Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: munchkin

Hi!

Here's a rough idea for a Custom Vehicle in Unreal Tournament 3, the 'cupcycle':

grab_23Jan09.jpg

Not totally sure the one-wheel will work yet, so may turn into a hover-cup! Any comments / feedback welcome, thank you.

Replies

• Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, if it hovers, call it the Hell Saucer ^_^

terrible pun ftw
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Marnik,

Cheers for the suggestion :)

Here's some more saucery - I'm not sure yet if it will hover, or be on one wheel...

cupcycle:

render_cupcycle_01Feb09_sml.jpg

or hovercup:

render_hovercup_01Feb09_sml.jpg
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is another rough idea I'm working on, an environment to 'Zbrush' and then take into the Unreal Tournament 3 Editor. A fancy trophy room where you find a gun hanging on the wall (a blunderbuss, I think) and a secret key hidden somewhere in the room...

grab_fancyroom03Feb09_1_sml.jpg
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just more idea development for the 'cupcycle' - I thought of doing a hover option as well, but I don't think it looks as good.

render_cupcycle_01Feb09_sml.jpgrender_hovercup_01Feb09_sml.jpg
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more modelling on the cupcycle...

Please feel free to leave any comments :)

render_cupcycle_08Feb09.jpg
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress

Just some more bits and pieces for my base mesh to prepare for Zbrushing. I'm planning to concentrate on focal points such as the guns, fireplace, bear rug, trophies and bust to Zbrush.

render_fancyroom26Feb09_3.jpg

render_fancyroom26Feb09_4.jpg

render_fancyroom26Feb09_2.jpg

Method

To make my life easier, I have used modular wall pieces in Max to construct the room and will repeat items wherever possible.

Lighting

Rough sketches for lighting ideas, to save me going to lots of detail where unnecessary:

sketch_ceiling_lighting.jpgsketch_fancyroom12Feb09.jpg

Unreal

Playing with getting a static mesh with a material into Unreal. I think the scale looks about right, though obviously the chair still needs plenty of work. (Please ignore the rest, was just thrown together as a quick test!)

grab_unreal_18Feb09_3.jpg
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress

I’m working on the rug to go in the middle of the room (no polar bears were harmed in the making!):

grab_zb_fancyroom_rug05Mar09.jpg
    grab_zb_fancyroom_rug06Mar09.jpg

Method

I’ve used a low poly mesh (in quads) from Max, and taken that into Zbrush to work on. Then I’m using one of the higher subdivision versions to be my high poly in Max, and using one on the lower subdivisions as my low poly, as it has remained in quads. I’m going to attempt the fur and finer details in texturing, as opposed to using Zbrush, to see if this will help to keep the file a manageable size.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    you could use fur alpha textures in zbrush with not much z value just to get something for the lighting to catch on in the normal map? good work anyway
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged, thanks for that :)
    - I've been working with some 'furbrushes' in Zbrush, this still needs more work, but I think it's starting to look like fur.

grab_zb_fancyroom_rug13Mar09.jpg

All comments are much appreciated :poly136:
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A long overdue update...

ZBrush
    ======

Here are renders of the final ZBrush models for the bear rug and trophy:

render_fancyroom_bearrug24Aug09.jpg

render_fancyroom_trophy24Aug09.jpg

Unreal
    =====

Put together floor, ceiling and meshes

grab_ut_fancyroom_start.jpg

grab_ut_fancyroom_puttingtogether.jpg

Added textures

grab_ut_fancyroom_addingtexture.jpg

Glow material - to make the key apparent as an item to find, I've applied a glowing material to it, using a similar material within Unreal as a reference point.

grab_ut_fancyroom_nearlyfinished.jpg

Finishing
    =======

Some finished screengrabs:

grab_ut_fancyroom_17Aug09_1.jpg

grab_ut_fancyroom_17Aug09_2.jpg

grab_ut_fancyroom_17Aug09_3.jpg

grab_ut_fancyroom_17Aug09_4.jpg

If I develop this further, some things that I would do would be to work on the lighting more, add more furniture and differing textures to break up the tiling and add more objects, such as a fire in the fireplace.
  • munchkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I haven't posted in a while, but here's a tower I'm working on as a portfolio piece and I'd really appreciate any feedback. It's heavily influenced by the film "Tangled". This is the high poly WIP and I think I'll tackle the roof tiles next (I'm planning to model tiles to bake into a texture).

Any tips or comments would be great! Thanks for looking!

render_15_Feb_2012_2.jpg

render_15_Feb_2012.jpg