas...

I like the delicate placement of the foliage around the rocks. The only thing that I notice is that the leaves of the trees look a little flat and unfinished in the final. Might be that all they need is a bit more contrast and color variation to break up the flatness of the polyplanes. Just a nitpick though...otherwise its great.

...oh, and wheres the obligatory hidden woodland animal?
  • ColinRobertson
    Really beautiful work Ulrick, and nice use of the CGFX shader. I have a few crits; the tree leaves look too much like cards, try to minimize that by shaping polygons with the leaves texture and you should get much better results. Also, it would be nice to see a bit more specularity, but only a tiny bit as it looks very natural as it is! For example, it would be awesome to see a smattering of highlights coming off the leaves to give them more volume (which might be hard until you reshape the polys there). If you can, a sub surface effect on the backside of the leaves would be hot. It would also be nice to see some shadows on the ground from the light coming through the trees. I really like how you have a few falling leaves, it really adds to the atmosphere. You could push it even further if you wanted with some dust particles in the sunny areas...

Oh, and also the base... the texture is pretty dull. A more distinct wood grain would with a good spec map would go a long way.

I know thats a lot, but dont get me wrong, I really love it! I even saved it to my inspiration image folder! Great work!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    What s great idea for a environment piece. Could do a whole series of these.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    This'd be a cool idea for a mini challenge. An environment Diorama.

I like the presentation, not sure why it requires 57,000 tri's. I love the terrain textures they really blend nicely!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    well, the tri business has been stated, so I just say what I think. And I think it's a wonderful piece. Very nice mood going on there sir!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just for my own learning, how did you go about making your rocks? I cant see any seams, or stretching, so you must of done something good. Any tips?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice and cool idea too
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice and pleasing. Love the diorama idea too.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To All: Thanx for your comments & advices.
    I know the foliage is still a problem, I'll try to do better shapes in the future, or if I had time to work on it again.
    I'm trying to render it in Unreal Engine 3, just to have a pretty cool lightset and shadows...

To Saidin311:
    The topology is quite dense to have well-balanced AO, baked on vertices... I know foliage or even the terrain could be much more light in edge cutting if I had some SSAO (like in Stacraft 2) or something else... :)

To Odium: It's quite simple, there's the worlflow for the rocks:
    Basic shape in Maya > Sculpting in Mudbox > UVs on LowRes of Mudbox in Unfold3D > Painting in 3D with 3DCoat (or Mudbox 2009) > Normal mapping is a blend with the Mudbox baking and the diffuse conversion in CrazyBump...

3DCoat makes no seams, it even works quite well with the mipmapping...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    wip_16.jpg is a nice shot, I love how the wood on the fence looks in it. Meaty.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    incredible stuff! very inspiring. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Awesome work dude, and its really cool to see this built brick by brick so to speak. The only thing I am not completely sold on are the leaves on the trees. I'm no environment artist and I have never created 3d trees myself, but I can clearly see that the leaves are planes with alphas. I guess the trees leaves just look too cg to me while the rest looks so realistic. Is there any sort of detailing on the individual leaves or AO bake? If not, adding some might make them look less flat. Or maybe its just the lighting like others have mentioned?
    Anyways, its really good job you have done here and a minor detail that would make the whole piece perfect in my eyes. Nice work!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To add something to what brad said,you just need to place some proper alpha planes which kinda shapes up the tree in a more nice manner.Right now,yes it does look like a distant tree model which might not do any good for near visibility. You obviously need not place unique leaves,which is very tedious and also shoots up the poly budget.Instead you just have to go for a realistic placement of the poly planes and choose the best texture with good view angle.

Vj
  • ryanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanH polycounter lvl 18
    this is looking great. i really like the idea as well.

i think maybe adding some color would help. like orange flowers maybe. just so its not all green and brown.
  • zacko9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome scene. The lighting effect on the ground is pretty badass. Are these all real-time renders? I went to the site you mentioned to check out the free shader, but after looking at the tutorial on the site I don't really understand how to implement that shader in maya. If you have the time could you PM me and maybe share some of your tips. Thanks in advance.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for all your comments or critics (and sorry to react only one month later...).

I know the 2 major problems are: lighting (wich is simply not present, just AO) and the trees' alpha planes... For this one, I'll really try to make it better next time ^^

Zacko: In maya, you have to set the cgxf plugin on first (Plugin manager), then it will appears in the Maya common shaders, and you'll just have to link the .cgfx file on your hard disk... :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I dont have any crits for you at this point, since I haven't read the whole thread yet... but

just wanted to say that I think your diorama is very successful here and i like it quite a lot. it's a cool fresh idea. do more of 'em! :P cool!